Thread: best C++ compiler?

1. #1 best C++ compiler? 
    H3X
    Member PSP User
    what is the best free C++ compiler?

can you give me a link to it?

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker spikyhunter3's Avatar
    go here thats the best place to get it in the whole world!

Drizzle's awesome work!
    Raiden: Still ticking, huh?
    Vamp: Unfortunately, Hell had no vacancies

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    are you asking for windows? all linux distros come with gcc, and xcode for mac is free, but for windows, I would go with borland's C++ builder. just go here, click on compiler, and register for an account and it's a free download. I use visual studio 2005, but I dled it, even though I could've gotten it free from the school through msdn, lol. But if you're a beginning programmer, I wouldn't pick C++ as a first language, I would go with Basic, but if you insist on jumping the gun, I would go with java first, being that the entire sdk is free and open source, there's plenty of free development environments like netbeans and gel, and the syntax is strikingly similar to C++, so it would be easier to migrate over to C++ once you got the hang of java, then you'd know 2 popular languages instead of just one.

H3X
    Member PSP User
    ok, thanks... Ivealso considered C, because C++ is like the advanced version.

eh, not really advanced, it just has a lot more features to make a programmers life easier (namely object oriented programming support).

I would Visual Studio .Net
    PLAY HARD & PLAY OFTEN

I like 2005 way better than .NET, I always thought .NET was a pain in the ass. and he's askin for free compilers, and visual studio can cost anywhere from $500 to $1000 and more, unless you're condoning piracy ...lol

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    .NET is more complex then VS2005. We use .NET 1.1 at work but after our next release we are moving to .Net 2.0. In school, I first started using Borland (its great for a free compiler). Then moved on to Visual Studios. I finished school before the release of .NET so I had to pick that up through work.

There are really 2 parts to learning programming, learning syntax/symantics and learning compiling/linking. Compiling and linking both have to do with the compiler and enviroment you are working on. Syntax and symantics both have to do with the language itself, regardless of the platform or compiler.
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

where do you work drizzle? and I actually have both on my comp, because I like 2005 better than .NET for most things, but the xdk only supports .NET. I also have kubuntu for compiling psp stuff, and OS X with xcode 2.4 for mac stuff, so I got most the bases covered, lol.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cloud Strife's Avatar
    hehe i dont work best thing too

Click the image above to play this fun fun game! and remember to put the referal number 6506 and the promo code 6506!

I work for a medical software company. We make an emergency department information system (EDIS). Basically we do everything... patient registration, charting, orders, tracking, discharge instruction, perscription writing, billing, etc. My title is "Requirements Developer" and I work within the product management group. Primarily I program product demos (GUI's will limited backends to demonstrate future functionality) and administration tools (things to help manage the data in the databases). I also write and review specifications and requirements.
    Before you post please

sweet, yeah, it's always been my dream to work for a game developer, but I'll prolly just end up doin general software type stuff, I applied for a summer internship/fellowship/whatever the hell you want to call it, at microsoft last year, and one of their reps called me for an interview, but then she realized I was a freshman and she said they don't take freshman, but she said they really liked my resume/transcripts, and that I should apply again this year, so I'm putting in another app in january, it would be so freakin awesome if I got accepted, but I'm applying for one at adobe too, so we'll see how it turns out.

Thats cool N8. My girlfriend did the intern thing while in collage and I worked my way through collage waiting tables. She makes more money then I do now so I would recommend the intern route, lol. Game programming is actually one of the lowest paying and most demmanding programming fields. I have a friend working for id software (the guys who make doom, quake, and wolfenstien), a freind working for westwood (command and conquer, etc), and a friend with Barking Lizards (X-Men Legends and alot of cheesy cell phone games). Keep at it, programming is a lot of fun. I love it.
    Before you post please

yeah, a guy I used to work with had a buddy that was a game programmer (I'm drawing a blank on which game it was, but I checked the credits to make sure he wasn't full of crap, lol), and he said toward the final stages before it's release, he was working 12-15 hour days for over a month straight, lol, that's what kinda made me lean more toward software than games. I was thinking about maybe doing something more indirectly related to the games themselves, like maybe working for ms in the xbox department or something like that, but I guess I'll cross that road when I get there, lol. and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be making more money than my gf, because she's an english major/journalism minor and wants to be an editor, unless she decides to write a best seller or something, which would be freakin awesome, lol.