Thread: Cloaking Devices real?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Cloaking Devices real? 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Autopsy's Avatar
    The cloaking devices that are used to render spacecraft invisible in Star Trek might just work in reality, two mathematicians have claimed.

They have outlined their concept in a research paper published in one of the UK Royal Society's scientific journals.

Nicolae Nicorovici and Graeme Milton propose that placing certain objects close to a material called a superlens could make them appear to vanish.

It would rely on an effect known as "anomalous localised resonance".

If the speck of dust is close enough it induces a very aggressive response in the cloaking material
    Professor Sir John Pendry, Imperial College London

However, the authors have so far only done the maths to verify that the concept could work. Building such a device would undoubtedly pose a significant challenge.

Starting small

Cloaking devices are a form of stealth technology much favoured by Star Trek baddies such as the Romulans and Klingons.

The complex mathematical phenomenon outlined by Milton and Nicorovici closes the gap a little between science fiction and fact.

The phenomenon is analogous to a tuning fork (which rings with a single sound frequency) being placed next to a wine glass. The wine glass will start to ring with the same frequency; it resonates.

The cloaking effect would exploit a resonance with light waves rather than sound waves.

The concept is at such a primitive stage that the scientists talk only at the moment of being able to cloak particles of dust - not spaceships.

In this example, an illuminated speck of dust would scatter light at frequencies that induce a strong, finely tuned resonance in a cloaking material placed very close by.

The resonance effectively cancels out the light bouncing off the speck of dust, rendering the dust particle invisible.

One way to construct a cloaking device is to use a superlens, made of recently discovered materials that force light to behave in unusual ways.

Vanishing point

Professor Sir John Pendry, of Imperial College London, who helped pioneer superlenses, said: "If the speck of dust is close enough it induces a very aggressive response in the cloaking material which essentially acts back on the speck of dust and forces it to stop shining.

"Even though light is hitting the speck of dust, scattering of the light is prevented by the cloak which is in close proximity," he told the BBC News website.

The authors of the paper argue that the cloak needn't just work with a speck of dust, but could also apply to larger objects.

But they admit the cloaking effect works only at certain frequencies of light, so that some objects placed near the cloak might only partially disappear.

"I believe their claims about the speck of dust and a certain class of objects. In the paper, they do give an instance about a particular shape of material they can't cloak. So they can't cloak everything," said Professor Pendry.

"Nevertheless, it's a very neat idea to get this aggressive response from the material to stop tiny things emitting light."

The Imperial College physicist agreed this particular concept had potential military uses: "Providing the specks of dust are within the cloaked area, the effect will happen. A cloak that only fits one particular set of circumstances is very restrictive - you can't redesign the furniture without redesigning the cloak."

Details are published in Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences.

Written By. Paul Rincon

Custom Firmware 5.00 m33-4 [hardmod 2GB pandora battery]
    Firmware 1.50 - Japanese - Mint Condish -Stolen
    Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker TZone's Avatar
    This is cool, Autopsy and I'm guessing your one of those Area 51 guys well for the record, I drive a UFO

woot for the ufo ^.^ and yes im a HUGE Conspiracy person area51,aliens goverment cover ups you name it. lol i drive the x-wing (off of starwars)

Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker DarthWalker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TZone
    This is cool, Autopsy and I'm guessing your one of those Area 51 guys well for the record, I drive a UFO
    Area 51 has nothing to do with it. Claking would be simple for anyone to do if we could bend light so that none reflects from an object. Like everyone knows, we only see an object because light gets bounced of it (with the exception of the color Green, Light gets absorbed into that) and we see it in color, and to scale. Bend the light, cloak the object.

Great thearom however Autopsy.

Oh and you may drive the x-wing, but I got the Death Star, Drizzy knows.

List of the PSP-Mod legends, once on PSPmod.com; drizzle, BLACKOUT, jrmdb3, matrixsucks, IONz, mofo196, julie, TZone, SAYN, psplaya, Cloud Strife, demondude777

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker TZone's Avatar
    Here's a pic of my UFO

Haha it looks strangly familiare =P, but ya i understand what your saying and yes i know area51 has nothing to do with Cloaking but i still like to think it dose

Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsy
    Haha it looks strangly familiare =P, but ya i understand what your saying and yes i know area51 has nothing to do with Cloaking but i still like to think it dose
    Even if the conspiracies are true about Area 51, then the only access to cloaking technology the scientists have is from any Alien UFO that crash landed all them years ago(supposedly). Even if they have the working ship in Area 51, cloaking and all, it will take quite some time before we can harness its capeabilities, because we may seem advanced for our times, but when talking in terms of Inter Galactic Time Travel, the Speed of light, and not to mention Cloaking - We are cave men when it comes to real technology.

Interesting fact about the speed of Light: It will be obtainable to reach the speed of light in the future, however because of a very fine tissue we have holding all our organs suspended in our cavaties (in laimens terms-we have the Turkey Hole) and if suddenly we were to speed up at a violent rate, or to stop suddenly at a high speed, we would rip the tissue causeing fatal internal damage. So even if say now we were able to travel at the speed of light, we would die of severe internal injuries.

List of the PSP-Mod legends, once on PSPmod.com; drizzle, BLACKOUT, jrmdb3, matrixsucks, IONz, mofo196, julie, TZone, SAYN, psplaya, Cloud Strife, demondude777

Ok. well lets say when that ufo crashed in roswell nm they take it into the base now they have 15 years to play with that thing. now take in the image of how easy and fast we have gone from records to cd's to blue-ray to umd -.- i honestly doubt they would not have somthing created or taken off for modern day technology when it only took them about 1 year to come up with a normal cd =\ kewl idea though

Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

Ok. well lets say when that ufo crashed in roswell nm they take it into the base now they have 15 years to play with that thing. now take in the image of how easy and fast we have gone from records to cd's to blue-ray to umd -.- i honestly doubt they would not have somthing created or taken off for modern day technology when it only took them about 1 year to come up with a normal cd =\ kewl idea though
    Still, to put it blaitently, we would need a seat belt for our guts, and a CD isent near as advanced as a cloaking device, you can agree with me there.

i can but to a point =P because if we havent accomplished cloaking then how do we know its not that simple ?

Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

i can but to a point =P because if we havent accomplished cloaking then how do we know its not that simple ?
    Because, anything is simple once we have the knowledge on how to do it. At age three you dont know that 2+2=4. A simple question that a crack feind can answer because we were taught it. Its not simple to us because we know nothing about it other then we have to bend the light away from the object so it dosent reflect back into plain visibility. Sure, when/if we learn how to use a cloaking device it will be easy to us, because we learned how to do it. But scientists are teaching themselvs a topic they know nothing about, thats what takes us so long to move forward in breakthroughs.

hmmm very nice but the capability for 2+2=4 is always in the back of our head it it only take a human to learn his basic mathmatics maby 5 to 7 years, now were talking about 15 years. but yes i understand what your saying and i do agree i just like to arguee Especially about Conspiracy stuff ^.^

Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

hmmm very nice but the capability for 2+2=4 is always in the back of our head it it only take a human to learn his basic mathmatics maby 5 to 7 years, now were talking about 15 years. but yes i understand what your saying and i do agree i just like to arguee Especially about Conspiracy stuff ^.^
    I understand. But there is no way in knowing if they were even tampering with a UFO there for 15 years, maby they capture people for human testing to get more accurate medical science. -shrugs-

Quote Originally Posted by DarthWalker
    I understand. But there is no way in knowing if they were even tampering with a UFO there for 15 years, maby they capture people for human testing to get more accurate medical science. -shrugs-

lol thats a horrible though =| but very intresting , but then agian they tryed to kill off the idea of a ufo of any kind if they were taking people wouldnt they want it kept underwraps? i mean there still denying the existence of Nevada Air Force Codename / Area51 , and we have it on satilite =\

Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

lol thats a horrible though =| but very intresting , but then agian they tryed to kill off the idea of a ufo of any kind if they were taking people wouldnt they want it kept underwraps? i mean there still denying the existence of Nevada Air Force Codename / Area51 , and we have it on satilite =\
    Maby they staged a UFO to make people belive they were really there with Alien technology, and gave us a little nudge by saying "Nothing to see here" and keep the UFO into the back of our minds, so that we wont suspect human testing, which could possibly be going on there, and even the police/authority arent allowed in because they respect their research, and they all belive the possible lie. Who knows what to belive anymore, but they will never be caught.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast