Thread: The Yes Men Fix The World

1. #1 The Yes Men Fix The World 
    KmR
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker KmR's Avatar
    Google.com - Man's best friend.
    Prizerebel.com - Free shit. It works. Received $183.864 worth of prizes so far.

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    tl:dw
    while some points they have may be right, taking a stand like they what's best for me personally off puts me from them.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I couldn't watch it for some reason. None of my browsers worked

Quote Originally Posted by bigbossVII View Post
    I couldn't watch it for some reason. None of my browsers worked
    install flashplayer

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Naw... Flash is all up in my computer infecting all my files

KmR
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek9 View Post
    tl:dw
    while some points they have may be right, taking a stand like they what's best for me personally off puts me from them.
    Give it a chance. Watch the whole thing.

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    I watched this in it's entirety...How are these guys not in jail? What they say makes sense, and I agree with it; but it totally slanders on the companies. Good watch. This is definitely something I'd expect KMR to find and post.
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

KmR
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanz__ View Post
    ...How are these guys not in jail?...
    I was thinking the same thing the whole time. Glad you enjoyed it though, I sure did.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    I'm about 26 minutes in right now and I can tell that this movie runs somewhat counter to my political sensibilities. The presenters want to make corporations look like the bad guy, and in a lot of cases they are. But they're presenting it from a viewpoint that promotes the idea of more and bigger government. I think this is a short-sighted and potentially dangerous idea if it becomes more publicly acceptable than it already is.

We need corporations in the US, and we need more of them. Many are leaving the country and taking jobs with them as they go. This isn't very good for us, the supposedly free people, either. I believe strongly that individual freedom is the foundation of strength in this nation, NOT a larger, more intrusive government. In this instance I am NOT referring to corporations as individuals, which from a legal standpoint they are. This is wrong. What we truly need are for corporations to stop entangling with government and becoming tools of social change and manipulation.

However, since I believe in total freedom for the individual, I also believe that this movie should be distributed and freely viewable by anyone. I think the burden of responsibility should be social ostracism and word of mouth, very similarly to how Wal-Mart and Nike have been ostracized for poor treatment of workers and other ruthless business practices. I think it's fantastic that people are willing to organize and truly force companies to change bad policy.

KmR
    I hear what you're saying Slowman, I really do, but I got a different message from the film. I just see big business exhibiting a copious amount of greed and pursuing that greed with literally no end, even if that means sacrificing human life for wealth. This being in contrast to what the Yes Men are trying to do: the right thing, the humane thing.

Now you can debate on how much government intervention should be in these industries, however, I believe that's a whole other issue and that this film is not based around that question solely. That being said, it still plays a very important role and I can completely understand what you're saying Slowman.

It's nice to see intelligence displayed here, rather than the typical bullshit.
    Last edited by KmR; 07-26-2010 at 07:25 AM.

Greed at the expense of health and human happiness provides a quick short term payoff. A humane, restrained form of greed provides a much longer lasting and much more prosperous payoff. Doing the right thing is a net benefit for any company. This is very rare to find though as it seems every company just wants their numbers up for the next quarter's financial report, and will do whatever it takes to accomplish that.

As Milton Friedman says, greed is GOOD and drives the American economy. We should ALL be profiting from the capitalist system but when corporations and government intertwine, this is when a company gains the monopoly over the use of force that only the government has.

I did stay up a bit later than I should have last night, but I finished watching it and ultimately I really like how they went about doing what they did. I may not agree with their political leanings and I may have mixed feelings about their joy at causing stock prices to drop, but I really like how they went about doing what they did. Very guerilla style, and I like it.

I do so hate when people say that greed is bad, because its not. Greed has fueled America's astounding growth for decades, however, its when greed forgoes human rights in such an asinine way that not only affects the worker, but the consumer. I don't doubt that we've suffered at the hands of corporations sometimes, but I don't buy that some how the government is going to magically fix the problem. I said this frequently throughout my history class last year where my liberal teacher said I was nuts for thinking that we should let consumer decide and not limit corporations, but rather let their actions decide their consumer base. Ultimately its up to us the consumer on who to support. Know your enemy.

KmR
    I agree that greed is good, to certain extent. I never said it was bad. When it's bad is when those pursue that greed with no end. The no end part is the bad part. That's what these companies in the film were precisely doing. Doing whatever they could get away with to make money.

It turned my stomach when that guy came up to them after one of their conferences and told them that he thought their presentation was refreshing. This is quite simply unfettered greed and those people disgust me.

KmR
    Yup. To make matters worse, he was actually giggling too.