Thread: Is online gaming what is should be?

1. #1 Is online gaming what is should be? 
    Junior Member PSP User HatefulGravey's Avatar
    A common problem of forums like this one are flamers. Nine times out of ten we are talking about children (literally or otherwise) that can't help but try to bully people online to make up for their real life short comings. At least that is how I define them. This problem seems to move well to xBox live and I'm sure PSN.

Not to mention the gap between the amount of time your average 12 year old male spends playing video games anymore vs the amount of time your average adult with a job and a spouse can play.

The first problem is simply a rise above issue for me. These kids what to talk crap because you beat me in a social game of Street Fighter 4, big woop. Something should be done about this, and by something I mean little Jr needs to start thinking he is a real street fighter and get put in his place in the play ground one good time, but its not a huge deal.

The second of these problems is what makes me ask the question. I don't get to play like I used to. I wish I could take the 12 year old me that played Mortal Kombat online right now and show people a thing or two. The me that played in real arcades when you had to preform in front of people and the guy next to you could laugh in your face if you lost. That version of me would rock face now. Alas I have a wife and a career...

Worse then the 12 year old with nothing better to do then play games is the guy that plays one game all the time. My brother is a lot like this. COD4, that is all there is and there can be nothing else. He is good... at that one game. I like to play games to play games. Not play a game because it is the only game there is. It is almost impossible for someone like me to compete with this kind of gamer.

So what I'm thinking is maybe xBox and Playstation should spread these people out a little more. Kids in this pool, people with a job in this pool, people that have only played this game in this pool...

I just want to play Street Fighter against a human, win or lose, and I don't want to have to read your half leet half misspelled banter afterwords.

Thought?

Oh, and if you can't tell I just spent a hour or so playing Street Fighter 4 social, in an effort to get better, and getting messages about how I "suk" and am a "noob". I miss arcades where my size would matter when these children wanted to try to trash talk...
    Last edited by HatefulGravey; 05-20-2009 at 03:16 AM.
    I could be wrong, maybe its a terrible tragedy.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP EmuGamer's Avatar
    Why should you care what 12 year olds say.

As for them "thinning out the herd" that won't happen. Thank God I dont own any of those consoles, I play online pc games only.....there are plenty of teenie-bopper trash talkers there but they are more rare......seems like most of the pc gamers are mature.

I don't really care what they say. What ticks me off more is that they have to say something every time they get the chance. And I knew better then to think they would thin the heard as you put it, but it would be nice.

"Everyone with a drivers license over here, all the rest of you over there"

I used to play more online PC stuff but the cost of keeping a gaming machine up and running it insane anymore, and you have to be sure your machine has all the right pieces for every game you play. The console thing is just so much easier and line between the two is getting blurry. The cost is more then likely what keeps the kids away from PC gaming.

I guess I could always just stick to Fallout, Oblivion and the like. Stay away from the kids, and feed my need for achievements at the same time.

Sorry. No PS3 in my house yet, but thanks for the offer. I did think about buying one the other day, just because I can't find an arcade stick I don't have to import for the 360 and there are 3 for the PS3 in my local gamestop right now, but buying a $500 plus console so I can play with an arcade stick seems silly. Guess I'll have to deal with Microsoft's selective bias. I really don't get it. Some of the most popular live games are MK Ultimate, SF4, and VF5, and MvC2 is on the way, and no arcade stick... shame on you Microsoft, shame.

killzone 2

You cant find any of those sticks in the US unless you go online to places like eBay, and then you are going to pay about 3 times retail for it. I work in sales, and I have no problem with people making money where there is money to be made, but I wont spend 3 times retail on an item like that. As a collector there are things I would gladly spend 3 times retail on, but they aren't making those things anymore, these arcade sticks are likely going to be in stores again. I can wait, I just wish I didn't have to.

And I have DOA4, just not really into it. I used to love Virtual Fighter but the new one has lost me. I like 2D fighters mostly, so that is a negative on those two, and the difficulty in those games in memorizing complex combos and such, not timing and creativity, at least not as much as SF4 has given me. Maybe I'll look back into those games though.
    Last edited by HatefulGravey; 05-20-2009 at 10:24 PM.

bunnies ate my brain PSP Elite Hacker clwnz's Avatar
    This went a bit off-topic, eh?
    Anyway, I agree. Too many kids just hitting puberty on Live and PSN... You must hate the ones that narrate every single fucking thing they're doing...
    -OMG DID YOU SEE THAT!?! THE FUCKING THING FLEW RIGHT BY ME!?!? HOLY SHIT YOU'RE DEAD!! YOU SUCK! IM RIGHT BEHIND THIS TREE THING!! IMA KILL YOU!! HEY YOU IN THE RED! ABOUT TO GET RAPEEDDD!!!

... and all that in just one breath of air.

"I got ice in my veins,
    blood in my eyes
    Hate in my heart,
    love in my mind..."

Guide: OFW to CFW|Free ISO/ROMS!|OFW EBOOT|Guide: CFW w/o Pandora!
    MySpace|Homebrew Thread|PSP Folder Organization

Quote Originally Posted by KhAoSxChAoS View Post
    I facepalmed so many times, I have a fractured forehead...

Remember Reach PSP Mad Hacker Fanryu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clwnz View Post
    This went a bit off-topic, eh?
    Anyway, I agree. Too many kids just hitting puberty on Live and PSN... You must hate the ones that narrate every single fucking thing they're doing...
    -OMG DID YOU SEE THAT!?! THE FUCKING THING FLEW RIGHT BY ME!?!? HOLY SHIT YOU'RE DEAD!! YOU SUCK! IM RIGHT BEHIND THIS TREE THING!! IMA KILL YOU!! HEY YOU IN THE RED! ABOUT TO GET RAPEEDDD!!!

... and all that in just one breath of air.
    Agreed, I make call outs when playing FPS, and when I see something COMPLETELY amazing, I MIGHT say "Did you see that???" But other than that, I'm pretty quiet.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Darkthunder90's Avatar
    Lol I remember playing games like halo 2 when I was younger. I never really got into the whole l33t speak thing and I all about having fun. But if people got pissed off at me for killing them, I would be sure to make them even madder.

I remember one time, we played this 4v4 Team Deathmatch in halo 2. The game was so close that the score was 49-49 before the clock ran out. When we went into post-game chat, one guy said "Nobody say anything! That was an amazing game and both sides kicked ass." (He was worried somebody would try and say something like "We should've won" or "You guys suck!")

But we were all cool about it and I still remember that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitochondria View Post
    People are always pissed with me online I get at least 20 messages saying various things from "My Mom - Go fuck yourself - Bitch - Hacker" And alot of other stupid shit. All from Call of Duty 4 cage matches, about that many messages in 1 hour just for being better then the other guy. They're even more pissed because when they camped i completely owned them.
    Sounds like Team Fortress 2...We get spawn camped, I cloak as a spy, get behind them, disguise (They have sentries out), backstab the medic, cloak, disguise, back stab, repeat until all are dead. I get called a hacker for it, saying "I didn't even see you leave the spawn, hacker" ................Yeah, it's called cloak.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker -GunslingerGirl-'s Avatar
    So you basically, you don't like getting beat by people who only play one game, and you don't like listening to kids talk shit? Quit being a baby, or a 'children'.
    Well the way I see it, I'm the judge and my bullets are the jury.

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -GunslingerGirl- View Post
    So you basically, you don't like getting beat by people who only play one game, and you don't like listening to kids talk shit? Quit being a baby, or a 'children'.
    I agree with him..or her. I dunno if you're a guy or girl, sorry.

You people make me facepalm..........EPIC facepalm, not just a normal, "I can't believe that happened" facepalm. The point of game ratings (I.E. Mature) is to filter out the younger masses to keep them from playing games like Halo, Gears, Metal Gear, Socom, and other shooters. Why? It CAN be mentally harmful to some people. The point is, the ratings are there, and therefore, children shouldn't be playing the games. And don't tell me I'm thinking this because I get beaten all the time, I play Halo 3, Gears 2, and TF2, and I'm pretty damn good at all 3. Check my Gamertag- KhAoS x ChAoS, if you don't believe me. Online gaming is meant for the more mature audience, not 11 year old kids who just got out of school, who want to talk shit because they waste there life on a video game.