Thread: Netflix Streaming on Your Console? You Now Have to Pay Separately

1. #1 Netflix Streaming on Your Console? You Now Have to Pay Separately 
    Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    I posted this for goku who asked.

Netflix goes together with video game consoles like a sweet layer of icing in the middle of a cake. Sure there's different icing on top, and it's not really necessary, but that extra little treat makes everything all the more delicious. Mmmm... cake...

But let's not get too sidetracked here with all this talk about cake. It's a lie anyway. The real matter at hand is that you're now going to have to pay for having your cake and then pay to eat it too.

Netflix is separating instant streaming from their in-mail Blu-ray/DVD options. Streaming will now cost $7.99. If you still want to have the option for DVDs and Blu-rays, you're going to have to spring for a second package, which starts at about $7.99. If you want both, you have to pay for each separately.

Granted, there was an option for instant streaming-only before for $7.99, but I don't see many people paying for that when you could get DVDs too for around the same price.

What does this mean for gamers? It means that anyone that already had a Netflix package and were able to stream content to their consoles for free, can't anymore. At least not for free. I know that I only used the console streaming because I already had Netflix, but now that I've had the streaming for a while, I don't want to lose it. Then again, I don't want to pay for it, either.

In a way, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. After all, Netflix streaming to consoles accounts for 20% of all internet traffic - that's a lot of bandwidth.

Here's the email that Netflix is sending existing customers:

Dear Pissed Off Consumer, [Okay, we altered the name a bit.]

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
    Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don’t need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

–The Netflix Team
    Source

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    hmmmm...ummm...yeah it says nothing for charging per console, so i really don't get it lol

this is what i see/saw and still see:

my plan is 7.99/month right now...i don't want/need/require/desire the dvd's in the mail, i use redbox and absolutely love it and its services and its free promo's i get from them. as i posted in my original thread, i even got 2 more yesterday, 1 was free and my copy of Harry Potter 7 part 1 was so scratched up, it wouldn't play, guess, what...i got 2 free promo's for it, got a new copy today and new dvd rental for 0$

so i still "see" my package staying as is with nothing else being assessed to my current membership plan of 7.99 for streaming only...as far as this post states^^^^^ i can see exactly their points:

bandwidth...postage paid envelopes from them for "your" conveniences, they were eating a lot and i actually agree with their decisions and for me it's absolutely nothing different for me at all

also, my god if they actually charged per console...they just recently added the limits of devices from 6 only to 50!!! i asked about this 3 weeks ago when my sis showed someone at work netflix, played a movie and told me. i checked my account cause i had 6 devices activated and was afraid she booted 1 off, i had 7 so i called and found out that information and their reason was because computers change ip's at random times and it was a courtesy to users not losing an activated device from such a thing.

also i saw in this post they said Sept...ummm, i went to netflix yesterday and looked up a movie and it was dvd only and it showed "add dvd's for 7.99" so that statement about when it's starting is bullshit...lol

EDIT

ok...unlike bloggers, facebookers, twitters...i called netflix just now and i am 100% correct!! there is no additional fees of any kind for using your consoles!!! it's as it was, will stay and stand at 7.99/month for unlimited streaming on all your devices, gaming consoles, etc. the only console that costs more than any other is of course the xbox lmao...cause you must have a gold live membership to even just use netflix, so if you're an xbox user (i am too) "we" are/have been and most likely will always be paying 60$ more/year than any other gaming console netflix streamer lol
    Last edited by goku2778; 07-16-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    [CENTER]

double posting on purpose:

saw this on msn homepage of mine...

Live Poll
    Will you cancel your Netflix subscription?

YES. This goes too far. Redbox, here I come!
    58%
    YES. I've been thinking about it for awhile now, but this puts me over the fence. No plans to go anywhere else to sub in for DVDs. Streaming is the way to go.
    22%
    NO. I've cooled down and figured it's not that much more. I'll eat the cost and keep my plan.
    4%
    NO. This wasn't a big deal to me at all. I don't know what all the hubbub is about.
    8% THIS IS WHERE MY VOTE WENT TO
    NEVER had a Netflix subscription.
    9%
    Total Votes: 84039

SOURCE
    [CENTER]

Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    I don't even use Netflix I watch movies on websites.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Sven's Avatar
    Will PSV have Netflix?

Cause its on 3ds.

☭Коммунизм для нашего будущего!☭

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    i dont think the portables should have it. it actually is nice, but its better to watch movies on a fucking big ass tv.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

^^^^^^hell yeah
    [CENTER]

Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    the vita would be good. but the 3ds? come on. tiny screen is pos for movies
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

...even a noob like you can click the link...

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    Its good to have portable streaming, although seeing as a I have a home server with more videos that I like than netflix will ever have, it renders it a little pointless.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    tso, the vita has a small screen too. its just very little bigger then 3ds.

also the sites fucking up.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |