Thread: V for Vendetta Review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 V for Vendetta Review 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP mofo196's Avatar
    I know this isn't available on UMD yet, but I'm sure most of you will download it somewheres. Besides, nobody posts in this subforum.

There was a time when I thought Alan Moore was going to save the world from shitty media. In a way I still feel thatâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s true, but it certainly wonâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t be through film. The bottom line is that if you have ANY love for good storytelling, you will run out and buy all of MooreÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s work the way it was meant to be enjoyed in graphic novel form. There really is no excuse to get a watered down experience by watching movies like ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“From Hellâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã‚? and now, ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“V for Vendettaâ â‚ ¬Â?.

I originally read ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“V for Vendettaâ â‚ ¬Â? about 5 years ago and thought it was pretty good , but not good enough for me to remember much of it. In fact, all I really remember was enjoying it a great deal. As such, I was kinda of puzzled when watching the movie not sure how much of it had been changed.

It doesnÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t really matter though. ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“V for Vendettaâ â‚ ¬Â? is the most boring movie IÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€š ¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve seen in quite some time. It really goes nowhere and does it as slowly as possible. This isnâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t to say that the movie doesnÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t have a good plot. After all it is an Alan Moore story. The problem is the content. It doesnÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t make for a very good movie.

The basic plot may seem familiar to a lot of readers out there, but understand the original graphic novel was written over 20 years ago. In an alternate, modern England an Orwellian government rules with an iron fist. Someone (whom the government done wronged as is the case in all stories like this) rebels and blows things up aÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€š ¬Å¾Ã‚¢la Guy Fawkes (look him up on wikipedia). The man (named V) holds a grudge against the government and wears a Guy Fawkes mask to cover his disfigured face. His ultimate goal is to blow up Parliament and along the way picks up Natalie Portman, thus throwing her world into chaos as well.

Hereâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s the problem. It isnâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t an action movie and it wants to be. The character V is a deadly adversary, but only gets in about 3 minutes of action in the whole 140 minute debacle. The rest of it seems to be taken up with V quoting Shakespeare and seeming rather learned. This gets old very quickly.

Another problem is that the movie has a certain ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“big talking head in chargeâà ƒÆ’¢â€šà ƒâ€šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€š? thing going on. How many movies have we seen where the bad guy is nothing more than a big head talking on a screen? ItÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s a direct rip-off of 1984, and in movie form itÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s old hat.

Finally, what exactly is the message here? Had this movie been released 20 or even 10 years ago, the message of standing up against an oppressive government might have meant something or at least had some kind of impact. In todayÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s post 9/11 world, thereÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s enough anti-government sentiment to make any political message this movie may have as moot. In the end, the V character IS A TERRORIST! Make no mistake. Violence against a government for an alternate point of view is terrorism. Donâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t think for one second that the people flying those planes into the World Trade Center didnâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t think they were doing the right thing. The movie forces you to root for the terrorist! Had this been a different movie, the spin could be made so we root for the government and against V.

Bottom line is that you should read the graphic novel. I certainly wouldnâà ƒÆ’¢â€šà ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠀šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t recommend starting here though if you want to start reading Moore. Start with ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“The Watchmenâ â‚ ¬Â? and then go directly to ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“From Hellâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã‚?.

Oh, one last thing. No matter what you may believe from the trailers, this movie was NOT directed by the Warchowski (sp?) brothers. They only produced it. Those guys are overrated anyway.
    --
    Oh people, know that you have committed great sins. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    Excellent review, mofo. I was intrigued by the trailers and thought that this movie may have potential. I was tempted to see it in the theatre but after reading your review it seems like the type of movie that should only be considered for a rental at best.

Off topic: I like your style of writing reviews mofo. If this site ever gets a news/review section then I would definitely like to see you writing for it
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

psp
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker psp's Avatar
    so did it suck? im sorry but i cant tell from your reveiw, sounds like it sucked tho
    PSP is back!!!

PSP modder
    l Rockin the 3.90 M33-3 Fat psp l Paintball Player l Reppin and sponsored by Dynamic Games Paintball

Senior Member I Modded My PSP PSPonPCP's Avatar
    personly, i thought it was awsome!! the ending was the best
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination!
    ! life is but a dream,you know row row your boat and blood forms a stream.
    check out these sick mod pics for psp...

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker matrixsucks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mofo196

Finally, what exactly is the message here? Had this movie been released 20 or even 10 years ago, the message of standing up against an oppressive government might have meant something or at least had some kind of impact. In todayÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s post 9/11 world, thereÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s enough anti-government sentiment to make any political message this movie may have as moot. In the end, the V character IS A TERRORIST! Make no mistake. Violence against a government for an alternate point of view is terrorism. Donâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t think for one second that the people flying those planes into the World Trade Center didnâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t think they were doing the right thing.

The movie forces you to root for the terrorist! Had this been a different movie, the spin could be made so we root for the government and against V.

Bottom line is that you should read the graphic novel. I certainly wouldnâà ƒÆ’¢â€šà ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠀šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t recommend starting here though if you want to start reading Moore. Start with ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“The Watchmenâ â‚ ¬Â? and then go directly to ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“From Hellâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã‚?.
    I believe the point of the movie was to say the government is supposed to be afraid of its people, not the people be afraid of their government. It might be a helluvalot different than the graphic novel, but it brings up a nice point. I honestly don't think that I should have to feel that way after seeing the movie. It is a reminder to not let governments get away with its 'little' white lies.

The movie does not force you to root for the terrorist; you just realized that the terrorist was doing the right thing. He knew that he had taken ahold of the masses, viva la revolution. He was the spark that led to the explosion, not the cause of it. The government was by horribly mistreating its own people.

I'm sure the graphic novels are great, but the movie is as well. Perhaps you don't like the references to many famous books, and I guess it isn't your cup of tea to have 'smart humor' in a movie. I liked how there were only small bits of action, so I looked forward to each one.

It's a great movie, and the final scene is haunting....'nuff said. Go see this movie. Now.
    Today has been the most beautiful day I've ever seen.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP anemic jesus's Avatar
    if you can read... you would know if it sucked or not
    Prying open my third eye

7. #7 Beutiful! 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker DarthWalker's Avatar
    I got home from this movie not even 10 minutes ago. It was a fenominal movie! The best ive seen in awile. It takes you away from the mindless killing movies with meaningless explosions and gore, to a more sophisticated and brilliantly astounding, beutiful movie. If you dont like this movie, or simply dont get ANY of it, or critisize the fact that the story line 'Has no direction' then go see it again, and again untill you understand it!

Like I was saying, this movie has the greatest message and character to deliver the message, EVER! The character spends all the time telling us we are only afraid of doing things because the government makes us afraid. We are only restricted by our fear, and we should not be afraid of our government simply because our government is chosen by us, aergo should fear our descisions.

The ending of this movie was the BEST ending I've seen in AGES! This movie can only be enjoyed-in my opinion-in a theater, because at home, things will grab your attention from this beutiful movie, in a theater its what you payed to see, and wont miss it. I'd recomend this movie to EVERYONE!

List of the PSP-Mod legends, once on PSPmod.com; drizzle, BLACKOUT, jrmdb3, matrixsucks, IONz, mofo196, julie, TZone, SAYN, psplaya, Cloud Strife, demondude777

For those who can't tell, the movie sucked.
    --
    Oh people, know that you have committed great sins. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker matrixsucks's Avatar
    I say the opposite.
    Today has been the most beautiful day I've ever seen.

[quote=matrixsucks]I say the opposite.[quote]
    Here, here!

List of the PSP-Mod legends, once on PSPmod.com; drizzle, BLACKOUT, jrmdb3, matrixsucks, IONz, mofo196, julie, TZone, SAYN, psplaya, Cloud Strife, demondude777

psp
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker psp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matrixsucks
    I say the opposite.

hhm so it was good then?
    PSP is back!!!

PSP modder
    l Rockin the 3.90 M33-3 Fat psp l Paintball Player l Reppin and sponsored by Dynamic Games Paintball

Quote Originally Posted by psp
    hhm so it was good then?
    Only if you have a good taste in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by psp
    hhm so it was good then?
    If you like being bored, seeing little to no action, having Orwell ripped off in a plot that you've seen a million times before, AND like to root for terrorism over government...

...then you will like this movie.
    --

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker PSP_Bro's Avatar
    If you like being bored, seeing little to no action, having Orwell ripped off in a plot that you've seen a million times before, AND like to root for terrorism over government...

...then you will like this movie.
    Not to mention the fact that the main character, is burnt all over, they make shitty style of eggs, and there were no black people (Not a problem to me, just saying in most movies black people die the best, No offense, but seriously, they always die really cool) As well as there's like a million masks, it was cool though when they shot that girl
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    who me? im a perfect lil angel
    Quoted For Truth......Quoted for Truth

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Solitaire's Avatar
    I haven't seen the movie myself but I do notice that you are comparing the movie to the original book like so many other people. A movie is a let down when compared to it's written counterpart. All movies like this and others by lets say Stephen King is better and more enjoyable in its book form.... Movie standards are a real time low these things though. People will enjoy anything that has the media pushing it hard. The movie been out for a week or two now and notice you ain't hearing nothing else about it hahahahahahaha....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast