Thread: Should you go Digital or Retail with the Ps Vita?

1. #1 Should you go Digital or Retail with the Ps Vita? 
    Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    Intro:
    Wondering if you should go Retail or Digital with the Ps Vita Release? I'm creating this talk-talk for those wanting to know if they should go Digital or Retail. There's pros and cons for each so I would need to talk about each one. For a while now I have been play both retail and digital on my Vita and decided to share my knowledge with everyone else.
    Now that we got the somewhat intro out of the way onto the important stuff you came here to read about.

In my experience thus far with the Ps Vita I prefer both digital and retail. Now don't go saying that makes this whole story worthless; your read why. Over the time I noted the game prices, loadings, and everything else that uses the Memory stick and Card to load and play the game. So to explain my experience I'll split up the the topic into the 2 main categories.

Chapter 1: Retail

Pro's

• Case, Card and Manual: I prefer to have physical games as I love the look of the cases and make the game more attractive and appearing. I wasn't surprised when I noticed the most the physical manual has is the basic Vita controls, if any at all. This is because it's digital already on the card. Convenient, yes? Never have to worry about that anymore.
    • Loading: Loading times are decent but sometimes could be shorter. This all depends on the game but my judgement comes from all games I test. So the retail does load faster, only because digital has encrypted files to protect there data.
    • Retail Value: This is a big importance so listen up! Ps Vita retail games will vary between $24.99-$49.99. This sucks, I know but trust me it's a pro. Gaming is a expensive hobby, sadly. Most New games will be at the $40 price tag + taxes. Digital is about $10-$15 cheaper depending on title. OK, so your paying about $45 for a game. You lose on about $15 but you physically have it now. This is called retail value. You can play the game and trade, sell, or loan it to friends so they can play it. So in the long run those $15 discount's your missing you make up in used sales. Also buying used games will be as cheap or cheaper then it's digital version. You will easily make back the money your lose out buying physical with the used value.

Con's
    • Damage: Now this is a big issue for the younger gamers. This is damages. Now I understand its not the crappy umd; ya, those things sucked! Ds game cards also get damages. I'm saying this because the Vita cards can be damaged like the Ds one are. I shouldn't have to go into things that cause it. It's common sense. If you don't have it then your screwed.
    • Thief's: I won't go into this because its another obvious thing. People like to steal what they can't afford. So ya, watch out. Lol.
    • Price: I know this is also in the Pro's but it's also a con. Your losing $15 or so per retail game. Do the math yourself.
    • Carrying: Nobody likes to carry there games around, not even mini Ds sized ones. Never fun and takes up your pocket space.

OK. So that's the end of the Retail section. I went over it's pro's and con's. Gave my experience on it. And gave a little math lesson. If the game you plan on keeping and you know has replay value then get Digital. You save $15 up front and will never lose it. Now on to the digital section!

Chapter 2: Digital

Pro's:
    • No Carrying Needed: No needing to carry around a bunch of games. That's a win for sure. Very handy when you want to swap games in an instant. There all there and ready to play.
    • Price: Like I explained earlier the digital versions are $10-$15 cheaper. If it's a offline game or one your get bored of then don't bother with retail your lose money in the long run. If it's a online or game you love then go digital as it's cheaper and it's always there.
    • Exclusives: PSN only games will require you to buy and play specific games digitally. These also include some PSV titles, ps1, psp, and minis. If you want it then buy it.

Con's:
    • Case and Manual: To me and some this is a con, otherwise ignore it. Some people like owning it and holding it physically. Never going to change.
    • NO Retail Value: This means once you but the game you can't get anything back in used profits. This is a big issue for those who have trouble buying games. If it's not a online, multilayer, or a game you just love and you still buy digital your wasting money. Do the math and the numbers will shock you.
    • Loading: Digital games, due to encrypted files, take longer to load. Not by much but a good 3-7 seconds on average. This may or may not be changed in the future but as of 2012 this will not be changed. Play digital? Get used to it.

That is it for the digital chapter of my talk-talk. So finally lets do the final view.

Chapter 3: Conclusion
    Always try a game before you buy it. Either play the demo or, once available, play a used copy from your local game store. If the game is good and online, go digital. If it's good but no replay value, go retail. Doing both of these will save you money in the long run. Also before I finish. Buying a 32gb is not needed at the moment as they will go on sale December 2012. This also gives the PSN time to lower prices. Thank you for reading my talk-talk and hope it helps you decide. Have any questions? Feel free to ask.
    Last edited by BrokenRoses22; 01-16-2012 at 05:14 AM.

PsP SaGe PSP Mad Hacker RoXante's Avatar
    Nice.
    I'm goin' both digital and retail as well, but im always lookin' for the lowest price. So im depending on amazon.com and the local gamestop.

Moderator I Modded My PSP Flash 0's Avatar
    Nice read, very enjoyable. I will probably be going mostly retail because I just like to have the physical copy in my hand. However if I do see a cheap game on the PSN that I want I might go that route.
    In an Ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand and my right hand would just be used for punching.

I'll be the number two guy here on PSP MOD in six weeks, How? Name repition, personality mirroring and never breaking off a handshake. I'm always thinking one step ahead like a...carpenter that makes stairs.

I'm glad you enjoyed my opinion.

L
    Well, on my PSP, I have both digital and UMD's of alot of the games. I also enjoy having a hard copy of a game because its like baseball cards or comic books, it aint worth anything if you cant physically handle it.

The digital copies are convenient and are actually smaller MB/GB in size then its hard copy cousin. On a different note, I just bought Fight Night 3 for my PSP Go! for $9.99 from the PSN and its fun as hell!!!, you guys should give it a try.

I'll give it a check.

Banned PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Well, on my PSP, I have both digital and UMD's of alot of the games. I also enjoy having a hard copy of a game because its like baseball cards or comic books, it aint worth anything if you cant physically handle it.

The digital copies are convenient and are actually smaller MB/GB in size then its hard copy cousin. On a different note, I just bought Fight Night 3 for my PSP Go! for $9.99 from the PSN and its fun as hell!!!, you guys should give it a try.

i do the same lol even on my ps3 ill buy games from psn all the time good cheap fun game is payday the heist so i will have no problem buying both

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenRoses22 View Post
    Intro:
    a bar for teens Wondering if you should go Retail or Digital with the Ps Vita Release? I'm creating this talk-talk for those wanting to know if they should go Digital or Retail. There's pros and cons for each so I would need to talk about each one. For a while now I have been play both retail and digital on my Vita and decided to share my knowledge with everyone else.
    Now that we got the somewhat intro out of the way onto the important stuff you came here to read about.

In my experience thus far with the Ps Vita I prefer both digital and retail. Now don't go saying that makes this whole story worthless; your read why. Over the time I noted the game prices, loadings, and everything else that uses the Memory stick and Card to load and play the game. So to explain my experience I'll split up the the topic into the 2 main categories.

Chapter 1: Retail

Pro's

• Case, Card and Manual: I prefer to have physical games as I love the look of the cases and make the game more attractive and appearing. I wasn't surprised when I noticed the most the physical manual has is the basic Vita controls, if any at all. This is because it's digital already on the card. Convenient, yes? Never have to worry about that anymore.
    • Loading: Loading times are decent but sometimes could be shorter. This all depends on the game but my judgement comes from all games I test. So the retail does load faster, only because digital has encrypted files to protect there data.
    • Retail Value: This is a big importance so listen up! Ps Vita retail games will vary between $24.99-$49.99. This sucks, I know but trust me it's a pro. Gaming is a expensive hobby, sadly. Most New games will be at the $40 price tag + taxes. Digital is about $10-$15 cheaper depending on title. OK, so your paying about $45 for a game. You lose on about $15 but you physically have it now. This is called retail value. You can play the game and trade, sell, or loan it to friends so they can play it. So in the long run those $15 discount's your missing you make up in used sales. Also buying used games will be as cheap or cheaper then it's digital version. You will easily make back the money your lose out buying physical with the used value.

Con's
    • Damage: Now this is a big issue for the younger gamers. This is damages. Now I understand its not the crappy umd; ya, those things sucked! Ds game cards also get damages. I'm saying this because the Vita cards can be damaged like the Ds one are. I shouldn't have to go into things that cause it. It's common sense. If you don't have it then your screwed.
    • Thief's: I won't go into this because its another obvious thing. People like to steal what they can't afford. So ya, watch out. Lol.
    • Price: I know this is also in the Pro's but it's also a con. Your losing $15 or so per retail game. Do the math yourself.
    • Carrying: Nobody likes to carry there games around, not even mini Ds sized ones. Never fun and takes up your pocket space.

OK. So that's the end of the Retail section. I went over it's pro's and con's. Gave my experience on it. And gave a little math lesson. If the game you plan on keeping and you know has replay value then get Digital. You save $15 up front and will never lose it. Now on to the digital section!

Chapter 2: Digital

Pro's:
    • No Carrying Needed: No needing to carry around a bunch of games. That's a win for sure. Very handy when you want to swap games in an instant. There all there and ready to play.
    • Price: Like I explained earlier the digital versions are $10-$15 cheaper. If it's a offline game or one your get bored of then don't bother with retail your lose money in the long run. If it's a online or game you love then go digital as it's cheaper and it's always there.
    • Exclusives: PSN only games will require you to buy and play specific games digitally. These also include some PSV titles, ps1, psp, and minis. If you want it then buy it.

Con's:
    • Case and Manual: To me and some this is a con, otherwise ignore it. Some people like owning it and holding it physically. Never going to change.
    • NO Retail Value: This means once you but the game you can't get anything back in used profits. This is a big issue for those who have trouble buying games. If it's not a online, multilayer, or a game you just love and you still buy digital your wasting money. Do the math and the numbers will shock you.
    • Loading: Digital games, due to encrypted files, take longer to load. Not by much but a good 3-7 seconds on average. This may or may not be changed in the future but as of 2012 this will not be changed. Play digital? Get used to it.

That is it for the digital chapter of my talk-talk. So finally lets do the final view.

Chapter 3: Conclusion
    Always try a game before you buy it. Either play the demo or, once available, play a used copy from your local game store. If the game is good and online, go digital. If it's good but no replay value, go retail. Doing both of these will save you money in the long run. Also before I finish. Buying a 32gb is not needed at the moment as they will go on sale December 2012. This also gives the PSN time to lower prices. Thank you for reading my talk-talk and hope it helps you decide. Have any questions? Feel free to ask.
    Psn time to lower price ? Really nice reading . thnks