Thread: Finding out the slot type?

1. #1 Finding out the slot type? 
    Member PSP User
    I havent been here for a few weeks but have come back to ask a question. Here is my situation:

Just installed Quake 4 & F.E.A.R. but when I finished F.E.A.R. and loaded it up, I got that I have an unsupported chipset (video card) and when I played Quake it barely worked so bad that the people that talked (offline) repeated everything they said. Never had this happen before with a game. So I want a new video card. I have found one that caught my attention here but still, I don't know if it has the right slot type. The one on that is AGP but I dont know if it will work with my computer. Could you tell me how to find out what slot type I have and if I should also get a new Processor too? The processor I found is a 330 dollar pentium 4 processor with 3.0 GHz and 800 MHz with HT. (HERE My system specs as far as I know are:

2800+ (2.08 GHz) AMD Athlon XP processor
    512 MB DDR SDRAM Memory
    120 GB UltraDMA Hard Drive
    DVD-ROM drive with 16x max. speed
    NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX graphics card with 64MB DDR shared video memory
    (according to the front of my tower)

Thanks a lot and tell me if I need to give you more specifics.

jsh
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker jsh's Avatar
    geforce MX is severely outdated dude.. get a new one pronto
    well unless you bought that computer within the last 6 months or so i would bet my money on AGP
    while you are at it why not buy one that will last, buy a 512mb

3. #3 Thank You 
    Member PSP User
    But now I am trying to get itunes podcasts to my PSP with version 2.60 Firmware. I got the Remote thing and the web server thing it needs downloaded but do not know exactly how to install it! Could you give me a walkthrough on it or at least send me a link to one???

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker matrixsucks's Avatar
    Don't get an all-in-wonder graphics card unless you plan on using every feature in there,

and don't get an intel, get an AMD....(duel core)...
    Today has been the most beautiful day I've ever seen.

Retired PSP Elite Hacker fubar42o's Avatar
    i am in the same boat as you dude... i got a geforce 440mx and like %80 of all games say ON THE BOX that our graffix card is cold shit... fucking weak...

"don't fucking ask me. i don't know..."

Member PSP User
    well thanks guys but I was just told a few hours ago that I am going to be able to earn about 250-300 with babysitting kids over the summer (I know the job sucks and so does the fact that I have to wait sooooo long) and then I have a birthday coming up so there is about 700 dollars I will have in my pocket! And me being the stubborn dumbass kid that i am, I Have decided to get a new laptop!!! So, any suggestions guys??? I want a PC with a nice graphics card( 256 MB to 512 MB), at least 2 GHz of processing power, 512 MB ram or more, drives to insert DVD roms and CD roms(possibly read and write, but don't need to be).
    As many as you find that meet these requirements please post back here and I am not just doing this to make you do all the hard work, trust me I tried for about 2 hours trying to find one like this and had no luck . AND NOOOOOOOOOO EBAY, I DO NOT TRUST IT, TOOOO RISKY! thanks again!

EDIT: STILL NEED HELP GUYS!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker SAYN's Avatar
    some graphic cards with high standard require PCI Express, and if your comp doesnt support it you wont be able to use it.... just a little advice

9. #9 Please Help Me! 
    Member PSP User
    Please, my life really sucks right now.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    ya aint gonna get much of a laptop for 700 bucks. not one that will run anything decent atleast
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker TZone's Avatar
    Ok, this is abit over $700, but not by much and is a pretty descent laptop too

Here's the LINK

Presario 1.8GHz AMD Turionâà ƒÆ’¢â‚¬à ƒâ€¦Ã‚¾Ãƒâ€šÃ⠚¢ 64 DVD̉ۈ …¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ RW Wireless Notebook w/ 1GB RAM ( hp Refurbished Model V5015 ) 1.8GHz AMD Turionâà ƒÆ’¢â‚¬à ƒâ€¦Ã‚¾Ãƒâ€šÃ⠚¢ 64 Mobile Technology ML-32 with PowerNow!àâ₠žÂà €šÃ‚¢, 1GB DDR RAM, 60GB HD, Dual Layer DVD̉ۈ …¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ R/RW & CDRW Combo, 15.4âà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã‚? HD BrightView Widescreen, 802.11b/g WLAN w/ SpeedBoost, WindowsÃâ₠¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚à ® XP Home

Special Price: $795.00

NOTE : STAY AWAY FROM Celeron/Sempron CPU based Laptops

12. #12 Thanks :( 
    Member PSP User
    I appreciate that sooooo much, but I know my parents won't let me get something off a site like that, has to be a well known store (an actual store you walk into too) and so I must decline, but I think it was a good deal anyway! That was verrry nice of you and I hope someday I can return the favor.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker TZone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PSP WarrioR [just joined]
    I appreciate that sooooo much, but I know my parents won't let me get something off a site like that, has to be a well known store (an actual store you walk into too) and so I must decline, but I think it was a good deal anyway! That was verrry nice of you and I hope someday I can return the favor.
    LOL! Ecost.com is a well known online store, I purchase stuff from them all the time

If its a store you must walk into, then you should try Best Buy or FRY's Electronics........... although you can buy cheaper Laptops at even Walmart and I think Target.... but for what you want, you will be hard pressed to find those specs at that price in a Walk-In store.

Goodluck!