Thread: Netlfix to increase by 60%/month!

1. #1 Netlfix to increase by 60%/month! 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    it's basically for anyone who uses the dvd feature in the bill...the streaming will remain the price though, from what i read:

SOURCE

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Netflix Inc will raise by 60 percent the monthly price of a plan that lets subscribers watch unlimited movies and video online and get DVDs by mail.
    Customers who want both services will pay $7.99 per month to rent one DVD at a time plus $7.99 for unlimited streaming, or a total of $15.98 per month. The previous cost of this plan was $9.99 a month.
    "We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into separate plans to better reflect the costs of each and to give our members a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan or the option to subscribe to both," Netflix Vice President of Marketing Jessie Becker wrote in a company blog post.
    "Given the long life we think DVDs by mail will have, treating DVDs as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan neither makes great financial sense nor satisfies people who just want DVDs," Becker wrote.
    Netflix announced the new prices on Tuesday. The company did not respond to a request for comment.
    Unlimited DVD-only plans will cost $7.99 for one at a time or $9.99 for two at a time.
    The changes take effect immediately for new subscribers, and in September for current customers.
    The Los Gatos, California-based company started in the United States as a mail-in DVD service. It now offers streaming video on various devices.
    [CENTER]

Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    Say, is that a Redbox?
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

...even a noob like you can click the link...

Download Suad Member PSP User
    Not too shabby for price, considering it's $7.99/month up in cananda where i am just for the streaming and the canadian selection SUCKS. Got access to a dns server that allows me to access US content and the selection is amazing compared.
    PSP - 1001 CFW 6.60 MEv1.2
    PSP - 3001 6.39 LME 9.4

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cael's Avatar
    i wonder if its also partly to do w/ alot of ISP's in the states capping and charging outrageous prices for overage like AT&T 150GB for dsl w/ 20$ fine per GB over as Uverse @ 250GB w/ 20 per 50GB over)
    PSP 1000 6.60 ME-1.3
    From SecondLife:

Even though the punishment against piracy here is now lackluster.. if your pirating Seek no help here.

Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    Consoles will also have a separate bill also. So that's $16 to watch on both console and pc. >.>

God damn it. Just when I got my 2nd moms username and pw >_< shes not gonna pay for console only, well maybe she doesss have a wii! Still. This is dumb...
    Vader PSP2000 6.60ME 1.8
    Just got back on the scene testing thing out for now.

Threads to look at.

1.) How to: Install Opera Mini on your PSP
    2.) Best OFW/CFW Internet radio

Quote Originally Posted by Xx_BrokenRoses_xX View Post
    Consoles will also have a separate bill also. So that's $16 to watch on both console and pc. >.>
    what????? i didn't see that anywhere...post that up cause that makes no sense at all to charge per device/console, you already pay more for netflix streaming if you're an Xbox user cause you need a gold membership to use it on there, 60$ more a year vs ps3 doesn't require separate charges
    [CENTER]

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    Sounds like they are doing most people a favor. If you're using the streaming, why get the DVD option? If you're only using the DVD then I bet you have no interest in streaming. If you opt for only one of the options you actually save money from their current price.That's just my opinion.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Major Zero's Avatar
    the streaming isn't bad, but they only update that shit once every 3 months... where as the dvd you can get new releases...
    Refresh for more Sigs

i use the streaming like crazy, i always have recommendations, new movies due pop up but as far as dvd's go...Redbox all the way!! i get free promo codes all the time from them, in fact today i got 1...i reserved online 2 movies and they gave me a 3rd for free, they charge a dollar yet they give away a lot!!

can't believe the big babies over this!!!

SOURCE

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Some Netflix customers called it a slap in the face. Others a betrayal. Many threatened to drop the movie service.

On Wednesday, many of them vented on Twitter, Facebook and elsewhere, seething over Netflix Inc.'s decision to raise its prices by up to 60 percent for the millions of subscribers who want to rent DVDs by mail and watch movies online.

"I can definitely afford it but I dropped them on principle," said Joe Turick, a technology engineer in Monroe, N.C., who has been with Netflix for about a decade, cancelled his subscription within an hour of learning of Tuesday's price changes and plans to try competitors.

By Wednesday afternoon, more than 40,000 people had responded to a post on Netflix's Facebook page announcing the change, with some saying they would switch to rivals such as Hulu.com's paid service and to Redbox's DVD-rental kiosks.

Outrage bubbled on Twitter, and on Netflix's blog a posting about the new plans had garnered 5,000 comments -- the limit allowed by the site's host, Google Inc.-owned Blogger -- which included many seething customers.

Netflix said company executives expected the intense reaction.

"Everything Netflix does is with extensive research and testing and analysis, so we expected some people to be disappointed," spokesman Steve Swasey said.

While thousands complained on Facebook, Twitter and other websites, with 22.8 million customers in the U.S., it's clear that plenty of them are not upset about the change.

In online postings, a number of users concluded that, even at the higher price, Netflix is still a better deal than competitors.

On Tuesday, the company said it was splitting up its two services, which means that subscribers who want both streaming video and DVD-by-mail access will have to get separate plans that cost at least $16 per month total.

Netflix had been offering both services as a single package that was available for as little as $10 per month. The price changes took effect immediately for new subscribers, and will begin Sept. 1 for current Netflix customers.

With the new rates, Netflix isn't changing the $8 monthly price for an Internet streaming-only option.

However, instead of charging $2 more for a plan that also offers one DVD at a time by mail, the company will charge $8 for a comparable DVD-only plan. That brings the total to $16 for customers who want both services.

Customers who want to rent up to two DVDs at a time with streaming will pay $20 per month, or 33 percent more. Those wanting three DVDs at a time with streaming will pay $24 per month, or 20 percent more.

While the changes will help Netflix bring in more money to cover rising costs it faces to cover buying and shipping discs while licensing more content for its streaming library, they also put off a number of subscribers -- at least in the short term.

Turick, the technology engineer, was paying $10 a month to have unlimited streaming and a single disc out at a time, and with the new plans he would be on the hook for $16 per month.

The change felt "like a slap in the face," he said, adding that he'll try renting movies from Redbox kiosks, ordering on-demand videos through his cable TV provider or using his Blu-ray player to stream videos from the Web.

Zach Olsen, who is vice president of a public relations firm in San Francisco and has used Netflix for about five years, canceled his subscription on Tuesday after receiving an email from the company announcing the price hike.

"I was fired up. And I wanted to put my electronic foot down," Olsen said.

Doug Baker, a software developer in Fort Collins, Colo., who has used Netflix since 2000, isn't cutting it off completely, but he is downsizing to a cheaper plan.

Since his bill for unlimited streaming and four DVDs out at a time would rise to $30 in September, he's opting instead to pay $16 for one DVD at a time and unlimited video streaming.

Baker thinks the company should have offered a smaller price increase to long-time subscribers, saying, "it would have been nice if they showed some appreciation" to them.

"It makes you wonder if they really want to serve their customers or just their stock holders," Baker said.

Swasey, the Netflix spokesman, would not comment about how many subscribers have actually cancelled their Netflix subscriptions, saying the company will discuss subscriber metrics during its quarterly earnings conference call on July 25.

Chris Caggiano, a professor at The Boston Conservatory, isn't planning to change his Netflix plan either, even though he'll pay $20 in September -- up from $15 currently -- to have unlimited streaming and two DVDs out at a time.

"Prices go up. I don't see the big deal. There's this huge hue and cry -- it's like the end of the world," he said.

And Netflix, Caggiano pointed out, is a for-profit business.

"This is not a public service," he said. "And, as many people are deciding to do, you can go elsewhere."

again, redbox is a damn dollar!!! look at it from Netflix's point of view...how much is postage???? ok, think about that...now only a 2$ charge for dvd's (unlimited amount in a month) plus they ship it to you and give a postage paid return envelope...seriously, they are losing a ton of money on that and i can see that becoming necessary to change to actually profit. you cancelled your cable or whatever to save money and use netflix, well how many others are doing that same thing in this economy???? Netflix is losing money like that...don't like it, stream and go elsewhere for dvd's...i never used the dvd service so for me, this isn't anything to me
    Last edited by goku2778; 07-14-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    [CENTER]

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    I gotta agree with you, while they may only update streaming once every 3 months, I'm sure as it gets more popular it will grow more current, and honestly speaking, Redboxes are spreading faster than communicable diseases. You can find them pretty much any where. Add a $1 rental fee that you can go and get right away, as opposed to waiting for it in the mail and I'm sure you'll find that's better for people anyway.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

There is 1 redbox to every 100 miles here in NH. I have the only one near me in my own town haha. I dont care either way... I dont pay for my netfix but I know that the person who does DOES get dvd and stream and they will not like this.
    Vader PSP2000 6.60ME 1.8
    Just got back on the scene testing thing out for now.

Threads to look at.

1.) How to: Install Opera Mini on your PSP
    2.) Best OFW/CFW Internet radio

Spambuster Bitch PSP Elite Hacker dankgame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ^OX[ ] View Post
    There is 1 redbox to every 100 miles here in NH. I have the only one near me in my own town haha. I dont care either way... I dont pay for my netfix but I know that the person who does DOES get dvd and stream and they will not like this.
    this^^^^^^^^^^ and if you want another game goku im almost done with duke nukem since you pay for my netfilxs lmao
    new members and old read thisvvvvvvvv
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/introdu...uncements.html

Quote Originally Posted by dankgame View Post
    this^^^^^^^^^^ and if you want another game goku im almost done with duke nukem since you pay for my netfilxs lmao
    lol sounds good to me brother!!!

edit @ GEEK...i'm actually getting hooked on the redbox lol for set reasons:

1st time i used it, i got an email to register online...got a free rental
    registered my phone for text alerts...July 4 i got a promo code for a free rental for that day only
    got that alert yesterday...reserved 2 online, got a 3rd free
    just went and reserved another 1 online...had a credit for making that reservation for 1 more free dvd lol

so far, i'm like 50/50...for what i payed to rent, they basically gave me the same back in free promo's lol best 1$ menu i ever encountered!!! lmao
    Last edited by goku2778; 07-15-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    [CENTER]