Thread: BMX Enthusiasts Unite!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 BMX Enthusiasts Unite! 
    Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    Julie, coolest1, and El Guapo. Eff you guys for lighting the BMX fire back in me after 15 years. More stuff for me to spend money on, lol.

This is the 1981 Schwinn Predator I picked up for $150 the other day. All original except for the chain, this thing is an 80's survivor that was ridden for 2 years and then parked in a basement. I bought it for $150 ($14 less than you could pick one up for in 1981) and spent the weekend tearing it down completely and rebuilding it. It rides like it literally just came from the store new and is quite simply the best bike I've ever owned.

Ya'll dump your pictures nao!

Last edited by Slowman; 10-11-2010 at 03:05 AM.

Canadian Taco PSP Mad Hacker Jose Burrito Gu's Avatar
    if you take that to a skate park you will either get laughed at or get major respect, pretty epic though

L
    Alright, I have two myself, here is the first one;

Schwinn Pro XS 4130 frame
    Schwinn XS 3 piece cranks
    Redline inverted threadless stem
    Araya 7x rims
    XS sealed bearing hubs
    Schwinn XS 4130 threadless fork
    Dia-Comp MX-99 brake lever
    Schwinn XS platform pedals
    Redline chain tensioners

L
    This is my second one;

Schwinn Sting 4130 frame
    Mongoose 3 piece cranks
    Haro 4130 threadless fork
    Sun rims
    Odyssey seat, pitbull2 brakes and lever
    Schwinn XS threadless stem
    Redline sealed bearing hubs and chain tensioner
    Wellgo platform pedals

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar

1998 GT Power Series, picked up off craigslist for a mere $80. stripping all the decals off it to shine up the factory paint, then ill be cannibalizing a freebie Dyno i got for a few parts. replace a few things (tires, tubes, grips, brake cable and pads), and ill be close to riding it.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Member PSP User

srry for bad pic, but nothing great, stock 2005 gt performer except for monster grips, removed decals, and removed front brake. It's a street bike but I've used it strictly for dirt jumping and now I don't have the time for that. Has street tires on cuz I ride to class everyday...uphill. I get made fun of everyday for using this, but for a campus/crowded setting I think I'm better off than a mountain/road bike for sure, I weave thru people like I'm making a sweater...

EDIT : btw...your bikes are amazing! I love the skinny/light frames of older models. Slowman, that bike is PIMP. You guys are making me want to fix up mine!
    Last edited by KrzykidKrisB; 10-11-2010 at 06:04 AM.

Thanks.

Anyone that runs stripped decals and a front brake delete is win. If there's one thing I hate on bikes its stickers. Your bike isn't bad at all, black is awesome. Just get a set of basic hand tools and rip that bike apart, clean everything, and repack all the bearings with fresh grease. Sure it'll take a solid 6 hours, but take it for a ride afterwards and you won't regret doing it at all. Clean it up.

Julie, chemical strip that paint off and let the aluminum frame shine. Aluminum polishes to a brilliant sheen, and quite easily too.

Member PSP User
    thnx! I actually have taken it almost completely apart; I was afraid to take front fork/handlebars apart for sake of putting it back together haha. I def need clean it up.

I actually have a question - can I replace my brakes with most other after market brakes? any recommendations? the system I have is a bit shoddy, and when i put it back together, no matter what I do, the brake is always engaged on one side. I don't like how the cables wrap around the seat post/frame either.

Im thinking about stripping the frame too as the paint is def marked up, I hope I can reassemble the fork/frame/handlebars!
    Last edited by KrzykidKrisB; 10-11-2010 at 07:09 AM.

you can delete the detanger and run a straight cable to any aftermarket set of u-brakes (aka 990s). will be lighter and more powerful. also, if youre only getting the brakes to pull on one side, then you need to adjust them. 990s use a coil spring to adjust tension in the arms, just use a wrench to put tension on the bad side and tighten down the allen head bolt ontop. you could also spring for a set of Tektro FX30's which dont use coil springs and are slightly easier to adjust.

as far as my bike goes, i wanna keep it black because ive yet to see another black Power Series on bmxmueseum, so it might be kinda rare, oh and its cheaper then stripping the paint, which leads to me wanting to offset the aluminum color with black forks... and thats more money.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Now I want to pick up an aluminum frame and polish it until it blinds people and then build up all the other hardware from aftermarket stuff.

Member PSP User
    yes i want a blinding bike with black wheels/seat/fork/chainwheel/pedals/handlebars/brakes. What applicator do you use to strip the paint without damaging the aluminum, paper towels or a sponge of sorts? also what do you use to polish?

Same method for stripping finishes off a guitar, use a high-powered heat gun and it'll flake right off. At that point, I would use 1000 grit sandpaper, then 1500, then 2000, then just an average tub of Turtle Wax polishing compound and a rag.

Prepare for your arm to fall off.

be very careful when using a heatgun on aluminum. its easy to warp the metal if you get too aggressive.

personally, id take the frame to a shop that handles bead blasting and have them strip the paint off. quick, tidy, and alot gentler on the metal, plus it leaves a nicely prepped surface to begin the polishing.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Well you're not heating it up red hot. It doesn't take much heat to flake off paint. If this method is acceptable for 50 year old guitars, I would guess it's acceptable for modern aluminum stock.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker TheMeek's Avatar
    Heres a pic of my bike, Id take an actual pic of mine and show it but in process of packing and moving, anyways the gooseneck is broke, the Bolt going into it snapped in half...and also my pics wont post....Diamondback BMX Grind 20

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast