Thread: Need a PC Program

1. #1 Need a PC Program 
    Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    ok, im trying to determine how hard my CPU is working during games, so i need a program that will run in the background and give me a graph or something on how hard it was working, so when i exit the game, i can review the results. this is pretty important right now, since im trying to figure out how to slow down my cpu in order for my new laptop to run cooler. any freeware you guys can offer me?
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker PSP_Bro's Avatar
    umm. i forget the name, but it's some sort of benchmarking program, give me about an hour, and I'll get it for ya
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    who me? im a perfect lil angel
    Quoted For Truth......Quoted for Truth

well while i wait, i figure ill detail my problem better

i have a Alienware area-51M 766 laptop. has a 3.2ghz cpu, ati 9700 128mb video card, and 1gb of ram. well, im trying to play my good games that run fine on my desktop, which is a 2.8ghz cpu w/ a 9600 video card and 1.5gb of ram. its entirely heat related since ive seen Call of Duty run perfect on my desktop, then suck on my laptop. Now, what happens is the graphics "distorts" due to how close the cpu and the video card are. my "plan" is to try and reduce my cpu speeds so it will run cooler, thus letting the gpu run cooler. COD running on lowest settings runs terrible, but thats aslo cause of the CD drive spinning too, adding to the heat. im waiting on a notebook cooler pad so ill be able to run it only slightly declocked for gaming. heres a screencap of what World of Warcraft looks like on the laptop

as you can see, the graphics break up quite a bit on my rig, and id like to try and fix it. right now im running a program called speedswitchxp so the laptop runs at a battery optimised setting and reduces the speed, which seems to be working, so i get a minior glich once in awhile, i aslo have the back of the notebook up on a pair of bottlecaps so air can get under it too.... i know my problems, and im aware of the solutions i could use, i just need a more robust program for tuning my cpu so it will run at a decent level without distortion. ive even considered a external cd rom drive to pull another heat source away from the laptop.. hmmmm
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker PSP_Bro's Avatar
    Ok, as for notebook cooling. I have a gateway m520 plus (upgraded...a lot ) and it's a "Desktop Replacement". It overheats very easily, I have a Targus Chillpad that I use to keep it cool, as well as my air conditioner. The thing you have to worry about the most while cooling your comp, is making sure there is No dust what-so ever in any fan or opening anywhere. And the externals will make it run a lot cooler and a lot smoother, I have 2 external hdds and an external dvd/cd burner/reader on mine, and it rarely overheats after all the things i've done to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    who me? im a perfect lil angel
    Quoted For Truth......Quoted for Truth

i made a video of call of duty just now. waiting for it to finish on youtube.com then ill post up a link so u can see how bad it runs the game
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker stinkypitz's Avatar
    In some games, if you press crtl-alt-delete, it will exit out to desktop. Then just go to the tab with processes and find your game.

^drizzle = jesus of photoshop

Senior Member I Modded My PSP darkhunter084's Avatar
    If i remember correctly you go to control panel then go to performance and maintaince and look for something that will test that. It should be under there somewhere. Hope I helped
    Wake up Mr. Freeman... Not that you were really sleeping...