Thread: Should PC games get mod tools for modding them?

1. #1 Should PC games get mod tools for modding them? 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker dashneo's Avatar
    should PC games keep closed or open up to the modding community? do they hurt the industry? help it?

I personally think devs should make games that are openly mod-able with mod tools. I believe that mods can enhance any game and add allot to it's life cycle. as an example, oblivion was very successful and Bethesda even managed to come out with DLC expansion packs and still have them sell really well even though someone could have made a similar mod.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Go take a look at oblivion and fallout, see how mods have created a community and enhanced gameplay.

That is but a small example, think about how a game that is open for mods from the beginning could be.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    Opening a engine to modification is probably the best thing to happen to gaming, in my opinion. Look at the Source engine. Half Life 2 itself has spawned hundreds of mods (Note: maybe not as successful as others may be). But the community itself has really taken control of what developers fail to deliver (maps, gameplay modes, etc). Counter Strike: Source will NEVER see a *gameplay* related, client side update again, because they have left it up to the community to deal with it. And look at it now, its still a top selling game and attracts a bigger audience than most of these high def games
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Yes the halflife engine was one of the best and halflife 2 was no letdown it expanded graphically on the first one and and expanded the overall power the modders had to make more mods.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker dashneo's Avatar
    yes the graphical enhancements that can be done to a game are amazing. the oblivion overhaul 2 mod for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by clwnz View Post
    I type with my dick, and you don't see me typing as shitty as you.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Don't forget the Mount and Blade series, along with some Counter Strike: Source. I've seen a great deal of Mount and Blade mods, which were very helpful to the actual creators of the game way back when they were making it and releasing it in small bits. Counter Strike: Source has some pretty cool mods that make it really interesting to play.

I believe you can still download a demo of Mount and Blade (it's actually everything the game has, except you have a limit of lvl 10 on your character and then either have to purchase or make a new character), but I'm not too sure how much the game costs anymore (I bought it when it was still in development for about 10 dollars).

Anyway, a game that's moddable can really help the developers, especially if the game was crap to begin with. Gamers find ways to improve games where developers forget to.
    DO YOU LIKE BOOBIES?!?!?!?!?

For all your PSP hacking, game downloading, music sharing needs. Click here.
    Christianity

The belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him he can be your master, so he can remove an evil force present in your soul because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.....yeah, makes perfect sense.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    A lot of the mods created for the Half-Life engine (Goldsource) were actually ports of Quake I and II mods, a big example being Counter-Strike. This also explains the name of Valve's engine for Half-Life 2 (Source). I don't necessarily think that developers have to release their code. Even closed-source games can be modded, such as GTA: San Andreas on the PC. Part of the thrill of modding is doing something to the game that was originally unintended. It's like hacking your PSP. Sure, it would be great if Sony allowed you to install custom firmware from the get-go, but isn't it somewhat pleasing when you've "cracked the code" yourself?

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Another briliant side to PC game modding, if thats anyones thing here, is modding to racing games, in particular sims. Updating games with the latest series, the newest tracks, updating the graphics etc. So much can be done to stop the need for buying 'updates' each year like you do for console games.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Yes, I agree with Killer. This is perhaps one of the best open-sourced racing games ever released (free). There are TONS and tons of tracks and cars, and it's super realistic graphically and mechanics-wise. Racer Car and Racing Simulator

Also, if anyone's seen the DX9 mod for GTA: San Andreas, it's quite amazing
    Last edited by Product F(RED); 08-07-2009 at 06:40 PM.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    I've actually not heard of that one, i'll have to give it a try. I was also thinking of the great mods for games like GTR, Race, rFactor, etc.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP OldSkooRebel's Avatar
    Help. Basically people are multiplying the size of the game for free...
    PSPs Softmodded- 9
    PSPs Hardmodded- 3
    Wiis Modded- 1
    iPod Touches/iPhones Jailbroken-1

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member I Modded My PSP geared_up78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dashneo View Post
    yes the graphical enhancements that can be done to a game are amazing. the oblivion overhaul 2 mod for example.
    I totally agree
    PSP services for sale. Custom Paint jobs, CFW installed, LCD screen replacement, LED mods, all work guaranteed and done cheap. 10 year game console modding exp.