Thread: otherOS out of PS3

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 otherOS out of PS3 
    Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Sony: phat PS3s will not lose Other OS feature

Sony: PS3 Firmware v3.21 coming this April, "Other OS" feature removed

From QJ
    Sony has announced that next firmware update for the PS3 will be released on April 1, 2010 and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature due to security concerns. According to Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media, this move was done to ensure the PS3 community will continue enjoy the broad range of contents on a more secure system:

This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
    * Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
    * Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
    * Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

Sony also reminded those PS3 owners who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but schoose to install the system software update, you will need to back-up your data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” to avoid data loss as you will not be able to access that data following the system update.
    ok so they say no, then do it. this really had better be a joke, or they are in for some deep shit.

something i had said on Qj
    what the fuck are they thinking? removing they only good thing about the PS3? whats next, removing ps1 disk playback, make it only to be played from psn downloaded?

please tell me they picked of somkeing on the job?

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    wtf, notice how it's released on April 1st, and is v3.21?

Coincidence?

April 1st i get....3.21 part i dont have a clue what you mean.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xavis75211 View Post
    3 2 1.. 0..

Last edited by iPenguin; 03-29-2010 at 04:53 AM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Do the numbers 6.20 ring a bell to you?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    I still don't see it either. Anyways, they won't disable OtherOS. There are no security risks. They even disabled GPU usage in OtherOS, forcing all rendering to be done through software.

If they do disable it, it would be so that people would stop buying Phats and more people bought Slims, but that's highly unlikely and is a dick move. People would revolt, I'm telling you. Anyways, unless they're developing a custom firmware for the Army when they buy those PS3s for their super-computer, they're not removing OtherOS.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iPenguin View Post
    3 2 1.. 0..

I was about to totally curse you the fuck out over that. Not because of the picture, but because downloading PDFs automatically is a security concern for me.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
    I was about to totally curse you the fuck out over that. Not because of the picture, but because downloading PDFs automatically is a security concern for me.
    lulz, thanks.
    It's loldongs. Gay Ni***r Association of some shit that i can't seem to remember.

wtf? peng banned? and this dude banned too? wtf happend?

also fred, fucking phats making people buy slims sounds something they will do....but that just doesn't make sense.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    wtf? peng banned? and this dude banned too? wtf happend?

also fred, fucking phats making people buy slims sounds something they will do....but that just doesn't make sense.
    iPenguin was temp banned for innapropriate links in the chatbox, the other dude is banned because he is using a bugmenot.com account.

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
    * Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
    * Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
    * Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later
    Ahh come on look at those "features". The first one is basically saying you can't sign in and use any PSN features, second one is saying you can't play games that need firmware higher than 3.21, the last saying anything after 3.21. That's just silly, because nothing higher than 3.21 would exist.

Obvious April fools.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer View Post
    Obvious April fools.
    Since the removal of backwards compatibility..............................

Kaz Hirai is an IDIOT.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    well the update definitely wasn't an April fool's...my system updated 1st thing this morning, but i can't confirm on the other OS since i have the newer slim model.
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by goku2778 View Post
    well the update definitely wasn't an April fool's...my system updated 1st thing this morning, but i can't confirm on the other OS since i have the newer slim model.
    its really out. they got rid of it.

now lets see what all gets removed now.

PS3 firmware v3.21 now live, "Other OS" removed
    Last edited by xavis; 04-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Surprising, but really, how many people used that function? Can't be many.

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast