Thread: Nintendo DS lite hacking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Nintendo DS lite hacking 
    Junior Member PSP User
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the DS so forgive me..........

I'm thinking of getting a DS lite and I want to know how to hack it. I was hoping to use the "plug-n-play" method I have read about. I wanted to ask on this board tho because a) it rocks b) I trust this site more that many other out there.

so, what do I need to hack a DS lite? Does it matter what firmware the DS lite has?

Thanks

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Phoenix Knight's Avatar
    urm, this is a PSP site??!!
    "Pandora Battery, MMS, A jedi needs not these things"

Senior Member I Modded My PSP PigVenus's Avatar
    Well... this is the off topic forum.

It couldn't be easier. All you need it a flashcard. I prefer the M3 DS Real Perfect or the Cyclo DS Evolution myself. They are the some of the more expensive cards out there, but also some of the best.

There are many different M3 DS Real bundles, but the "perfect" bundle includes the GBA cart that allows you to play all the Gameboy Advance (GBA) games. (Note that there is another package, "Rumble" in which it does not have GBA ability, but only a rumble cart.) If you don't do GBA games, then you can skip the more expensive bundle.

For the Cyclo DS Evolution you need to get the "3-in-1 expansion" which is sold separately, but it has the advantage of being able to do rumble AND GBA in a single cart. Also, I would say the Cyclo is probably the best supported with firmware updates.

All that being said, it seems like the Edge and Acekards are pretty well supported also and a bit cheaper to boot.

The best place to order from is: Modchip Central - Official Distributor of Wiikey, D2Pro, D2Pro9, Wii-clip, R4DS, M3 Real, R4 DS, D2Pro 9, Wiikey2, Wiikey 2, Memor32, DSTT, Acekard, Acekard2, Acekard2 and more!

Best places to get the homebrew are:
    GBAtemp.net -> Portal
    Nintendo Wii GameCube NDS Playstation 3 XBOX 360 Scene News Site - TehSkeen

You will also need a microSD card to put your homebrew on. I would recommend the 8GB Class 6 cards from newegg.com. You can't beat their prices and you really are better off with a class 6 card.

Enjoy the homebrew. The DS has a very active homebrew community with some spectacular apps, especially the following:
    jEnesisDS 0.7.4 (Sega Genesis emulator)
    nesDS and NesterDS (classic Nintendo)
    SNESAdvance (Super Nintendo)
    ColecoDS (Coleco Vision)
    just to name a few emulator

Also, as far as utilities, there are
    DSReader (fantastic eBook reader for .txt files)
    DSOrganize (PDA for your DS)
    MoonShell (user interface shell)
    ANDS (pdf viewer)
    ComicDS (comic book viewer)
    and tons more

As far as homebrew games go, there are too many to list. Some of my favorites are:
    PocketPhysics v0.6
    Powder v1.10, FAAngbandDS, NetHackDS v1.17 (nethack games)
    Glubies Planet DS
    DronS
    Video Games Hero
    QuakeDS
    DS Doom
    AmplitudeDS

Enjoy!

Junior Member PSP User simoncam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Knight View Post
    urm, this is a PSP site??!!
    haha umm...I figured that the sites name ..."PSPmod" should have been a fair give away that this is actually a PSP forum...guess not
    PSP-1002
    CFW 4.01 M33-2

Junior Member PSP User
    As Pigvenus said, this is the OFF-TOPIC forum. That means, not talking about PSP. Comprende?

Anyway, thanks Pigvenus. Awesome detail in your post. I gotta learn some of the vocabulary you were dropping (brands of stuff) but I'll get it. Do all those different carts do the same thing, essentially? What's slot 1 and slot 2 mean? Is the rumble worth it? Doesn't it just drain batteries? Btw, I never had a Gameboy Advance so I can't imagine I'll ever be playing GBA games.

Maybe you can answer another question too. Is the DSi hackable as well?
    Last edited by Dr.JimRidgles; 03-18-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.JimRidgles View Post
    As Pigvenus said, this is the OFF-TOPIC forum. That means, not talking about PSP. Comprende?

Anyway, thanks Pigvenus. Awesome detail in your post. I gotta learn some of the vocabulary you were dropping (brands of stuff) but I'll get it. Do all those different carts do the same thing, essentially? What's slot 1 and slot 2 mean? Is the rumble worth it? Doesn't it just drain batteries? Btw, I never had a Gameboy Advance so I can't imagine I'll ever be playing GBA games.

Maybe you can answer another question too. Is the DSi hackable as well?
    All cards do the same thing, run homebrew and roms, but different interface.

Slot 1/2 are the game slots, slot 1 being for the DS card slot and slot 2 being for the GBA cart slot.

i never used rumble, i wouldnt know, neither with the battery drain, my DS uses a R4 and the battery seems the same
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

NuMB3Rs nailed it. Yep, they all essentially do the same thing. The main difference is the UI (user interface) is a bit different. Also, if you look back through the history of changes for each card you can get an idea of the support offered by the manufacturer. However, I can say that all the major players (Edge, Cyclo, Acekard, and M3 Real) all had GTA Chinatown patches out within 1 day of the game's release. Cyclo has a very good website with a very active forum. M3 Real has a Chinese website that sucks (you can get your updates from GBATemp though). Don't know about Edge or Acekard although GBATemp also hosts their updates.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the new "3-in-1" expansion cards have a manufacturing bug and may not work 100% with the CycloDS (this is the 3 in 1 fault, not the Cyclo). These are normally referred to as the "3-in-1 plus", but there is really no "plus" (more like a minus) - there are no new features, in fact, it is broken compared to the older card (rumble feature is buggy). Again, this only affects you if care about rumble.

Of all the cards listed, I would say the M3 DS Real Perfect is the easiest - nothing else to buy (other than microSD) and literally just plug-and-play (except for firmware update the first time).

I would definitely say that hacking the DS is much, much easier than the PSP (although a bit more expensive).

Another game/app that I forgot to mention is ScummVM DS - this lets you play all the old point & click adventure type games like Loom, Adv of Monkey Island and a lot more (just google for ScummVM). Those type of games are ideal for the DS platform, but of course you have to provide the file/ISOs from the original game (but you can find those old games for very, very cheap because they are so old).

I still have to give another pat-on-the-back to DSReader. That is probably my favorite think on the DS. It makes a very handy bookreader (small and portable).

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.JimRidgles View Post
    Backhanded nukka.

9. #9 try this one 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    One of the best cards both gba and ds is called g6 memory card. You can toggle between gba and ds. They come in either a ds shell or gba shell. You just have to put the micro chip into the right shell and there yout go. It is very rare and hard to come by but is worth it. I have a g6 4 gigabyte card and it works really really well. -alterdimension

G6 is made by the same company that makes the M3 DS - they actually share the same firmware. G6 just has the memory built-in while the M3 uses removable microSD cards. G6s generally cost more than the M3+microSD and are much harder to find. When G6s first came out, they were competitive price-wise, but with the falling prices of microSD, they really can't compete anymore.

Junior Member PSP User
    Pigvenus, you're awesome! thanks for your help!

Is there any word on whether these hacks are going to work on DSi?

Acekard 2i and DSTTi both work with DSi. Cyclo is working on a solution (its been discussed in their forums). I am sure the others will not be far behind. However, from what I understand, the new DSi flashcards let you play DS on the DSi - there is no word yet on whether it will work for DSi-only titles.

Also, you won't have and GBA functionality as there is no GBA slot on the DSi. (Kiss your Slot-2 peripherals good-bye - like the Guitar Hero and Motion sensors). Sure, you gain an SDCard slot, but you get all the SDCard functionality with a flashcard + microSD anyways (playing video, mp3, pictures, etc).

But of course, if you _really_ want the gimmick-lo-res-camera.... the DSi might be just the right fit. (Of course, I have a 0.001% chance of being wrong and the camera might actually have some appeal beyond the first month and the first couple of gimmick games that come out.)

Senior Member I Modded My PSP DarkMaster3442's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PigVenus View Post
    Acekard 2i and DSTTi both work with DSi. Cyclo is working on a solution (its been discussed in their forums). I am sure the others will not be far behind. However, from what I understand, the new DSi flashcards let you play DS on the DSi - there is no word yet on whether it will work for DSi-only titles.

Also, you won't have and GBA functionality as there is no GBA slot on the DSi. (Kiss your Slot-2 peripherals good-bye - like the Guitar Hero and Motion sensors). Sure, you gain an SDCard slot, but you get all the SDCard functionality with a flashcard + microSD anyways (playing video, mp3, pictures, etc).

But of course, if you _really_ want the gimmick-lo-res-camera.... the DSi might be just the right fit. (Of course, I have a 0.001% chance of being wrong and the camera might actually have some appeal beyond the first month and the first couple of gimmick games that come out.)
    an unofficial teaM r4 is geting out a R4i or R4 Ultra i forgot wat its called
    also word out is that acekard2i will not work with european and american nintendo dsis
    also dstti will work unless its blocked by firmware updates(go suk urselves nintendo)
    PS3 then wii then 360. Ps2 shits on 360 due to rrod

Next geezer sed:
    i went to the store and i asked if they had pandora batteries but they said they didnt becouse its illegal and i red that not the battery is illegal but the imfo that its in it i dont konow but i want to why is that info illegal

MY PSN: SlashProductions

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    numbers did you buy a kit or do it yourself

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

QUOTE: Dr.JimRidglesAs Pigvenus said, this is the OFF-TOPIC forum. That means, not talking about PSP. Comprende?

ummmmmm........p0wn3d?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast