Thread: N-Rev News (UPDATES TO FOLLOW)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 N-Rev News (UPDATES TO FOLLOW) 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker lilmetal's Avatar
    I started posting news updates on the next-gen consoles starting with the PS3, and now the Nintendo Revolution.

Last Updated: Monday, April 10, 2006

Revolution to be released in June? (rumour)

Akiteru Itoh from Japan's game tracking service Media Create suggested that, according to rumors, Revolution could launch as early as June. We've provided the quote below.

"There are rumors that the Revolution could be released as early as June. If that happens and Nintendo sells around one million units, Sony could have a harder time catching up," Itoh told BusinessWeek.
    Nintendo itself has only officially stated that Revolution will launch in 2006 and before Thanksgiving. However, rumors of a June release have persisted.

The chances of the console actually launching this early are next to zero, so we wouldn't recommend that readers hold their collective breath. The fact of the matter is that Nintendo won't be releasing final Revolution development hardware until June, which makes a system launch during the same month impossible. Furthermore, numerous development and publishing sources have flat-out told IGN Revolution that a "Thanksgiving week of 2006" launch has been relayed to them from Nintendo.

Nintendo is expected to reveal about its plans for Revolution at the Game Developers Conference in San Jose, California next week.

Revolution Games under $50

In an interview with CNNMoney, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata spoke about Nintendo's position in the next generation market, and specifically about the company's forthcoming console, still-codenamed Revolution.

Although many new Xbox 360 games launch with a suggested retail price of $59.99, Iwata dismissed the possibility that Nintendo would follow suit with its first party Revolution games. "I cannot imagine any first party title [on Revolution] could be priced more than $50," he said. "I really don't think that there's going to be a lot of acceptance by current customers of the $60 price tag."
    Nintendo's president further elaborated that simple, addictive games like Tetris might be offered through Revolution's virtual console, while "masterpiece" titles would more likely be distributed on physical discs.

Consumers can buy Xbox 360 with a 20 gigabyte hard drive and Sony recently announced that PlayStation 3, which launches later this year, will require a 60 gigabyte drive. Revolution, on the other hand, will feature only 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, to which downloaded games and other content can be stored. Nintendo at the Game Developers Conference 2006 announced that SEGA Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 titles can be downloaded to Revolution's virtual console.

Iwata told CNNMoney that Revolution users would be able to expand the system's 512MBs of internal flash memory with SD Cards, which can be plugged into the front of the console. SD Cards come in sizes upward of 8GBs. More interestingly, though, is what Iwata suggested to the publication, which is that because Revolution features two USB ports "ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ ‚¦ practically any storage method can be used." This comment would seem to indicate that users will, in fact, be able to hook up a hard drive to Revolution for significantly expanded storage.

Finally, the Japanese executive hinted that more virtual console partners were on board and would be announced at a future date. "A number of different publishers are now interested in participating in this virtual console system," he said. "As far as the details, though, I believe we will wait for another opportunity before discussing them."

Nintendo will launch its new generation Revolution console before Thanksgiving in America. The company plans to pull back the curtains on the machine, showing any secret features and playable games, at the Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles this May.

Virtual Console Service?

Nintendo announced that Sega and Hudson have signed on as partners for the Revolution's Virtual Console service. With this, the emulators will be best games from the two companies for the TurboGraphix-16 (or PC-Engine, as it was called in Japan) and Sega Genesis will be downloadable and playable for the Revolution.

Curiously, only Sega Genesis games were mentioned as planned for the Virtual Console system in the deal with Sega (um, hello? Master System? Saturn? Game Gear? 32X?!?), but the partnership promises that many of the best out of the Genesis' 1,000+ gaming library will be available for the Revolution. Individual deals will have to be worked out with publishers for titles to be released on the Revolution, but with a growing interest in classic gaming, publishers and license owners will hopefully be fast to get on-board with Genesis support. And considering that most of the TurboGraphix-16's games released were published and/or developed by Hudson and NEC, it seems that the vast majority of games for the system will automatically fall into that partnership without much more licensing work from the company.

With NES, SNES, N64, and now Genesis and TG-16 on-board, the Revolution has got years of gaming already ready to play as soon as it launches later this year. Look for more news on supported systems and licensed games for the Nintendo Virtual Console as things develop.

Revolution Graffiti Art??

Earlier this year, Atari released Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure for PlayStation 2 and Xbox. The title put players in control of a graffiti artist named Trane and challenged them to spray-paint the walls of a bustling city.

In a recent interview with Game Daily, Ecko indicated that a new version designed for the Revolution and its controller was not out of the question. "We're all over it," he told the publication. "We are doing our due diligence now. I mean, the mechanic is great, but it almost sets ourselves up for needing a separate SKU. We've gotta do some tests... obviously the Revolution is very, very exciting. When we think about it, we get all geeked out."
    Neither publisher Atari nor developer The Collective have announced official support of Nintendo's new generation console, but Ecko's latest words are certainly promising.

Bob Ross: Joy of Painting on the Rev??

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not it was posted on IGN on 31 March but that could be in time for the next day although it says below that other people thought this and it was cleared up by AGFRAG.

The idea of it sounds cool but it's kinda cringe worthy. :P

In news that breaks free from the shackles of abnormal and jumps headfirst into the realm of surreal, independent development studio AGFRAG Entertainment Group has announced that it is working on videogames based on the cult television icon Bob Ross.

The afro-enhanced painter is known around the globe for his mild-mannered television show, The Joy of Painting, where he has for decades demonstrated his speedy skill with a paint brush. The public access hit has been picked up by more than 3,000 stations worldwide in its long run. In 1995, Ross died at the age of 52. Many of his paintings were donated to PBS.

The games, which are being developed specifically for Nintendo's Revolution console and DS handheld, will be focused on the art of painting, no doubt harnessing the precision accuracy of Nintendo's control methods. A PC version is also planned.

We're not kidding. :? :? :?

AGFRAG made the announcement yesterday, prompting concerns from skeptics of an early April Fool's joke. We contacted AGFRAG directly for clarification.

"The press release is not a joke, but the side effect of people thinking it is might help us get noticed," explained Joseph Hatcher, who heads up the company brining Bob Ross to Nintendo's systems.

AGFRAG is Hatcher's development group, consisting of students, independent developers and professionals in the game industry. "AGFRAG secured a worldwide exclusive licensing agreement with Bob Ross Inc. just before the Game Developers Conference took place," Hatcher revealed. "We are talking with various companies and plan to make an announcement near E3 regarding which platforms the game will be developed on first, and maybe a surprise."

Hatcher himself admits to being a big Ross fan, which is partly why he wants to make games based on his work. "I personally loved watching Bob Ross growing up and I enjoyed watching how easily he created his paintings. We want to translate that same feeling of watching the TV show into playing a Bob Ross game," he said. "Whether you are an eight-year-old child, or a 65-year-old grandma, we want anyone to be able to pick up the game to create and play to your heart's content."

When we think about videogames, the name Bob Ross does not spring to mind. But the DS and Revolution may be the best systems to bring the Joy of Painting to gamers. "The Nintendo DS and Nintendo Revolution are perfect platforms for what we have in mind!" Hatcher explained. "We like the way Nintendo carves their own path of innovation and creativity and we strive to do the same."

AGFRAG has not yet secured a publisher for the titles. More news on these projects will be forthcoming beginning this May at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2006 in Los Angeles. Aspiring painters, we'll keep you posted.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Grimx54's Avatar
    yea thats great but i dont think i read all of it
    Hey check out my SOCOM Arena Division stats and my
    Clan stats {Just started it so might not see any wins or losses yet}
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamamee 91
    how do i turn off hold on the psp
    wow i cant belive someone would be that fucken retarted
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmetal
    im quite the ladies man
    yea right... seeing him with a girl is like seeing Ryan Seacrest with one...

Ubisoft's 'secret' game revealed

The latest issue of Game Informer Magazine has a cover story on an ambitious new game developed from the ground up for Nintendo's next generation console, codenamed Revolution. The title, called Red Steel, according to the publication, is a first-person shooter that enables players to take control of a sharp sword in addition to an assortment of guns to fight off enemies. The mag published first screens of the title in motion, which appear to be in 16x9 widescreen, and they look pretty good to us. We encourage readers to pick up the latest issue to see the images for themselves.

The title utilizes the Revolution's free-hand style pointer for some innovative control mechanics, Game Informer reports. For instance, players are able to hold swords or guns normally or side-armed depending upon how they hold the controller. Meanwhile, it's possible to block incoming attacks using the sword, too. The publication also states that gamers will be able to jump over and take cover behind objects with the flick of the Revolution controller. On top of everything else, the mag promises that Red Steel will not only support an online multiplayer mode, but arrive as a launch title later this year.
    The new issue of Game Informer Magazine is already hitting the homes of subscribers, as evidenced by the numerous scans that have flooded the Web.

Hmm.. i'm quite looking foward to this game, how about you guys?

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Grimx54's Avatar
    thats hot but the controlls shodov been like a gun
    Hey check out my SOCOM Arena Division stats and my
    Clan stats {Just started it so might not see any wins or losses yet}
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamamee 91
    how do i turn off hold on the psp
    wow i cant belive someone would be that fucken retarted
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmetal
    im quite the ladies man
    yea right... seeing him with a girl is like seeing Ryan Seacrest with one...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimx54
    thats hot but the controlls shodov been like a gun

well look at the pictures. the girl in the first one has her hand straight, and it shows in the game. In the second picture, the guy has his hand twisted to the left, and it even shows there. I'd like to see how the sword works.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker DarthWalker's Avatar
    OKAY WHAT! Sega is signing in partnership with Nintendo?...But dosent Bill Gates own Sega, Dream Cast, and the X-Box, and why would Gate's sign over with Nintendo if he wants to stay ahead in the game..Unless that greedy bastard wants more fortune to squander!

List of the PSP-Mod legends, once on PSPmod.com; drizzle, BLACKOUT, jrmdb3, matrixsucks, IONz, mofo196, julie, TZone, SAYN, psplaya, Cloud Strife, demondude777

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker BLACKOUT's Avatar
    microsoft only owned the operating system of the dreamcast.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKOUT
    microsoft only owned the operating system of the dreamcast.
    So am I still rite when I say Gate's is a greedy bastard?

List of the PSP-Mod legends, once on PSPmod.com; drizzle, BLACKOUT, jrmdb3, matrixsucks, IONz, mofo196, julie, TZone, SAYN, psplaya, Cloud Strife, demondude777

Senior Member I Modded My PSP zacharya1990's Avatar
    Looks like im going to have to get a PS3 and NR.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthWalker
    So am I still rite when I say Gate's is a greedy bastard?
    too right. im still gonna end up wanting a 360 at some point.

too right. im still gonna end up wanting a 360 at some point.
    Dude, look at your X-Box...Now tilt your head 360 degree's, what is it? Thats rite, the same damn thing!

indeed, still the same good console. bad name, good console.

Bah1 I shouldent bash it thoe, if you have a High deffinition TV its a pretty good system, althoe its best aspect is that it takes X-Box games and re-defines them. Pretty sweet, so you can play the Halo series in Super Definition.

i dont have hd yet, but come may...

i dont have hd yet, but come may...
    LMAO! Then dont get the 360 unless you a person who likes to play videogames with the sun reflecting DIRECTLY on the screen making it dark, because if you dont have HD, gameplay will be dark and annoying, I rented a 360 with my cheap $60 tv and nearly ate my fist to contain the rage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast