Thread: the bottem line of piracy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 the bottem line of piracy 
    Member PSP User
    im just wondering everyones take on piracy of software/ games...everyone has a line...whats yours?

bunnies ate my brain PSP Elite Hacker clwnz's Avatar
    Say what?
    /filler

"I got ice in my veins,
    blood in my eyes
    Hate in my heart,
    love in my mind..."

Guide: OFW to CFW|Free ISO/ROMS!|OFW EBOOT|Guide: CFW w/o Pandora!
    MySpace|Homebrew Thread|PSP Folder Organization

Quote Originally Posted by KhAoSxChAoS View Post
    I facepalmed so many times, I have a fractured forehead...

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    your kidding me right?

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Member PSP User
    no really im one of those who thinks that snes on down should be ok...how hard is it to find some of the rare games anyway

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    Piracy is illegal, no matter how you try to "word" it.
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

bunnies ate my brain PSP Elite Hacker clwnz's Avatar
    Unless its pron. Everyone likes pron.

"I got ice in my veins,
    blood in my eyes
    Hate in my heart,
    love in my mind..."

Guide: OFW to CFW|Free ISO/ROMS!|OFW EBOOT|Guide: CFW w/o Pandora!
    MySpace|Homebrew Thread|PSP Folder Organization

Quote Originally Posted by KhAoSxChAoS View Post
    I facepalmed so many times, I have a fractured forehead...

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    If the software is NOT in production any longer, then I believe it's fine to download. Getting SNES/NES and GBA ROMs shouldn't be illegal. Nobody is making money off of them anymore - except the fat women running the yard sale...
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by clwnz View Post
    Unless its pron. Everyone likes pron.
    sadly this is most likely the reasion why that industry style is losing money

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Honestly I really don't have a position on it myself. Pirating is going to happen in the digital world and in the real world. Its just bound to happen. When someone can't afford or doesn't want to spend money on something they're bound to find a way around paying for it. End of story.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    Many of you are going to "TL;DR" this, but...

I don't like the idea of copyright because if you get a copyright for something, you're saying that it is illegal for someone else to come up with the same idea after you did. Because I don't think ideas can be owned as property for no one else to have, I have no belief in the copyright system. It should be an individual's right to protect their own ideas as property if they so choose.

At the same time though, I recognize that companies want to and have the right to protect their research and development. If we eliminated the cost and time investment involved with patenting by no longer making it a government function, then companies would have a considerably larger budget that they could put towards securing their ideas.

Case in point #1 here. The Playstation 3. Sony spent a fortune making it pirate-proof. They just simply put up so many barriers that people likely won't ever bother. 8 processors to decode? Blu-Ray drive? You still can't and likely won't be able to burn a BD-R at an affordable cost. There are so many things standing in the way of piracy on the PS3 that it just isn't worth it, even if you could.

I work in an industry that is essentially protected by patents. Patenting and licensing are incredibly expensive and time-consuming activites. Not to mention that there is no law that you can pass to make pirating stop. Possession of marijuana is illegal and punishable by death in several Middle Eastern and Asian countries. It's still there, and the same logic applies here.

As far as it applies to this forum, it looks bad and reflects badly on the site. Allowing piracy discussion opens up PSPmod to possible criminal investigations as well. If you don't think the FBI doesn't has divisions monitoring computer "crimes" then you're just plain wrong. A lot of modchip makers/distributors have been targeted in recent years. CFW is essentially the same thing, modifying a device to allow the circumvention of copyrights.
    Last edited by Slowman; 11-03-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Senior Asshole PSP Elite Hacker cowboycalstar's Avatar
    he's right you know....

tl;dr

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .ChAoS-FaCtiOn. View Post
    If the software is NOT in production any longer, then I believe it's fine to download. Getting SNES/NES and GBA ROMs shouldn't be illegal. Nobody is making money off of them anymore - except the fat women running the yard sale...
    Nope, the games are still copyrighted for many years more yet. I believe it's a 50 year minimum.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slowman View Post

I don't like the idea of copyright because if you get a copyright for something, you're saying that it is illegal for someone else to come up with the same idea after you did. Because I don't think ideas can be owned as property for no one else to have, I have no belief in the copyright system. It should be an individual's right to protect their own ideas as property if they so choose.

At the same time though, I recognize that companies want to and have the right to protect their research and development. If we eliminated the cost and time investment involved with patenting by no longer making it a government function, then companies would have a considerably larger budget that they could put towards securing their ideas.

Case in point #1 here. The Playstation 3. Sony spent a fortune making it pirate-proof. They just simply put up so many barriers that people likely won't ever bother. 8 processors to decode? Blu-Ray drive? You still can't and likely won't be able to burn a BD-R at an affordable cost. There are so many things standing in the way of piracy on the PS3 that it just isn't worth it, even if you could.

I work in an industry that is essentially protected by patents. Patenting and licensing are incredibly expensive and time-consuming activites. Not to mention that there is no law that you can pass to make pirating stop. Possession of marijuana is illegal and punishable by death in several Middle Eastern and Asian countries. It's still there, and the same logic applies here.

As far as it applies to this forum, it looks bad and reflects badly on the site. Allowing piracy discussion opens up PSPmod to possible criminal investigations as well. If you don't think the FBI doesn't has divisions monitoring computer "crimes" then you're just plain wrong. A lot of modchip makers/distributors have been targeted in recent years. CFW is essentially the same thing, modifying a device to allow the circumvention of copyrights.
    After 100 years, it's alright though. Ethically, maybe not. But legally, yes.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker mrbob3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slowman View Post

I wonder if this is actually true? the reason i ask is ive been on the tinterweb for a good number of years and since day one there have been loads of sites that you can aquire roms from, psx isos, psp games, games for every console and old computer out there. The thing is, these sites are still going. So how come we mention the P word on a forum and we think the FBI will break down our doors? i know sites like the pirate bay and napster were busted but they were P2P sites. I can understand if the admins on this site dont want any unwanted attention from the authorities, just in case people do start thinking this site has "warez", but how realistic is a bust?

As for the title of this topic, my PSX was chipped and nearly every game i had was a "back up", my ps2 was chipped but when the laser died i just bought a brand new one and kept it clean. Games were cheap enough 2nd hand. As for the ps3, i really couldnt care less if games were downloadable and you could install firmware to play backups like we can with psp.

Maybe its because im getting older but my collection of psone games was 200, my collection of ps2 games was 30, my collection of ps3 games is 5.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    You've been here long enough to where you might remember what happened to Sickmods. They're still not back, they've been promising to be for months now though.

As far as the likelihood of a bust happening, the odds are extremely slim. But we wouldn't want PSPmod to be that 1 in a 1,000.

If you'd recently committed a felony, would you tell another person if there was a cop was standing next to you both?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast