Thread: New video card

1. #1 New video card 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker stinkypitz's Avatar
    I need to upgrade to a new video card. My current one is an ATI radeon 9250 128mb. I just got oblivion and i have to see the game on my computer desk without being able to play it and its driving me insane. Im also upgrading my RAM from 512 to a gig, how much does that cost? Im looking at this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150139

what do you think? Thanks a lot guys.

^drizzle = jesus of photoshop

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker TZone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkypitz
    I need to upgrade to a new video card. My current one is an ATI radeon 9250 128mb. I just got oblivion and i have to see the game on my computer desk without being able to play it and its driving me insane. Im also upgrading my RAM from 512 to a gig, how much does that cost? Im looking at this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150139

what do you think? Thanks a lot guys.
    Your MOBO will not support that card, your current card is AGP you will need a MOBO that supports PCI Express x16

If your planning on sticking with your current MOBO I suggest you check my POST HERE
    It's the 6th post down.

Thanks a lot, I am getting the one with 512mb. The only thing i dont like is that windows vista is gonna be released and im not sure if this will support directx 10. btw, whats the price of RAM these days?

Your welcome, and any of these cards should support DX10, also if you can afford the memory, which I might add is quite cheap, I would just go straight to a GIG, that's pretty much the starting point nowadays, 2GIG is better, but 1GIG will do

This is a good site for pricing the memory you might need : http://www.pricewatch.com/memory/

Also it will also depend on what memory you will need, if you can give me more specs on your system I could point you to the right memory

Specs:
    3.0 mhz
    Ati Radeon 9250 128mb (getting new one, as you know)
    512mb ram
    ASUS p5p800 motherboard

i dont know how to find what kind of RAM I have, i think its DDR, whatever that means. thanks again for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypitz
    Specs:
    3.0 mhz
    Ati Radeon 9250 128mb (getting new one, as you know)
    512mb ram
    ASUS p5p800 motherboard

i dont know how to find what kind of RAM I have, i think its DDR, whatever that means. thanks again for all the help.
    Ok, cool.... might want to change that 3.0 MHZ to GHZ Also, thats not a bad board you got there, thats a 775 socket if I remember correctly with 800/533MHZ FSB speeds.

You want to use DDR SDRAM memory basically PC3200 to support that 800MHZ FSB you got there sooo, you would look for PC3200 DDR memory.... 1GB or more and it's hella cheap