Thread: FFX was the last great Final Fantasy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1 FFX was the last great Final Fantasy 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,420
    I want your opinion on this, here's mine:

    Basically every PSP title that was a Final Fantasy was a remake of old shit, or a new game that had no plot whatsoever. FFXIII failed because it was ported to the 360 and lost more than a game and a half of content had it stayed exclusive. Its a whole 3 discs on the 360, last time we had to do that was in 2000 for FFIX. So the extra content had to go, and Square Enix had to make concessions at every turn. The plot gets fuzzy for the meat of the game, and I found myself wondering what was going on half the time. The gameplay is incredibly linear, and there are NO PLACES TO EXPLORE.

    FFXII attempted to take a step in the right direction, but failed in every avenue because the new combat system was a bore (but a nice concept) and the leveling system is incredibly weak (read: no character diversity, and a bad bad rip of the Sphere grid from X). Before the halfway mark I could pretty much walk through most of the game thanks to the Gambit system, then magically at one point enemies are 40 levels above me and no matter what I do I cannot win. Also the story was just off at times just because instead of having 1 lead character and his/her drama FFXII tried to pull off 6.

    FFXI failed because I hate MMORPGS with a burning passion, and all of the other FF releases (prequels and sequels) just dropped the ball for me and lost any luster the original game had.

    FFXIV is supposed to be another MMORPG. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

    TL;DR: I want Squaresoft back, Square Enix is doing it wrong.
    Last edited by bigbossVII; 08-12-2010 at 10:24 AM.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Asshole PSP Elite Hacker cowboycalstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,457
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossVII View Post
    I want your opinion on this, here's mine:

    Basically every PSP title that was after FFX was a remake of old shit, or a new game that had no plot whatsoever.
    This is true. FFVII BAWWsis Core had an uninteresting plot and a big douche for a protagonist.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossVII View Post
    FFXIII failed because it was ported to the 360
    Well of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossVII View Post
    The gameplay is incredibly linear, and there are NO PLACES TO EXPLORE.
    That's cause it's hard work to make something interesting. Think of how look it took to make the ruins of D.C. fun and exploitable.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossVII View Post
    FFXII was a step in the right direction, but failed... and the leveling system is incredibly weak (read: no character diversity, and a bad bad rip of the Sphere grid from X). Also the story was just off at times just because instead of having 1 lead character and his/her drama FFXII tried to pull off 6.
    The story interested me, but I could give two shits about Vaan. Now Penelo and Fran, that's different stories involving 5 cans of baby oil. Vaan was another of your whiny douche protagonists who happens to be in the right place at the right time and gets whisked away on an adventure he doesn't deserve to be a part of. Seems like every other character except Vaan has a purpose and isn't a douchenugget. As for your drama, FFVI pulled off 12 characters beautifully. Well, moar like 8 characters stories with 4 extras for fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossVII View Post
    Before the halfway mark I could pretty much walk through most of the game thanks to the Gambit system, then magically at one point enemies are 40 levels above me and no matter what I do I cannot win.
    You're doing it wrong. You have to have had to think outside the box to enjoy that game.


    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossVII View Post
    FFXI failed because I hate MMORPGS with a burning passion, and all of the other FF releases (prequels and sequels) just dropped the ball for me and lost any luster the original game had.
    Haters gonna hate.


    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossVII View Post
    TL;DR: I want Squaresoft back, Square Enix is doing it wrong.
    So we can have wonderful games like Tobal No.1, Ergheiz, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Chocobo Dungeon, Chocobo Racing, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Bushido Blade 2, Sonic R, Ogenki Clinic, Wayne's World (SNES), Secret of Evermore, Custer's Revenge, and Battletoads.


    P.S. EDIT: Other World is one of the sorriest, faggiest, gayer than Little Richard, Elton John, and Richard Simmons songs ever shoved down anyone's (yours) throats.
    Last edited by cowboycalstar; 08-12-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: srsly, other world is a retarded gay fag song. i'd rather praise AVGN for his hard work and comedic timing than listen to tha
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    L
    PSP Elite Hacker El Guapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,830
    P.S. EDIT: Other World is one of the sorriest, faggiest, gayer than Little Richard, Elton John, and Richard Simmons songs ever shoved down anyone's (yours) throats.
    Richard Simmons??, how do you know about Richard Simmons?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,420
    I'm going to mark my replies in RED to in your quote to save time, and for arguments sake make things easier for others to jump into the debate.

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboycalstar View Post
    This is true. FFVII BAWWsis Core had an uninteresting plot and a big douche for a protagonist.

    As did Dissidia. It introduced only 3 new characters. Solid gameplay, but plot and voice acting just pretty much killed it.

    That's cause it's hard work to make something interesting. Think of how look it took to make the ruins of D.C. fun and exploitable.

    Fallout was more of an open-world type of game. Anyway, most FFs suffer from being linear but this shit was like being guided on rails. Subsequent playthroughs will bring you no extra enjoyment, because it doesn't have much to give. Also short on cool minigames as well.

    The story interested me, but I could give two shits about Vaan. Now Penelo and Fran, that's different stories involving 5 cans of baby oil. Vaan was another of your whiny douche protagonists who happens to be in the right place at the right time and gets whisked away on an adventure he doesn't deserve to be a part of. Seems like every other character except Vaan has a purpose and isn't a douchenugget. As for your drama, FFVI pulled off 12 characters beautifully. Well, moar like 8 characters stories with 4 extras for fun.

    The story only held me for the first quarter of the game. It went from a magical, light-hearted adventure to a bore fest. One of the few times that I wasn't too thrilled to actually go through a FF. I have no argument for FF6, as it's one of my favorites. That one isn't up for discussion though, its XII. And that was pretty terrible. Although I do admit, Fran had the least focus, but she was the most interesting character in that game.

    You're doing it wrong. You have to have had to think outside the box to enjoy that game.

    Gambit setup for all characters

    Ally: HP < 30% - Cure/Cura/Curaga
    Ally: KO - Phoenix Down
    Ally: KO - Life
    Ally: MP < 20% - Ether
    Foe targeting Self - Attack
    Self: Haste
    Self: Regen

    /game

    You rarely ever need anything for statuses as you will either die and get healed of it, or it isn't serious enough to warrant a Gambit for it. Shell and Protect are as useless as ever.


    Haters gonna hate.

    Can't say I disagree. Worst game genre ever.

    So we can have wonderful games like Tobal No.1, Ergheiz, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Chocobo Dungeon, Chocobo Racing, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within(this was a movie Cal), Bushido Blade 2, Sonic R, Ogenki Clinic, Wayne's World (SNES), Secret of Evermore, Custer's Revenge, and Battletoads.

    You forgot SaGa Frontier, which released at the same time as FF7. Underrated game is underrated. Also the Chrono series was a pretty cool series dude.

    P.S. EDIT: Other World is one of the sorriest, faggiest, gayer than Little Richard, Elton John, and Richard Simmons songs ever shoved down anyone's (yours) throats.

    Agreed.
    Last edited by bigbossVII; 08-12-2010 at 11:08 AM.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,060
    the FF7s had a pretty good story if you open your mind. keep it shut like a moron and you make your self look like an idiot. bashing games is just stupid, its a fucking game, dont like it, move on.

    FFX was the same. the only thing that was bad about most of the games was the gameplay.

    "I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

    CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,291
    turn based sucks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12,155
    the FF world hasnt really been moved since they killed Aeris.

    for me, the last great FF game was 3/6. steampunk theme, all the characters were interesting, fun game in general, and the fact that it was my very first true rpg. so naturally its pretty high on my list.

    7 was another one with a well laid out story and characters. i couldnt be bothered to ever finish it (someday), but it was still good. theres alot of popularity and fanpeople around this game, but theres a good reason: its good.

    8/9/10 are all pretty much a blur to me. couldnt be bothered to play them very far. characters didnt interest me, story seemed like the same one as the game before it, etc. however i enjoyed 9 for some reason... but again, i failed to complete it.

    overall, i dont have the patience for rpgs anymore. too much time invested, too much stat counting, overcomplicated battle systems, and a lack of patience due to getting older. ill always have time to dabble in the classics from the 16 bit era, but for modern rpgs? no thanks.
    R.I.P Zoidberg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    the FF world hasnt really been moved since they killed Aeris.

    for me, the last great FF game was 3/6. steampunk theme, all the characters were interesting, fun game in general, and the fact that it was my very first true rpg. so naturally its pretty high on my list.

    7 was another one with a well laid out story and characters. i couldnt be bothered to ever finish it (someday), but it was still good. theres alot of popularity and fanpeople around this game, but theres a good reason: its good.

    8/9/10 are all pretty much a blur to me. couldnt be bothered to play them very far. characters didnt interest me, story seemed like the same one as the game before it, etc. however i enjoyed 9 for some reason... but again, i failed to complete it.

    overall, i dont have the patience for rpgs anymore. too much time invested, too much stat counting, overcomplicated battle systems, and a lack of patience due to getting older. ill always have time to dabble in the classics from the 16 bit era, but for modern rpgs? no thanks.
    X did take a bit to get interesting, but story wise its the best. 3/6 is one of my favorites as well, I can see your point. 9 is kinda the throwback to the older style of FF and its story was lighter hearted than the last two. It was pretty cool so far(I haven't got through it all of the way either...) and I can't be bothered at all with 8. For some reason, I felt like that one was the bastard child of the PSX FF's. It just didn't click for me. Tactics was cool and it was a fun game.

    To be honest, FFX is as simple as it gets in terms of stats and the battle system. The series as a whole just goes downhill from there really. In my honest opinion the battle system was actually the easiest to exploit in terms of AP tricks, and things of that nature. The story brought along some of the best bosses you'd ever encounter in a RPG, and some memorable cut-scenes and its one of the PS2 titles that are a must-get for anyone even if you don't like the genre.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Remember Reach PSP Mad Hacker Fanryu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    724
    Honestly BigBoss, if you tried FFXIV when it comes out, you might very well like it. I'm a hardcore FFXI player, have been for a while now, and from what I've heard, FFXIV is gonna be incredible. And FFXI is nothing like WoW, where you ask for someone's help and you get "lawl can i haz 40000 gol 4 hlpin u? no? fine im guna git on me 80 alli lock and camp u lawl".

    It's a lot more teamwork oriented too, and so is FFXIV. People are a LOT more polite, and actually try to be friendly when you need it. It's worth $12 for a single month to try it out I say. You very well may like it, as I've enjoyed every part of FFXI (Except Valkurm Dunes >.<). And you don't NEED to dedicate your life to it either. I'd say you can't really knock the game before it's even out. (Not hating on you)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    ♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,920
    still havent beat FF13, but i thought it was pretty great. yes it is linear, but i like the story and thats all a RPG is really about to me. the battle system is fun, the graphics are great and bla bla bla i enjoy it
    I'm a fag.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by KhAoSxChAoS View Post
    Honestly BigBoss, if you tried FFXIV when it comes out, you might very well like it. I'm a hardcore FFXI player, have been for a while now, and from what I've heard, FFXIV is gonna be incredible. And FFXI is nothing like WoW, where you ask for someone's help and you get "lawl can i haz 40000 gol 4 hlpin u? no? fine im guna git on me 80 alli lock and camp u lawl".

    It's a lot more teamwork oriented too, and so is FFXIV. People are a LOT more polite, and actually try to be friendly when you need it. It's worth $12 for a single month to try it out I say. You very well may like it, as I've enjoyed every part of FFXI (Except Valkurm Dunes >.<). And you don't NEED to dedicate your life to it either. I'd say you can't really knock the game before it's even out. (Not hating on you)
    Call me old fashioned or a nitpick, but I believe FFXI and FFXIV (even FFXII can be lopped in) DO NOT deserve a numbered release. I believe that true FF games are traditional Japanese RPG's. They don't necessarily have to be menu-driven, but the turn base here is the key. I have always been a fan of Square, but the fact that they are taking more of a western approach is turning me away. For instance, FF Tactics played fundamentally different than any other FF before it. Did it get a number? No. Neither did the Crystal Chronicles games either. XI and XIV are no different. They can have the Final Fantasy name, but don't give them a number. Its plain stupid. I've played XI, and I just didn't like it at all to be honest.

    Its directly comparable to the new direction of the Metal Gear. True Metal Gear games star either Solid Snake or Naked Snake. Now Raiden is the star of the series? Guess who isn't buying the new MG game..
    Last edited by bigbossVII; 08-18-2010 at 04:35 AM.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,060
    the numbering is due to an actual final fantasy game. the other are moreless spin offs with no real significance.

    "I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

    CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by xavis View Post
    the numbering is due to an actual final fantasy game. the other are moreless spin offs with no real significance.
    Thats my point.

    XI, XII, and XIV should not have numbers. Give them subtitles but not numbers. MMORPGs suck, and XI was no different. I just want Square to make a game on the same level as FFX. I guess the bar was raised so high with that game, that even decent releases seem shitty.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossVII View Post
    Thats my point.

    XI, XII, and XIV should not have numbers. Give them subtitles but not numbers. MMORPGs suck, and XI was no different. I just want Square to make a game on the same level as FFX. I guess the bar was raised so high with that game, that even decent releases seem shitty.
    11 should not have had a number, the others can, but they just suck.


    also and the bars, no they just suck now. even KH has been started to suck. they ain't got shit now.

    "I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

    CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    ♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,920
    12 was good too WTF? Versus 13 hopefully will be releases before my dick falls off. Versus 13 appears to be more than what meets the eye. Autobots roll out! You can call me James Huffy aka Funky Chicken. Dope fiend. But back on track it's ganna be open world and you have acess to travel via airship and world map. Nah mean niggus? We doin it big here at Cruisin Gold Donk Show BOYYY! Wait for part 2 boyy. You already now boyy. ya boyy.
    I'm a fag.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Final Fantasy IX help
    By Spectram in forum PSP Emulation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 01:11 AM
  2. Final Fantasy VII on 3.90 m33-2
    By Fresh88 in forum PSP Emulation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 04:51 PM
  3. Chrono Trigger vs Final Fantasy VII vs Final Fantasy VIII
    By Cobray Gordon in forum Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 08:26 AM
  4. Final fantasy 7 : CD1 bug
    By Dumah in forum PSP Emulation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM
  5. Final Fantasy IX Help
    By baseball_dude in forum PSP Emulation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •