Thread: Alloy of Hydrogen and Oxygen Made From Water

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Alloy of Hydrogen and Oxygen Made From Water 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Autopsy's Avatar
    Alloy of Hydrogen and Oxygen Made From Water

- ShoutWire.
    Nov, 18th 2006

Washington, D.C. ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬ ¡Ã‚¬Ã…“ Water, the only indispensable ingredient of life, is just about the most versatile stuff on Earth. Depending on its temperature we can heat our homes with it, bathe in it, and even strap on skates and glide across it, to name only the most common of its many forms. When subjected to high pressures, however, water can take any of more than 15 different forms.

Researchers have now used x-rays to dissociate water at high pressure to form a solid mixture⠃ƒ¢â€š ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â ‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬?an alloyÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠬šÂ¬?of molecular oxygen and molecular hydrogen. The work, by a multi-institutional team* that includes Russell Hemley and Ho-kwang Mao of Carnegieâ â‚ 䉉 ‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s Geophysical Laboratory, appears in the October 27 issue of Science.

The researchers subjected a sample of water to extremely high pressuresÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢à €šÂ¬?about 170,000 times the pressure at sea level (17 Gigapascals)à¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å ¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â ‚¬?using a diamond anvil, and zapped it with high-energy x-rays. Under these conditions, nearly all the water molecules split apart and re-formed into a solid alloy of O2 and H2. X-radiation proved to be the key to cleaving the O-H bonds in water; without it, the water remained in a high-pressure form of ice known as ice VIIâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â₠¬Å¡Ã‚¬?one of at least 15 such variants of ice that exist under high pressure and variable temperature conditions.

ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“We managed to hit on just the right level of x-ray energy input,âà ƒÆ’¢â€šà ƒâ€šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€š? explained Hemley. ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“Any higher, and the radiation tends to pass right through the sample. Any lower, and the radiation is largely absorbed by the diamonds in our pressure apparatus.à¢ÃƒÆ’¢â€Š¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€š?

This rather narrow range of energy requirement explains why, in hundreds of previous high-pressure x-ray experiments, the breakdown reaction had gone undiscovered: most such experiments tend to use more energetic x-rays. The experiments also required long, multiple-hour irradiation with x-rays; such long exposures had not been attempted before.

The researchers put the alloy through its paces, subjecting it to a range of pressure, temperature, and bombardment with x-ray and laser radiation. As long as the sample remained under pressure equivalent to about 10,000 times atmospheric pressure at sea level (1 Gigapascal), it stood up to this punishment. Although the substance is clearly a crystalline solid, more experiments are needed to determine its precise crystal structure.

ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“The new radiation chemistry at high pressure was surprising,à¢ÃƒÆ’¢â€Å ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€š? said lead author Wendy Mao of Los Alamos National Laboratory. ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“The new alloy containing the incompatible oxygen and hydrogen molecules will be a highly energetic material.àâ ¬Â?

This work was supported by the National Science Foundation, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of Defense, the W.M. Keck Foundation, the State of Illinois, and by the National Synchrotron Radiation Research Center (NSRRC) and the National Science Council (NSC) of Taiwan.

The Carnegie Institution of Washington (www.carnegieinstitution.org), a private nonprofit organization, has been a pioneering force in basic scientific research since 1902. It has six research departments: the Geophysical Laboratory and the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, both located in Washington, D.C.; The Observatories, in Pasadena, California, and Chile; the Department of Plant Biology and the Department of Global Ecology, in Stanford, California; and the Department of Embryology, in Baltimore, Maryland.

Custom Firmware 5.00 m33-4 [hardmod 2GB pandora battery]
    Firmware 1.50 - Japanese - Mint Condish -Stolen
    Uncover The Truth

-Alien Autopsy

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    huh, intriguing, I wonder what it'll be useful for...

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker crimsn's Avatar
    hey Autopsy when did you start posting again? I thought you were shamed outta here j/k.
    tnx drizz

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Virus_Nyne's Avatar
    “The new alloy containing the incompatible oxygen and hydrogen molecules will be a highly energetic material."

A new alloy, an also highly energetic material. High amounts of energy and high amounts of heat. Probably non-magnetic. Possibly not malleable.

I really don't know where I'm going with this, but I liked the post.
    Hardass Extraordinaire - Mad And Nocturnal

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Darkthunder90's Avatar
    Autospy says the darndest things!

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Arby_3000's Avatar
    Any real uses?

It has to be under 1000 sea levels to have any strength =\
    <<*I AM CANADIAN*>>

i suck at science..water is 2hydogen and 1 oxygen thats all i know, but this sounds good.

this guy got 100posts in like 2days, then stoped coming here?

Quote Originally Posted by chinese people
    i suck at science..water is 2hydogen and 1 oxygen thats all i know, but this sounds good.

this guy got 100posts in like 2days, then stoped coming here?
    You shouldn't be talking, you unsurprisingly have over 2,000 posts. What has the world turn into?

No hay banda

who are you? youve been here for like 1 day? i know about 1700 of my posts are uesless but who cares? you got 5.

and i dont know how i shouldnt be talking because that wasnt sarcasm or anything it was true..you wouldnt know because you werent here.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Arby_3000's Avatar
    who are you? youve been here for like 1 days? i know about 1700 of my posts are uesless but who cares? you got 5.

and i dont know how i shouldnt be talking because that wasnt sarcasm or anythign it was true..you wouldnt know because you werent here.
    Lol Pwn... =\

Damn newbies... >_>
    <<*I AM CANADIAN*>>

i know about 1700 of my posts are uesless but who cares? you got 5.
    Exactly. You just prove my point. About over half of your posts are spam. Plus, why do you compare posts with others when all of yours is completely useless? Please educate me. I live in a world with a complete imbeciles. God help me.

No hay banda

Quote Originally Posted by Radier Gummi
    Exactly. You just prove my point. About over half of your posts are spam. Plus, why do you compare posts with others when all of yours is completely useless? Please educate me. I live in a world with a complete imbeciles. God help me.
    lets just take a gander here...you have been a member for a total of one day and you are already disliked because you think your king shit and say that he has useless posts? Wow, your off to a good start here bud, good job!

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Hockeyman's Avatar
    geez I know ive only been here for a week or so but its called respect man. Respect your superiors, equals, an inferiors thats what Ido. Everyone deserves respect.
    2% of the people on the internet have a sig that bashes 98% of the people on the internet. If you are in the 98% whoaren't bastard F***'s with a superiority complex, copy and paste this into your sig.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    its a social forum for people who enjoy the art of psp modification. people have a tendency of racking up alot of posts just in the ATGs section since it rarely pertains to the psp. how is that spam? its people having debates and voicing their opinions. but hey, no ones making u stay here if u dont like it.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1231
    lets just take a gander here...you have been a member for a total of one day and you are already disliked because you think your king shit and say that he has useless posts? Wow, your off to a good start here bud, good job!
    If you have read earlier, he specifically said that he posted useless posts. Makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman
    Everyone deserves respect.
    Please tell me more. If everybody deserves respect, where's mine? Hopefully your children don't take your own advice.

No hay banda

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast