Thread: Strange insect

1. #1 Strange insect 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    The other day, I saw a strange bug flying around. It looked like a wasp, but it had a bright orange stripe around it. :weird:
    Has anyone seen one before? What the hell is it?

2. #2 Strange insect 
    Ity might be the Asian Wasp

3. #3 Strange insect 
    You mean this...?

It was nothing like that. I see those all the time. It was completely black with one very bright orange stripe.

4. #4 Strange insect 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    <span style="color:DarkOrchid">Bright orange you say? It's probably a cow ant. Strange as the name may seem, they're all over here down here in florida, during summer anyways.

A cow ant is basically a lone warrior ant that disquises itself with the size and appearance of an ant queen, and emits the same smell to them. Once it's in the nest, it feeds upon the larva, while the other ants unknowningly protect it as a queen.

Why do I know this? Agriculture teachers can give some boring lectures while out on campus. </span>

5. #5 Strange insect 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_ant

I guess you mean the top ant at that link. Pretty close, but not quite right. It only had one bright orange stripe on its back that went around it. Plus, it really looked more like a wasp than an ant.

6. #6 Strange insect 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    hahah! i found it!

Hornets (Dolichovespula maculata and Vespa crabro)
    The so-called bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata), about ?-inch long, black and white, with white face, is actually a larger yellowjacket species. Its nest is the familiar basketball-size papery oval hanging from tree limbs and sometimes structures. Colonies are relatively small, containing up to 700 wasps. An even larger wasp is the European hornet (Vespa crabro). This is a true hornet, more than an inch long and reddish brown in color with dull orange stripes. Nests occur in trees and in attics and wall voids of structures near forested areas.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcbees.htm:pirate:

7. #7 Strange insect 
    Nope.... Good try, but that's not it. Here's my pathetic attempt to draw the weird wasp/hornet/bee-like insect in MSpaint. :haha:

If someone really finds out what this thing is, then that person will get rep.

8. #8 Strange insect 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    oo mabay its one of those flying ants!http://images.lowes.com/general/a/an...rmites_ant.gif

9. #9 Strange insect 
    Nope... too many stripes. Also, in my picture, the orange should be brighter. And yes, it is an orange stripe, not yellow.

10. #10 Strange insect 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    <span style="color:DarkOrchid">Did it look fuzzy, as in, did it have lots of hairs?</span>

11. #11 Strange insect 
    I didn't really see any hair or fuzziness. What did you think it could be?