Thread: Creating your own vinyl decal for the PS Vita no more spending when you can DIY

1. #1 Creating your own vinyl decal for the PS Vita no more spending when you can DIY 
    So a year back I bought a basic black vita from a game stop store Used of course. I just became aware of all this little scuff and scratches all around my vita and wanted to buy a decal something that says me and something that will cover up and protect my vita from any more wear's. But a lot of this protective covering are either expensive or not in my taste for a decal. I believe a small decal over $7 is outrageously expensive.

So now here is where I put on my DIY goggle and begin to think "hmmm why not create my own decal"

Sorry reader have to wait for the admin to approve my next post with picture and a link. So stay tuned
    Last edited by Razzle_Dazzle; 10-23-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: information for reader

Making Google my search bar a friend I begin to look for template to start off my mod. What I ended up finding is this Link which gave me a close enough to the vita outline.

So doing a first print out and then cut out including dropping few placement of circle to fit around the thumbstick, D-PAD, Action pad and lens.

First set of template on paper, you can see the fit around the edge is way to big

Adjusted the fit but still way to wide

View of the screen under the paper can see the boarder edge is about the right fit

New template, self adjusted the side, the lower and upper and the ring. Went ahead and did the bottom corner by myself.

beer makes me retardedly retarded PSP Mad Hacker diabolic-mind's Avatar
    sofar so good, ill have to remembe rthis for when i get my vita, nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by diabolic-mind View Post
    so far so good, ill have to remember this for when i get my vita, nice work!
    thank you, and thanks to the admin for processing my post. My next post update

After a couple more tweaks and an ink refill on the old HP printer

Starting off from the last template I went ahead and "box" in where the home/start/select button will be resting then adjusted the screen length and the outer corner. I went ahead and used my nail then went back in with pencil. This is where the glass ends.

After even more tweaks you can see my screen cover

I have the home and the D-Pad hole sitting right need to adjust the trimmer (thumb stick) hole alittle more in and down

I have the start/select button in place (sorry for the crappy cutting) Action button hole is sitting right to. Also need to drop and the thumb stick hole

I still need to work on the outer round side. I might end up doing is blocking the corner, going over with my thumb and a pencil sketching that in and then scanning it and reworking it on Microsoft paint to get the upper corner and side's just right.
    Last edited by Razzle_Dazzle; 10-24-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Update

Well waiting for the admin to approve my second posted I moved on a lot since then.

So starting off last I had issue getting good clearance from the side

They made good till the center where it went flat. I do have suckish cutting skills :laughing:

I wanted the side to match perfectly So I redesign the outline

I went ahead and blocked out the side

After cutting it out and taping it down I traced out the outline and scanned it

Cleaning up alittle the image I merged the image to the block and begain the work

After acouple tweaks and 3 more template

The out come

I extend the side, I did this so when some one does lay down the graph they can adjust it by using a very sharp exact knife

I might have to re tweak to get it perfect But Ill either leave that for tomorrow

List of things still to do:

I still need to outline the little raise around the dual circle on either side,

Re adjust the corner

finally re print it out on a shipping label in reverse and cut it out then test it on the vita

And finally cheer's

just alittle more to go lol

I went ahead and reversed the image

I also went to office max and bought this for around $6

nice Full size sheet

I made the mistake and used the software asked to be used on the cover... was simple enough but the outcome didn't line up like it should have

A simple fix was just to use the thick shipping label as regular sheet of paper and print out the image like I would on normal print.

A sharp blade keeps well cuts

First hole cut

Finish product after cutting

Not so clean of a cut I will admit

Gave myself enough space and the great thing about the shipping label is the quick easy peel backing

Test fit before placing

At this point I had to pay close attention. Luckily the vinyl is so soft I could stretch it out enough to fit nicely

Did some edge trimming

And of course inside trimming and a test look

I am not totally satisfied with the out look, Especially around the screen area, I believe its a little to the left, So tonight I will adjust and retest it on white carbon fiber till I am satisfied with the out look.

Okie so I reworked on the design and got the screen cut out right where I would like it.

Full view of the skin now in place and the screen centered

I had an issue while placing the skin the vinyl was to soft and I ended up over stretching it over the upper left

So in the end total cost of a 50 pack of packaging sticker $6, Vinyl 12x24 roll of carbon fiber in black (also got white) $4 together on a ebay bid win.

TOTAL= $10 and I can always do multi for free on any other vinyl as I want. Not so bad

Cheers mate
    Last edited by Razzle_Dazzle; 10-24-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Final Update

beer makes me retardedly retarded PSP Mad Hacker diabolic-mind's Avatar
    nice job man, for 10 bucks its not bad for being able to make your own! looking through your pics i see that we have the same keyboard lol

Quote Originally Posted by diabolic-mind View Post
    nice job man, for 10 bucks its not bad for being able to make your own! looking through your pics i see that we have the same keyboard lol
    Thank you I am sure someone can make it far cheaper then I have. Thinking about it, the packaging sticker is not necessary, If you trace a piece of paper to the sheet of vinyl you can then cut out a good size, print to the backing and cut with an exco knife (hobby knife) and to avoid on waste slide the same cut the other way round and print out on the other side. You can save a whole lot

It reduce the price down to the sheet of vinyl and if you are lucky you can even save more if you can buy to size a 8 x 5 (203mm x 127mm) sheet that is the proportion of the vita with spare 1/8 to 1/4 on each side.

People have asked me how to get a good edge. If you go over the edges with a marker and create a new boarder 1/8 wider then the actual you then have an over lap.

I use a tooth pick but you can use a small diamond tip flat head and go over the edge softly with multiple passes till you create a groove and around the thumb stick as well as the D-pad and Action pad. Then you go back in with your hobby knife and cut in between the groove made. This will give you clean lines on which makes for a nice and clean look decal

Cheers

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    Very nice! I'd like to point out that there is a ridiculous selection of vinyl sheets on eBay, for anyone looking to do this. Great pictures, great tutorial!

Quote Originally Posted by Slowman View Post
    Very nice! I'd like to point out that there is a ridiculous selection of vinyl sheets on eBay, for anyone looking to do this. Great pictures, great tutorial!
    Thank you so much, I agree with Slowman eBay has a lot of vinyl sheet of color and texture and variety. Beside the carbon fiber stuff in vast color, they also have transparent, smoke and chrome.

L
    This is the best tutorial I've seen in quite a while, as a matter of fact, I'm going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    This is the best tutorial I've seen in quite a while, as a matter of fact, I'm going to try it.
    Thank you El Guapo Please post an image once you are done to this post. If you need any help you can always contact me