Thread: How to change your START Button in XP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How to change your START Button in XP 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker TZone's Avatar
    IÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€š ¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve read a number of articles on the internet about changing the text on the Start button in XP. On more than one occasion IÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€š ¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve seen references to a five (5) letter limitation when the button is renamed. I always wondered if this was true or just an assumption someone made because the default ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¹Ãƒâ€¦Ã â‚¬Å“startÃƢââ₠šÂ¬Ã¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢ just happened to fit the button size. So, I decided to run a test and see if there really was a five character limit. I chose ElderGeek as this is 9 letters and looks to be the safest MAX to set this too.

As you can see from the screen capture above it would seem that the five character limit isnâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t etched in stone. The button expanded to accept the text I entered with no problem. IÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€š ¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve been using the system for a few weeks now with no adverse effects. Thatâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s not to say I wonâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t discover something down the road a bit, but for now I feel comfortable with the changes. If youâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢d like to try the procedure I used, the instructions follow.

Step 1 ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬ ¡Ã‚¬Ã…“ Modify Explorer.exe File

In order to make the changes, the file explorer.exe located at C:\Windows needs to be edited. Since explorer.exe is a binary file it requires a special editor. For purposes of this article I have used Resource Hacker. Resource HackerTM is a freeware utility to view, modify, rename, add, delete and extract resources in 32bit Windows executables and resource files (*.res). It incorporates an internal resource script compiler and decompiler and works on Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, Win2000 and WinXP operating systems.

Download Resource Hacker
    HERE

The first step is to make a backup copy of the file explorer.exe located at C:\Windows\explorer. Place it in a folder somewhere on your hard drive where it will be safe. Start Resource Hacker and open explorer.exe located at C:\Windows\explorer.exe

The category we are going to be using is String Table. Expand it by clicking the plus sign then navigate down to and expand string 37 followed by highlighting 1033. If you are using the Classic Layout rather than the XP Layout, use number 38. The right hand pane will display the stringtable as shown in Fig. 02. WeÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢re going to modify item 578, currently showing the word ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“startÃà ƒâ€šÃ‚¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠀šÂ¬Ã…¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒà €š? just as it displays on the current Start button.

Fig 2

There is no magic here. Just double click on the word ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“startÃà ƒâ€šÃ‚¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠀šÂ¬Ã…¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒà €š? so that itÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s highlighted, making sure the quotation marks are not part of the highlight. They need to remain in place, surrounding the new text that youâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢ll type. Go ahead and type your new entry. In my case I used ElderGeek.

Youâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢ll notice that after the new text string has been entered the Compile Script button that was grayed out in Fig. 02 is now active. I wonâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t get into whatâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s involved in compiling a script, but suffice it to say itÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s going to make this exercise worthwhile. Click Compile Script and then save the altered file using the Save As command on the File Menu. Do not use the Save command ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬ ¡Ã‚¬Ã…“ Make sure to use the Save As command and choose a name for the file. Save the newly named file to C:\Windows.

Step 2 ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬ ¡Ã‚¬Ã…“ Modify the Registry

Now that the modified explorer.exe has been created itÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s necessary to modify the registry so the file will be recognized when the user logs on to the system. If you donâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t know how to access the registry IÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€š ¬Å¾Ã‚¢m not sure this article is for you, but just in case itÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s a temporary memory lapse, go to Start (soon to be something else) Run and type regedit in the Open: field. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

In the right pane, double click the Shell entry to open the Edit String dialog box as shown in Fig. 06. In Value data: line, enter the name that was used to save the modified explorer.exe file. Click OK.

Close Registry Editor and either log off the system and log back in, or reboot the entire system if thatâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s your preference. If all went as planned you should see your new Start button with the revised text.

Sorry for not having more pics in this tutorial, but I was only allowed so many images.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker SAYN's Avatar
    Great guide TZone!!!
    Deserves a sticky

Thanks Sayn Hope it helps those who want to do this.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker PSP_Bro's Avatar
    I Can't find the windows explorer file
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    who me? im a perfect lil angel
    Quoted For Truth......Quoted for Truth

Did you look for explorer.exe ?

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker stinkypitz's Avatar
    Great job tzone! My brother was quite confused....

^drizzle = jesus of photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypitz
    Great job tzone! My brother was quite confused....
    LOL! So he wanted to do it but couldn't figure it out ? I think part of the problem is I can't have all my screen shots on here, won't let me put that many images in one post, I would hafta break the post up to put them all..... if others here have probs, let me know, I will see if I can walk you through the process

Senior Member I Modded My PSP die no might's Avatar
    dude nice job i got mine to say Vista ty man

Quote Originally Posted by die no might
    dude nice job i got mine to say Vista ty man
    No prob Bro anytime you need something, let me know

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    awesome tzone! now i can confuse my friends with some really werid line in the start bar........

JOIN CYBERNATIONS!!-www.cybernations.net

11. #11 Hey TZone, Why is it... 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker PSPBETTERTHANDS's Avatar
    Why does my computer (well, at least my user) not have a windows task bar at the bottom or desktop icons anymore? All I get when I log in now is my desktop background image. From there all i could do is hit ctrl+alt+delete and then noticed that under processes, explorer.exe wasn't there. I manually started that by hitting file-new task(run...) and then manually typed in explorer.exe. When i did that a page with My Documents came up as if i had clicked the shortcut on my desktop. then to get on this site i had to enable the address bar. So now i still don't have a taskbar at the bottom of my screen after doing this. IF i saved the file from resource hacker as "explorermodify" then should I have typed in "explorermodify.exe" as the Value data for Shell? I renamed the word "start" after 578 as "modify" (actually with quotations).I saved the file from resource hacker as "explorermodify" in C:\WINDOWS. Was i supposed to save it in explorer.exe and overwrite the previous file just like that one? Im confused. The problem is i dont have a taskbar anymore (the thing at the bottom of the screen with the START BUTTON!) or even desktop icons. Nothing at all. And so you know, The explorermodify file is outside of the explorer.exe file. It is just inside of C:\WINDOWS. Please help, my computer is really important to me.
    And i just found this thread today.

Quote Originally Posted by PSPBETTERTHANDS
    Why does my computer (well, at least my user) not have a windows task bar at the bottom or desktop icons anymore? All I get when I log in now is my desktop background image. From there all i could do is hit ctrl+alt+delete and then noticed that under processes, explorer.exe wasn't there. I manually started that by hitting file-new task(run...) and then manually typed in explorer.exe. When i did that a page with My Documents came up as if i had clicked the shortcut on my desktop. then to get on this site i had to enable the address bar. So now i still don't have a taskbar at the bottom of my screen after doing this. IF i saved the file from resource hacker as "explorermodify" then should I have typed in "explorermodify.exe" as the Value data for Shell? I renamed the word "start" after 578 as "modify" (actually with quotations).I saved the file from resource hacker as "explorermodify" in C:\WINDOWS. Was i supposed to save it in explorer.exe and overwrite the previous file just like that one? Im confused. The problem is i dont have a taskbar anymore (the thing at the bottom of the screen with the START BUTTON!) or even desktop icons. Nothing at all. And so you know, The explorermodify file is outside of the explorer.exe file. It is just inside of C:\WINDOWS. Please help, my computer is really important to me.
    And i just found this thread today.
    Yes, you should have named the file with the .EXE extension, what you have basically done is change the backup of your original explorer.exe file.... the original explorer.exe file should still be there since you saved it as a different name "explorermodify" , doing your same steps as before "ctrl+alt+delete and manually start the regedit by file-new task(run...) and then manually type in regedit.exe

Except instead of running explorer.exe, run regedit.exe.... then goto :

Step 2 ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬ ¡Ã‚¬Ã…“ Modify the Registry
    Modify the registry again, except this time your gonna rename it back to the original name, explorer.exe

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

In the right pane, double click the Shell entry to open the Edit String dialog box as shown in Fig. 06. In Value data: line, enter the original name explorer.exe file. Click OK.

Don't forget to do Step #1 as well, in the registry, but dont do all of it, we just need to goto 1033, no #578 and name it back to "start"

Senior Member I Modded My PSP darkhunter084's Avatar
    Thanks TZone this should definatly be stickied
    Wake up Mr. Freeman... Not that you were really sleeping...

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    nice tut, yeah, I did this a few years ago back when I had my alienware, changed "start" to "Nate" and changed the windows icon to the alienware logo and changed the start button color to blue (I love blue, in case no one noticed )

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    i have the vista transformation pack 6.0 is there any way i can still do this with the pack installed??? i tried to go to the control panel then display and changed it back to Windows XP theme but it did not work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast