Thread: Google unveil iPhone killer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Google unveil iPhone killer. 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Google today have unveiled their new HTC built phone to rival the iPhone, called the Nexus one. Plenty of info around the web, but some links:

Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone.

G-Day: Google unveil 'iPhone killer' Nexus One... with an online price tag of £300 | Mail Online

DO WANT! I'm loving the 1ghz processor and well, the whole thing.

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    That things been out of the box for months now, I want one, I have a G1, it looks like it's time for a birthday present in 5 months =/

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsofwar210 View Post
    That things been out of the box for months now, I want one, I have a G1, it looks like it's time for a birthday present in 5 months =/
    Yeah true that, google employees have had them a while and been out, but today was the official launch.

I'd love to get one, but my contract is up for renewal in February, and it won't be out here by then.

Elite Bullshitter PSP Elite Hacker Jubbabubba's Avatar
    Want, but.. $529.. ;_;

Just because.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Jccage's Avatar
    A little too much, but that processor.... Wow
    Hacking Basics, And how to do it. Click here.

Well unlocked phones are always pricy, but I'm pretty certain on an 18/24 month contract this phone will be much, much cheaper than the iPhone.

Hookah Hog PSP Elite Hacker Sennin's Avatar
    yeah, they were talking about the premier on BBC radio. I go to bed when it starts(10pm here vs 6am in UK.). One of the editors from Gizmodo was interviewed and he said that this isn't an iphone "killer". Idk, I'm just tired of seeing iphones. I still rely on buttons.

Either way, I would like to see Steve Jobs get frustrated.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    It won't kill the iPhone alone. It's mostly the vast app catalog and the showcasing of 3D applications that keeps the iPhone ahead in terms of sales and in the average consumer's head. The Droid has been the first truely successful Android-based phone. The beauty of Android is that, not only is it open-sourced, but it exists on phones from many manufacturers.

Oh also, T-Mobile will support them in the US, whether or not you buy it through Google or through them.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

I hate Apple products, especially the iPod and iPhone, so it's great to see what looks like on paper a great alternative. Mind you, there isn't a lot wrong with branded HTC phones running Android, and that's probably what i'll get in February.

Hookah Hog PSP Elite Hacker Sennin's Avatar
    I heard that google really tweaked this to make sure they get the message across in terms of who the developers were. I mean, the BBC and Gizmodo tech said that google is written everywhere on it. It sounds redundant but they spent more time focusing on that.

Personally, I love Android. I wish people would just stop pushing Windows Mobile. It's a lost cause. It's notoriously slow, and that's it's biggest weakness. The new Omnia II from Samsung was supposed to run Android, but they opted for a mix of their TouchWiz interface mixed with Windows Mobile. That's going to hurt sales.

PS: This new interface has been released unofficially as an update for the Droid (aka Motorola Milestone).

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB

Quote Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
    Personally, I love Android. I wish people would just stop pushing Windows Mobile. It's a lost cause. It's notoriously slow, and that's it's biggest weakness. The new Omnia II from Samsung was supposed to run Android, but they opted for a mix of their TouchWiz interface mixed with Windows Mobile. That's going to hurt sales.
    Yep, WM 6.1 is still horrid. I've not owned a device with either OS yet, but having played around with phones running both of them, Android is a million times better.

Android's biggest "feature" is that it's open-sourced. Without that, it'd be another proprietary OS to compete with the iPhone.

Homebrew Creator PSP Elite Hacker Mobster's Avatar
    I currently have an iphone and love everything about it except the cost. It will be nice to have a great phone like it for less per month cost.
    Left4Quake donation complete!

Left 4 Dead on PSP!

Quote Originally Posted by mobsterbouma View Post
    I currently have an iphone and love everything about it except the cost. It will be nice to have a great phone like it for less per month cost.
    The price of the service is decided only by the cell phone company. In the US, prices are ridiculous. $30 per month, and only for data. What's more ridiculous is that they think we're stupid and we don't know that text-messaging literally costs them nothing, since the data travels over unused bandwidth along the voice signal. The least they could do is include unlimited texting with unlimited data plans. I know for fact that in Europe, not only are the "lower-end" phones offered by the phone companies a lot further ahead in terms of technology, but also the service is much cheaper. Why? Competition. Europe is smart, like 98% of the world, and uses GSM, which should be an international standard. The US, on the other hand, is stupid, and while companies like AT&T decided to migrate from TDMA (very similar to CDMA) to GSM, Verizon and Sprint decided to stay with CDMA. CDMA requires royalty fees to Qualcomm, the owner and maker of the technology/protocol. GSM, on the other hand, is fully open and royalty-free. So Apple only had to choose between 2 different companies, no matter if it picked either GSM over CDMA for use in iPhone or vice versa. In the UK, for example, I know for fact that there are at least 3 or 4 GSM carriers, and that more than half of them have the iPhone. It's also wrong that carriers are now imposing data plans on smartphone users, regardless of whether or not they want a data plan. I had to spoof the IMEI on my iPhone just to avoid this.

Another problem is the locking of cell phones to specific carriers. It's just plain wrong. I have no problem hacking away to unlock the phones myself, but I'd rather be given the right to take the phone I bought with my money anywhere I choose. I know it facilitates the discount prices of phones from the carriers, but it's wrong either way you look at it.

One more thing, CDMA technology is stupid because:

- No SIM cards (there are some exceptions)
    - No coverage in a majority of the world
    - Activation of phones? Really?
    - When surfing the web, you can't receive or make calls (because the CDMA modem, which is also used for data in both GSM and CDMA phones will be transferring internet data)
    Last edited by Product F(RED); 01-05-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast