6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 66.67%
  • No.

2 33.33%

Thread: Philosophical question.

1. #1 Philosophical question. 
    Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    Ok. Imagine you could turn back the clock and make yourself 6 years old again, the start of school for most. Here's the twist. You could take along everything you've experienced so far in life and all of the life lessons that that you've learned as a result of those events back with you. Your memory of specific events (death in the family/career path/etc.) would NOT come with you, ONLY the experience and knowledge gained from them in a general sense. This means no winning lotto numbers for example. You would then progress normally through your life starting at age 6. Yes, you would have to go through school/college/etc. all over again and would be able to make choices based on things you have learned and experienced previously.

You would not start at age 6 in the current time, time would be reversed back to the year in which you were 6 years old. You could bring no tangible object with you other than yourself because that would violate the laws of physics (time travel itself does not*) and create time travel paradoxes. That means no PS3 in 1991, sorry.

(*Remember, time and our perception of it's passing is only an abstract concept that we have created in order to chart our lives and create order of it all. Time doesn't exist in a real sense in the way that physical objects do for example (The last sentence is sort of a loaded statement in itself if you're familiar with subatomic structures on a basic level). All ways of measuring the passage of time have been invented by humans.)

Does that make sense? Ask questions before you answer if you don't quite grasp this.

For me? I would do it. I don't specifically regret any choices I've made in my life so far and I'm content with where I am but with (sort of) the mind of an adult, I could make more well-informed choices and put myself in an even better position for the future, despite the fact that I would have to live 19 years all over again. I'm not afraid of death, but adding 19 years (for me anyway) to the total of your life would be a bonus side effect of this.

Super Moderator PSP Elite Hacker faustnero's Avatar
    well, just an opinion. why do it again if you already have all you need. Like you've said, all you can take back with you are the experiences and lessons you've learned from the circumstances that life gave you, and you are happy in the state where you're at right now. so why roll it all the way back just so you could put yourself at a higher standard in a society, and make the right choices just so, let's just say, you wanted to be someone you've never been, or try something you've never tried doing before. No offense sir and wit all due respect, but, the way i see it, is in a way a child playing a game in his/her console, making the best pick out of 1000 choices, but instead of carrying onward, he/she saves his/her game right before he/she makes a pick, and loads the save file over and over until s/he gets what s/he wanted. No hard-feelings but, it's very individualistic idea, i don't really think making yourself a 50foot monument at the center of downtown just to show people who you are, and what you can do for them, can really affect how they progress through life, i think what you made them feel and showing them who you really are is. knowledge will never be fed, it is gained. and an unexamined life, is not worth living.

I thought about this for awhile. You've summed it up quite well in that you say it's like saving a game before something important happens. In Fallout 3/New Vegas, this is a legitimate strategy and isn't always used to put yourself in a better position. Often it's used to just experience different branches of the same main storyline. You only have one playthrough and when you're done with the game, that's it. But you get to experience the "If I did X, then X would happen instead" factor. I wouldn't change anything and I'd probably want to revert back to my original save. I just want to know what happens.

Senior Asshole PSP Elite Hacker cowboycalstar's Avatar
    faust just described playing Fallout and Baldur's Gate and pretty much any BioWare game.

Super Moderator PSP Elite Hacker faustnero's Avatar
    oh yes,i totally get you, i too have the game, but i've never done that strategy ever, but yet, i have 7 different save files in where one was a BhOS member, WGS member, Khan, NCR, Legion, PowGangers, and etc. something in your post just clotted something in my gut that made me think about it over and over. i mean, everything is possible, and every other possibility is possible after the other one so yeah. xD it's a great poll.

L
    Great question Slow,...................I probably would not do it again because of the fact that my family (Wifey and kids) are the world to me and I wouldnt want to risk anything changing that. I have made quite a few bad choices in life and the way I see it, its got me to where I'm at now, so some suffering was worth it.

EDIT: You are sage beyond your years Ryan. Having you in this world helps me believe that there is a bright future for us
    Last edited by El Guapo; 08-11-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    well if you go back in time, the only thing you take is a few knowledge, everything remains the same, how you're raised, location, bleh bleh, then theoretically(from the way i figure it) everything would pass the same. the same events, the people you meet (your wife, guapo). there may be a few things though, some dumb choices on little things, but usually those have very little influence on the course of time. the major stuff still would happen. esp if you go back with out any memory.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

I see what you're saying xavis, but going back with limited memory would allow you the foresight to make decisions differently and a lot of small changes over a certain amount of years would amount to a major change by the time you reached the age in which you originally went back.

I would think anyway...

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    it really depends on what these "small" things are to be changed. most of the small things may have no influence at all, depending on how your life was lived the first time.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |