Thread: FBI Spying On US Citizens, Again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 FBI Spying On US Citizens, Again... 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Autopsy's Avatar
    Report reveals number of secret FBI subpoenas
    Disclosure mandated as part of Patriot Act renewal

Friday, April 28, 2006; Posted: 11:12 p.m. EDT (03:12 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The FBI secretly sought information last year on 3,501 U.S. citizens and legal residents from their banks and credit card, telephone and Internet companies without a court's approval, the Justice Department said Friday.

It was the first time the Bush administration has publicly disclosed how often it uses the administrative subpoena known as a National Security Letter, which allows the executive branch of government to obtain records about people in terrorism and espionage investigations without a judge's approval or a grand jury subpoena.

Friday's disclosure was mandated as part of the renewal of the Patriot Act, the administration's sweeping anti-terror law.

The FBI delivered a total of 9,254 NSLs relating to 3,501 people in 2005, according to a report submitted late Friday to Democratic and Republican leaders in the House and Senate. In some cases, the bureau demanded information about one person from several companies.

The numbers from previous years remain classified, officials said.

The department also reported it received a secret court's approval for 155 warrants to examine business records last year under a Patriot Act provision that includes library records. However, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has said the department has never used the provision to ask for library records.

The number was a significant jump over past use of the warrant for business records. A year ago, Gonzales told Congress there had been 35 warrants approved between November 2003 and April 2005.

The spike is expected to be temporary, however, because the Patriot Act renewal that President Bush signed in March made it easier for authorities to obtain subscriber information on telephone numbers captured through certain wiretaps.

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, the same panel that signs off on applications for business records warrants, also approved 2,072 special warrants last year for secret wiretaps and searches of suspected terrorists and spies. The record number is more than twice as many as were issued in 2000, the last full year before the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

The FBI security letters have been the subject of legal battles in two federal courts because, until the Patriot Act changes, recipients were barred from telling anyone about them.

Ann Beeson, the associate legal counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union, said the report to Congress "confirms our fear all along that National Security Letters are being used to get the records of thousands of innocent Americans without court approval."

The number disclosed Friday excludes requests for subscriber information, an exception written into the law. It was unclear how many FBI letters were not counted for that reason.

Associated Press. Brought to you by CNN

Custom Firmware 5.00 m33-4 [hardmod 2GB pandora battery]
    Firmware 1.50 - Japanese - Mint Condish -Stolen
    Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker DarthWalker's Avatar
    Its media like this that makes every US citizen tote a gun around, and keeps violence strong. Front page news in Canada is stuff like, litter of puppies needs a home.

List of the PSP-Mod legends, once on PSPmod.com; drizzle, BLACKOUT, jrmdb3, matrixsucks, IONz, mofo196, julie, TZone, SAYN, psplaya, Cloud Strife, demondude777

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Autopsy's Avatar
    Hahaha i agree

Custom Firmware 5.00 m33-4 [hardmod 2GB pandora battery]
    Firmware 1.50 - Japanese - Mint Condish -Stolen
    Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

Senior Member I Modded My PSP darkhunter084's Avatar
    The government is made up of a bunch of slimeballs.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP mofo196's Avatar
    The government? Spying on us?
    This is new and exciting information.

FYI, if you're sick of how things are in America you can always move to another country.
    --
    Oh people, know that you have committed great sins. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP nonom's Avatar
    I'm so tired of government corruption and whatnot. Did you know the only reason hydrogen isn't widely used by the U.S. is because the government wants to continue to make money from the oil they say is running out? Oil is manufactured in the Earth. It can't be used up unless you completely remove it from the planet. The government does not want you to know this, but don't blame Bush. Do you really think he could make smart decisions to convert more money flow to himslef? If he was left to make decisions, we would be better off monateraly.
    If life gives you lemons, say thank you.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mofo196 View Post
    The government? Spying on us?
    This is new and exciting information.

FYI, if you're sick of how things are in America you can always move to another country.

WHO the Hell would be FINE with the government spying on citizens's life , privacy, credit cars, purchases and who knows what more since they dont say all. Only a redneck - American lover like you. That does not give a fuck about what the government does.

LOOKS like you DO like it, since you have no problem with it.

And again.... GOD BLESS this shitty country of ours that SPIES on its own citizens!!!!... WHOOO!!! Im so damn glad im was not born in this place. GO NASCAR.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    wow 3.5k people in the WHOLE U.S., lmfao.

It's probably just really rich people or 'suspected terrorists'.

Quote Originally Posted by mime View Post
    And again.... GOD BLESS this shitty country of ours that SPIES on its own citizens!!!!...
    If you don't like this country, why do you live here? Please,

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Isnt that human rights?? If i found out MI6 Was spying on me (Unlikely theyd spy on a 15 year old skool kid though ) Id take them to court, and probably win., the justice system here is messed up.

