Thread: Diet Cola / Mentos fun

1. #1 Diet Cola / Mentos fun 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP mofo196's Avatar
    I read somewhere that the combination of Diet Coke and Mentos (you know, the freshmaker) are pretty explosive. I don't remember where I heard this, but I know you can only believe about .000003% of what you read on the interweb.

With that knowledge in mind I decided to find out for myself. I purchased a 2 liter (litre for you brits) of Diet Coke and a box of Mentos. From what I understood, emptying the entire roll of Mentos into said Cola would produce an explosive jet. Sadly, I couldn't find a roll of Mentos and had to fashon a tube out of looseleaf paper.

So with 2 liter on the ground, I poured the Mentos into the opening and Sweet Jesus does it work. I was hoping to have a few seconds to get to safe ground before the fountain of Cola started, but it happens almost right away.

It produced a 7 foot spray of Cola straight into the air (the Mentos stayed in the bottle in case you were wondering). After the jet died, there was only about an inch of liquid left in the bottom.

I didn't have time to photograph the event but will try to do so the next time. In the meantime, I highly suggest you try this yourself. It's fairly interesting, cheap and fun in a very dumb way.

A word of note. Try to convince someone else to dump the Mentos in. The spray will almost certainly hit them. I would suggest lying and say that they have a few seconds between dropping the Mentos and the ejection of tasty Diet Cola beverage.
    --
    Oh people, know that you have committed great sins. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

thats awessome...All i need is like $2.50. Definetly gotta try it, but im broke, so its time to get a shovel and dig for 250 pennies. Also dosent regular cola have more acid, so wouldnt the expllosion be better with it
    I dedicate this to drizzle for getting me all the marios on my psp and helping me all the way so Thank You

Senior Member I Modded My PSP mofo196's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny0930
    thats awessome...All i need is like $2.50. Definetly gotta try it, but im broke, so its time to get a shovel and dig for 250 pennies. Also dosent regular cola have more acid, so wouldnt the expllosion be better with it
    From what little I read, it seems to work better with Diet Coke. People seem to think that the brand Coke gives the best results, however I have no scientific proof to back this up. No idea why diet soda works so well.

EDIT: Reply to below...

I wasn't very clear. I have heard that diet soda works better than regular. No idea why. I encourage people to experiment, but for the results I achieved Diet Soda worked like a charm.
    --
    Oh people, know that you have committed great sins. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

no not the brand, i eant like coca cola regualr instead of diet coca cola.
    I dedicate this to drizzle for getting me all the marios on my psp and helping me all the way so Thank You

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker DarthWalker's Avatar
    Hehehe mofo, me and my brother discoverd this 7 years ago, its so awesome eh! And the reason why you use Diet Cola is because Diet Cola has Aspertain in it and is more Carbonated then regular Cola, so BAM!

However me and my brother wrapped the Menthoes up in paper towel and droped them in and had enough time to screw on the cap and run for our lives.

List of the PSP-Mod legends, once on PSPmod.com; drizzle, BLACKOUT, jrmdb3, matrixsucks, IONz, mofo196, julie, TZone, SAYN, psplaya, Cloud Strife, demondude777

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker PSP_Bro's Avatar
    The Best way to do it is to do this:
    Cut a small hole in the soda top
    Take a paper clip, bend it straight, and then stick as many mentos as you can on it, i could fit like 10
    Put the paper clip through the cap, so that the mentos would be inside the bottle if you closed it, and then hold the little piece of metal on the top
    Dump out enough soda so that you can close the bottle and they wouldn't touch the soda
    then drop em in, now you have a contained flow of soda, i did this is in my lunchroom, sprayed everyone....it's awesome

I know those directions are weird as hell too without images, so do your best
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    who me? im a perfect lil angel
    Quoted For Truth......Quoted for Truth