Thread: Assembling a PS3 from parts

1. #1 Assembling a PS3 from parts 
    Junior Member PSP User
    Posting after a really long long time here and this time looking for help with a PS3.

Right so anyways in India, I can't afford a new PS3 especially since I already need to purchase a new graphic for PC. But whats worse is that the used market is just as expensive, so after a lot of consideration I am considering buying the core parts of a PS3 (from the US) and assembling it on an acrylic sheet to have an ugly yet fully functional PS3.

So far as I've seen these are the major parts:

1. Motherboard + Logic Board : Unsure.

So far as I can see several working Slim and Phat boards on ebay going for 70$ ~ 80$. Most don't have matching logic boards and some do. Can I get working boards cheaper? Furthermore does a single logic board match the motherboard ... or can I get a motherboard seperately and then find the logic board that goes with it?

Hows this for starters: Working Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 Slim 3001 Motherboard Never Tempered With | eBay

2. Bluray drive : Absolutely Confused.
    There doesn't seem to be concrete information on the net on which bluray drive matches with which motherboard. And there seem to be a lot of variations on the types of drives - single laser, multi laser, etc. For example, If I chose the motherboard in the link above, which bluray drive would go with it? HELP!

3. HDD : CHECK
    Got a 40GB Laptop HDD from a friend. So thats sorted.

4. PSU : Unsure.
    Confused again. Again how many types of PSUs are there? Assuming I take a Slim motherboard (like above) which PSU should I need? Couldn't find much info about this on the net

5. Dual Axis: CHECK.
    My friends got a spare one of these and I also have a Logitech Dual Action so no problemo on this front.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting. My target price is under 125$... is that even possible? Does anyone have any good suggestions, keeping it cheap?

EDIT:
    TLDR: The idea is to assemble multiple working parts and have a usable PS3. 2 parts are good, 3 parts I'm not sure about and need info. All parts are being imported from the US to India. Focus on low cost. Thanks.

Also, I'm NOT open to buying YLOD PS3s or any PS3 which needs to be fixed. I'm already going to have to pay customs and shipping costs to import something so I don't want to risk importing a PS3 thats already screwed up only to find that its absolutely irreparable. As it is YLOD repair isn't cheap here in India and I'm soooo not trying the microwave trick.
    Last edited by RD274; 10-26-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Majorix's Avatar
    Dude I seriously think it is NOT going to work.

Junior Member PSP User
    Why not? Could you please elaborate? The way I see it, all I need are matching parts.

Just found some gold on the bluray drives: PS3 Slim Blu Ray Drive KES-450AAA 120GB - PS3 Laser Devices - PSXBOY.COM -wholesale and retail welcome

So apparently there is just one single drive for the Slim models. So if I grab the motherboard+logic board that I posted above, all I need is a KES450AAA drive. Unfortunately all of these drives are in the 60$ range :|
    Last edited by RD274; 10-26-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Majorix's Avatar
    What about the CPU? The GPU? The "glue" that holds it all together? What about the operating system? What about the software? What about connection between all these pieces? What about controller ports? What about controllers? What about... the list goes on. I would just buy it used but not faulty.

Modder Of The Dark Arts PSP Elite Hacker R()H@X's Avatar
    ylods can be fixed yourself if your going thru all that trouble.all a ylod is is the thermal paste melted off the ps3 so the connections looose.you get some good thermal paste resolder the wires and put new paste on it your good to go.if you want to try to make a ps3 out of scratch tho good luck

Junior Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
    What about the CPU? The GPU? The "glue" that holds it all together? What about the operating system? What about the software? What about connection between all these pieces? What about controller ports? What about controllers? What about... the list goes on. I would just buy it used but not faulty.
    No I'm not going that much into detail. Check the link I posted up in my first post, you can get fully working motherboards which include the CPU, GPU, HDMI Chip, Ethernet Chip, etc all completely set on board with a HSF. The operating software is already flashed on these motherboards, the moment I setup a HDD the OS would be setup on the HDD too.

So basically the motherboard+logic board pretty much has the whole shebang already. How much do used PS3s come for? From what i see on ebay they're currently at 200$+.

Quote Originally Posted by R()H@X View Post
    ylods can be fixed yourself if your going thru all that trouble.all a ylod is is the thermal paste melted off the ps3 so the connections looose.you get some good thermal paste resolder the wires and put new paste on it your good to go.if you want to try to make a ps3 out of scratch tho good luck
    Hmm thats it? I believed that YLODs generally get fixed by having the motherboard reballed or something. Is it as simple as changing the thermal paste and resoldering the wires? I already have MX2.

-x-x-x-x-

Been googling for a bit and found something interesting stuff on powering PS3s from ATX PSU that usually power PCS. If thats so then thats one less part required as I have a spare PSU here. Also, I noticed that while the Slim PSUs cost 40$+, the ancient (and power hungry) Fat ones cost less than 20$. Could it be possible to run a PS3 Slim with a cheaper Fat power supplier?

Modder Of The Dark Arts PSP Elite Hacker R()H@X's Avatar
    ylods occur when the ps3 overheats in 1 out of 10 old ps3s.they didnt use enough thermal paste so it becomes unhinged.thats why the heat method works cause it resolders and reseals the paste thats there but thats a temp fix.to get a full hold it needs new paste.ive fixed a few of these useing a hairdryer.unfortunately i dont solder so i never replaced the paste,but it will help