Thread: how many people use dropbox? may not be for long.

1. #1 how many people use dropbox? may not be for long. 
    Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    The COICA Internet Censorship and Copyright Bill

he "Combating Online Infringements and Counterfeits Act" (COICA) is an Internet censorship bill which is rapidly making its way through the Senate. Although it is ostensibly focused on copyright infringement, an enormous amount of noninfringing content, including political and other speech, could disappear off the Web if it passes.

The main mechanism of the bill is to interfere with the Internet's domain name system (DNS), which translates names like "www.eff.org" or "www.nytimes.com" into the IP addresses that computers use to communicate. The bill creates a blacklist of censored domains; the Attorney General can ask a court to place any website on the blacklist if infringement is "central" to the purpose of the site.

If this bill passes, the list of targets could conceivably include hosting websites such as Dropbox, MediaFire and Rapidshare; MP3 blogs and mashup/remix music sites like SoundCloud, MashupTown and Hype Machine ; and sites that discuss and make the controversial political and intellectual case for piracy, like pirate-party.us, p2pnet, InfoAnarchy, Slyck and ZeroPaid . Indeed, had this bill been passed five or ten years ago, YouTube might not exist today. In other words, the collateral damage from this legislation would be enormous. (Why would all these sites be targets?)

There are already laws and procedures in place for taking down sites that violate the law. This act would allow the Attorney General to censor sites even when no court has found they have infringed copyright or any other law.
    https://www.eff.org/coica

ok so the bill passed can block freespeech for infringement on the internet, even though the shit could be in other countries? pr is this a way for "copyright owners" to compensate?

also can anyone tell me wtf is with the sudden anti-piracy outburst like this?

hell even microsoft is actually writing their own laws to sue US companys because the manufacturing in china uses a pirates microsoft product.
    Groklaw - Why Is Microsoft Seeking New State Laws That Allow it to Sue Competitors For Piracy by Overseas Suppliers?

what the hells going on?

seriusly 2012. may not be the end of the world but it could be the end of companys. maybe by a complete bankruptcy because the of the amount litigation and bills and laws passing to help them create more litigation.
    Last edited by xavis; 03-25-2011 at 08:58 PM.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    Old news, the bill was already debated and dropped.

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    when?

fillerx2=10

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    ^ Your avatar's freaking me out...
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only