Thread: I'd like to boot Windows and Mac on my mac

1. #1 I'd like to boot Windows and Mac on my mac 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker PSPBETTERTHANDS's Avatar
    I'd like to get Windows and Mac on my macintosh... I only have one extra hard drive for one of my comps (the portable hdd that i got for my b-day) and there are two macs that my dad is giving up to us, his kids. So... what software would i need to be able to boot OS 9.2 or maybe OS X and Win 98 both on the same comp? a tut would be nice also... thanks
    Hope you had a nice XMas! Help me modding my original Xbox. See my thread in Anything Goes Here forum

I don't think you can I have tried to do it myself. Searched high and low and found nothing. You need an intel mac and then you can do the xp and mac os thing. Other than that I got nothing else. Although, I am not too sure it wouldn't mess up your system if you tried it.
    Im a girl gamer....

What are you doing to make things better?

Owner of a Lonely Heart.....

...well i think i heard something about Linux being able to do it? What would be stopping it from happening if the OS X isnt there to stop it?
    Hope you had a nice XMas! Help me modding my original Xbox. See my thread in Anything Goes Here forum

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker demondude777's Avatar
    Intel macs are the way to go. I have one and I am running boot camp on it. It is a little bit of a hassle because I have to reboot to switch back and forth. There is another version out now that lets you swap between the two without rebooting...but I don't know th name. Any other mac version I am pretty sure you can't do it...at least not easily.

June 2005 - PSP homebrewed
    August 2006 - DS homebrewed

Embrace diversity.....play both handhelds the way they weren't meant to be played!

Quote Originally Posted by demondude777
    I am now your love cleric.

well, i can't afford another mac... thats why my dad is giving us his old macs (which are still pretty good cause he needs them for commercial making) instead of buying new ones. I'd like to know what i need to do to get these macs to run windows and macintosh OS. I guess if there is no way to, i guess i could get an install of windows from n8 and throw it on my Vosonic VP3320 X's Drive cause it uses a real hard drive and is basically a portable/external hard drive with navigation and slots for cards. So if i did that i could get its bios to start off loading the USB port for a Windows OS and then the C drive, its internal hard drive, the booting drive when i'd like to run Macintosh. it'd be a little bit of a hassle but i can certainly handle it. Plus, whenever it's in windows i could just get it to hibernate so that we wouldn't have to go through the bios and switch it around.... yeah that sounds good to me. N8! lol

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    lol, did someone summon me? actually, you're not going to be able to run windows on a ppc mac (non-intel), not even from an external drive. The assembly code used on the x86 platform is different from that used by the ppc processor, and, unless you can get microsoft to give you the source code to port it and compile it on a ppc machine using gcc, then you'll never be able to get it running on a ppc machine. sorry man. What you can do though is dual-boot linux and os x using grub. Most linux distros have 3 different versions, x86, x86 64, and ppc. Just install os x with a partition about half the size of the drive, then install your linux distro (make sure you get the ppc version, I recommend kubuntu for linux noobs), and setup grub to include os x as a choice on your boot prompt. I did it on one of my friends ibooks (although he like gnome better than kde, so I just used regular ubuntu), and it worked great, even installed cedega so he could play windows games...on a mac... you heard me right...lol, this is all assuming your machine can run os x, if not, you could still dual boot os 9 and your linux distro.

EDIT: ok, let me rephrase that, you can't run windows on a powerpc based machine natively, you can however, use virtualpc to run it emulated from inside os x, although it would undoubtedly be much slower than running natively with notably less performance in memory intensive applications, you can do it, it's just a question of why you would want to.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker demondude777's Avatar
    If he is running virtual pc then what will he really do with it....good luck running games that have come out in the 21st century.

June 2005 - PSP homebrewed
    August 2006 - DS homebrewed

Embrace diversity.....play both handhelds the way they weren't meant to be played!

Quote Originally Posted by demondude777
    I am now your love cleric.

lol, yeah, that's what I was saying, although he could run some games decently if he installed linux with cedega, depending on the specs of the computer. They got most games running under it, including hl2. Doom 3 even has a natively running port, and wine can run most windows apps, so that would be the best route.

I hear that if you run VPC on a 1.8 GHz iMac G5 it makes the comp seem like a Pentium 2 running XP. I plan on playing PC Games like UT 04. I understand that most games will not run too nicely on the mac, but still UT 04 is one of the only PC games that i own and it is pretty light on the comp. So about that Linux grub thing. You're saying that i'd just keep the OS 9 that is on there right now, install grub, from grub i install the linux distro called kubuntu, and then from inside of kubuntu install windows 98 onto the hard drive and after all that i'd be able to start up the computer, go launch grub, from there start up linux, and then once i'm inside of kubuntu i can start up windows 98? confusing but i can handle it. I'll need your help n8...

nah man, I was just saying you could do that and use kubuntu, the ONLY way you're going to be able to run windows on that machine is in vpc, and for that, you don't need linux or grub. grub is just a bootloader that comes with linux, and allows you to select which OS you want to boot at startup. and if you want to install linux without reinstalling os 9, you'll have to shrink the partition. and if I'm not mistaken, I think there's a ut2k4 port for mac os...

EDIT: there's a mac os version of it you gotta "obtain", or otherwise install linux and cedega to run it...

ummm, if i can run linux with no problem on a mac, wtf is stopping me from installing linux and then running a port of windows like this program called "Q" ? well, whatever. I guess i'll just get the UT 04 port. Anyways, there is this seemingly really cool site (http://www.oszoo.org ) it offers downloads and help with pre-configured and free operating systems at no cost. Dont worry mods, it isnt piracy. But anyways, could i run OSX on this AMD Athlon 2800+ (2.08 GHz) comp? That'd be pretty cool. I'm also thinking i'll install Kubuntu on this AMD PC just for the hell of it. It looks pretty cool and if i don't like it i think i could just use grub to run my Windows again. Am i right about that? and if i install grub and then linux, what would my computer do in reaction to it? BTW, the Kubuntu i'm talking about is "Kubuntu breezy 20051026.tar" from the oszoo thing and it looks pretty cool. And would the grub thing be needed to be installed after i install kubuntu or before it or at all?

grub should automatically be installed when you install kubuntu. and yeah, you can run os x on a pc, I run vista and os x on my 1.6ghz celeron laptop, and both run better than xp did. I'll pm you the link to the torrent for osx86, being that it's not kosher...