Thread: Nintendo DS

1. #1 Nintendo DS 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Stgdemon's Avatar
    I've been thinking about getting a DS for awhile, now I'm sure (since I read that they will release or have release FF: Crystal Chronicals for it. Me and some buddies went and bought gameboys just to play on Gamecube) that I will get one. Just some questions on this though;

Any modding/hacking capabilities? (If so, what do I need? I've read about a cartridge that goes in your game slot, but have read some conflicting things such as; some don't work, others are discontinued (R4), and some just seem to be preferance with no reall input (Acekard and CycloDS), etc.)
    Any particular model better than another?
    How much should I spend on one of these?
    And are 'bundles' better buys?

Thanks to those owners out there. If none of you want to answer, I'm always grateful to links and resources. I'm looking around now, but I don't like reviews writen by people on payrolls, always more sincere from people that actually get to use them as a personal choice, bot because they are paid to.

Brandon
    Last edited by Stgdemon; 03-29-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Adding info on what I've read so far.
    Made Switchable Pandora
    Piano Black slim with Undead Decal
    Firmware Piano Black 3.82>3.71M33>4.01M33-2>5.00M33-6>5.50GEN-B2 ~
    Red GoW addition 3.71>3.72m33-2>5.00m33-6 ~
    Grey 4.01>5.00m33-6

UV Trigger and door LED's

Senior Member I Modded My PSP PigVenus's Avatar
    Everything you need to know is pretty much covered right here: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/off-top...e-hacking.html

I personally have 3 DSs and 3 flashcards. 2 CycloDS with EZ 3-in-1 and 1 M3 DS Real Perfect. I personally think they are the best - when I got them, they had more features & support than any other. Now, some of the other cards have caught up feature-wise, but CycloDS remains one of the best supported. I figure a $20 premium for the best card is not even worth the hassle of messing with a cheaper, less well supported card. (Supported = updates from the manufacturer for compatibility with the latest games.)

As far as an active hacking/homebrew community.... I would daresay that the homebrew community is even more active than the PSP. At least there are a lot more apps and games developed for it than the PSP.

awesome, thanks for the input. I will probably be getting it within the next month (need to replace the power steering pump in my car first). So is there a specific DS that is better than the others, or is it preference (Lite, regular, DSi)?
    Made Switchable Pandora
    Grey 4.01>5.00m33-6

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    depends the latest ds is the dsi which removes the gba slot but has two cameras and more features, the original ds is kinda bulky and useless, and the ds lite is an improved original ds (lighter and less bulky)

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Wait for the DSi, once that get's hacked it's gonna be too nice.

I follow the DS scene pretty closely. My advice is definitely go for the DS Lite. I don't even know if you can get the DS regular anymore. DS Lite has a nice size.

There is a thread here regarding the DSi: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/off-top...tendo-dsi.html
    To put it simply, the DSi is region locked and the only region that has been cracked is Japan and maybe Australia. However, this is likely only until Nintendo releases its first firmware upgrade which is expected to break all DSi flashcards. The DS Lite doesn't have firmware updates, thus you are safe with a flashcard - the worst that can happen is that the newest games won't be support (however, good companies like M3, Cyclo, and Acekard usually have updates out within days of the release of those new games).

However, if you really, really want to spend an extra $40-50 for a 640x480 pixel camera, lose the GBA slot, have significantly reduced battery life, and take your chance than flashcards likely won't work for about the next 6 months.... then go right ahead and step into the "me too" like for a DSi. (Note: It has been stated in the Cyclo forums that they aren't expected to release a DSi flashcard until 2010.)

However, on the upside of getting a DSi, you can get the "Nintendo Shop" where you can download new games and stuff for the DSi. (There is a strong rumor that the GBA games will come out in the Nintendo Shop, but of course you will pay for each --- ooh, wait a second, you get that ability with the DS Lite and its GBA slot). Of course with the DSi you also get the SDCard slot so you can play music and stuff --- ooh, wait another second, guess you get that ability by using a flashcard on the DS and using a frontend like Moonshell. Oh, I know! You get WPA network security instead of the DS's WEP! There you go!

Yeah, I've already read into the DSi, doesn't sound worth it (battery life on somthing like FF:Crystal Chronicles is a must). So I think I'll go with the Lite, and if I'm so inclinded, I'll trade in for a DSi. Thaks for all the tips PigVenus.
    Made Switchable Pandora
    Grey 4.01>5.00m33-6

Sure. No problem. I was into the DS in a big way before getting my PSP. However, I do have to say that so far I've found the number of really good games on the DS exceeds that of the PSP. <ducks stones>. (I'm not into overly involved games and am generally a "casual gamer" so I just want a quick pick-and-go game.)

Really, there are some excellent titles on the DS - Professor Layton's Curious Village is one of the best puzzler games of all times and its a game that simply wouldn't work on the PSP (takes good advantage of the touch screen). FPCV2 is just around the corner, also.
    Another good game is Warlords Puzzle game (cant' remember the exact name) - same game is out for the PSP.

However, I got my PSP mainly for homebrew - especially the emulators which are FAR better on the PSP. The wimpy DS simply doesn't have the necessary horsepower, however, it does a very good job considering - especially the Genesis and SNES emulators. (However, there are a number of games on both that don't work due to the limited memory of the DS). And, the CPS1/2/MVS 2PSP emulators and Mame4PSP are excellent.

Yeah, I'm gonna look into the homebrew (heard there were a lot more for the DS, but quality is somthing that I'll have to look into). Went and checked on lites and my local game store and found them $130 new and $80 used. So I'm gonna try and sell a bunch of my MTG cards to get it, lol.
    Made Switchable Pandora
    Grey 4.01>5.00m33-6