Itd be cool though to find out the FBI has been spying on you, Id do a runner to Siberia or somewhere lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Senior Member I Modded My PSP dj_chunk's Avatar
    are u lot that stupid???? do u really think the goverment gives a fuck about your rights? nah do they bollox they dont care about human rights or about ya privacy they never have and never will the goverment is a fuckin JOKE!!
    i got hacked this mornin by sum goverment body and let me tell ya they better at hackin then ANY1 i no!! i cudnt even get them outta ma system till i reconfigured my router n shit they dont care!!, but i bet if i hacked them id get fucked for it its 1 rule for them n another for every 1 else! i fuckin hate the goverment the fuckin cock suckin fuckin homo's
    Last edited by dj_chunk; 11-20-2007 at 07:59 PM.
    id like to thank the following people for helping me out even when they must think im a total retarded muppet but hey look at what iv managed to do lol many thanks go to....

Pirate-M.Lifnen, the begginer, Major Zero, HALOBOY, Got rice?, stef_o36, Alfox, mime, julie

3.40>3.50>lumines>1.50>3.40oe-a>3.51M33-1>1.50>3.40oe-a>3.52M33-2>1.50>3.40oe-a>3.52M33-4

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
    wow 3.5k people in the WHOLE U.S., lmfao.

It's probably just really rich people or 'suspected terrorists'.

If you don't like this country, why do you live here? Please,

]Give me the money and I'll leave this Redneck shit hole , So STFU thats all americans say "LEAVE the country" but they dont STOP and THINK how they can FIX their own damn problems. *Good job man, GOOD job* we are talking about HOW the government sucks and its taking it to the extremes with this whole 9/11 shit when it problably was planned by the government itself

And it does NOT matter if its only a handful of people the thing is... Can the U.S be more hypocrite than that? Talking about how free and how this and they themselves spy on people liike that behind their backs. When the country is supposed to be a "A+" OMG BEST COUNTRY on earth bla bla bla the same thing I heard all the time coming from Americans mouth. Which I found very stupid The United States is not the best country in the world.
    Last edited by mime; 11-20-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    best think u can do is arm yourself and live in the woods with a big ass dog. works for me lol
    R.I.P Zoidberg

KmR
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker KmR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mofo196 View Post
    Yeah seriously, America is a great country. It may do some questionable things every now and then, but in reality, America is a great country to live in. Think of how much you have before blabbing about how terrible the government and Bush are.
    Google.com - Man's best friend.
    Prizerebel.com - Free shit. It works. Received $183.864 worth of prizes so far.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mime View Post
    ]Give me the money and I'll leave this Redneck shit hole , So STFU thats all americans say "LEAVE the country" but they dont STOP and THINK how they can FIX their own damn problems. *Good job man, GOOD job* we are talking about HOW the government sucks and its taking it to the extremes with this whole 9/11 shit when it problably was planned by the government itself

And it does NOT matter if its only a handful of people the thing is... Can the U.S be more hypocrite than that? Talking about how free and how this and they themselves spy on people liike that behind their backs. When the country is supposed to be a "A+" OMG BEST COUNTRY on earth bla bla bla the same thing I heard all the time coming from Americans mouth. Which I found very stupid The United States is not the best country in the world.

All I have to say again is, if you don't like it,

Seriously, why be here if you hate it? Yeah so we need to fix things, we are also a young country compared to every other country out there. You hate it, fine, I don't care, but don't bitch about something that you use, in this case, don't bitch about the U.S. if your living here.

Oh, and I'd rather be a redneck then a 'punk rocker' or 'emo' or just queer imho.
    Last edited by canadianbacon; 11-21-2007 at 03:38 AM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP cmcd14's Avatar
    gonna turn into another flaming war. again everyone has their own opinion. there are a lot of things i see terribly wrong with this country. including those who tell people to GTFO when they question our government. our founding fathers even told us that once in a while our government needs to be challenged and blood shed may be necessary. they are far too corrupt and spending and keeping too many tax dollars. don't get me wrong, the US is a great place to live. i just struggle with what could happen in the future when i am trying to raise my own kids. hell, i may be watched by the FBI for saying this but i think a militia needs to take out the current government.they have too many troops in the middle east to deal with anything like a large militia. just so happens i live in michigan...i hear there's a good militia around here.
    2.6>2.71>1.5>3.03 OE-C>3.52 M33>3.52 M33-4>3.9 M33>3.9 M33-3
    FIFA 07
    4 GB Mem Stick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast