Thread: My pc vs. video games

1. #1 My pc vs. video games 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Aaron_Watson's Avatar
    Okay here are the spec's

Pentium 4 ht 3.0 ghz
    1024 mb ram
    64 mb video card(It's actully quite bad its integrated into my motherboard...)
    250 gb hdd
    dvd burner
    cd burner

Ps2
    CPU: Emotion Engine 300MHz, 128-bit INT, 128-bit FP, 24KB L1, 16KB Scratch, 8KB VU0, 32KB VU1, 450 MIPS, 6.2 GFLOPS, 66M Vertices/Sec, 2.4 GB/s Internal, 1.2 GB/s Graphics, 3.2 GB/s Memory
    Graphics: Sony GS 150MHz, 1.2G Texels/Sec, 32-bit Color, 4MB (48 GB/s), 1.2 GB/sec Bus
    Sound: SPU2, 48 2D Voices, ADPCM, 2MB
    Data: 24MB (2.6 GB/s), 16MB (81 MB/s), 4.7GB Discs, Expansion 56K Modem Ethernet

Psp
    CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
    Main Memory: 32MB
    Embedded DRAM: 4MB

N64
    CPU: MIPS R4300i, 93.75MHz, 64-bit, 24KB L1, 125 MIPS, 250 MB/sec Bus
    Graphics: SGI RCP, 62.5MHz, 100 MFLOPS, 150K Polygons/Sec, 32-bit Color, 500 MB/sec Bus
    Sound: SGI RCP, 64 2D Voices, ADPCM, 500 MB/sec Bus
    Data: 4MB (500 MB/s), Cartridge (32MB), Expansion 4MB RAM

Now okay you may wonder what this is about. I've been thinking about it for a few day's and I was wondering what makes the video game machine's out there run so well I mean like My computer isnt exactly a total speed demon but it isnt a total peice of shit but when I run say project 64(n64 emulater) When I run a game for instance perfect dark it lag's like a b****. Like I don't get it. I understand window's slows it down substantiouly but I mean Is there a way to turn a computer into basically for instance a not so portable psp only alot faster? Is it possible to like wipe out windows and have it run on a program similar to the psp os? Yeah i've been wondering about it for awhile. And yes I keep my computer kept extremely well kept with no viruses or spyware. I had a look at linux but I lack the knowledge to really run it. I know my video card is a total peice, I don't even think it has a gpu but still I mean it can't be that bad...Like i'm pretty sure if I upgraded my video card it still won't run as smooth as it does on the ps2 or whatever. Can someone point me in the right direction? Or is it flat out impossible haha Thank's alot.
    -Aaron

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Caboose's Avatar
    get a new graphics card, thats all you need to pwn up some pc games.
    it's awesome how you have all awesome specs, except for the graphics card. I'm guessing that it was a lot worse and you have upgraded since you got it.
    ps. i just remembered yesterday, at my schools "scedule changin' day," some guy saw me in my nvidia shirt and asked me why his computer didn't get faster when he installed a new graphics card.
    i loled and then told him it was a PEBKAC problem.
    god i love computer jokes...

why english class is important.
    how to get banned
    this is awesome
    thanks drizzle for the kick ass signature.

Hahaha Yeah a little while I was gonna get a nvidia geforce 6800 but I decided to wait and get something with abit more power:P haha and Im gonna end up getting a nvidia card though there my favorate brand by far. But I was wondering if you have a graffix card integrated in your motherboard does it have a gpu? Or do all graffix cards have gpus. I have a asrock p4i45gv 5.0 I belive Not the best but still thats the integrated graphic's card im running. I'm pretty sure it suck's the big one
    -Aaron

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    The main reason emulators run so slowly is because they are software emulating hardware. The way the games are written, the code interacts directly with most of the hardware on the original system. The same code running on your pc first has to be processed by the emulator and then the emulator tells your cpu which in turn tells the computer hardware what to do. Any emulator needs about 5-10 times the computation power of the original system its emulating to run smoothly, depending on what type of assymbly code the different processors run.
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

Oh gotcha haha that explains alot...Is there anyway to like run a custom os for like one thing and have it run that one thing super fast?
    -Aaron

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    the mod chip. u could possibly write a homemade os that will boot directly into the emulator and no even load up the psp dashboard. proly can milk a few mhz out of it
    R.I.P Zoidberg