Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slowman

Thread: Is now a good time to purchase the vita?

1. #1 Is now a good time to purchase the vita? 
    Junior Member PSP User
    I'm considering purchasing a Vita but I have a few concerns
    - How good is remote play? Can play away from home, if I'm on a solid wifi connection? Hypothetically could I play it across the country with a good wifi connection?
    - Can you connect and use a PS4 controller?
    - Has hacking the Vita itself come along at all? I looked into it last year and there wasn't anything really going on at the time. I've really been waiting for the Vita to be capable of handling N64 emulation on the Vita itself, not through a PSP.

ALSO, am I better off waiting? What I mean by that is I've been hearing rumblings of a new PS Vita coming out. So I don't want to go buy a Vita today and then 3 months from now have a new, bigger, better version release.

Thanks guys!

Moderator I Modded My PSP Flash 0's Avatar
    I can't really answer the question about the remote play but I can answer the other ones.

No you cannot connect a ps4 controller to it and use it for the vita.
    And all the hacking to my knowledge is still done through the PSP part of the VITA so there are no VITA hacks actually.

And they are in the process of releasing a new VITA at the moment, it is the slim version. The new VITA is a little bit lighter, little thinner, suppose to have one more hour a battery life, 1gb of internal storage and the main advantage that I really see is you can charge the new one with a micro USB.

However there is a disadvantage, you lose the OLED sceen and its replaced with and LED screen.

Anyways the VITA Slim still hasn't been announced for North America yet so we still don't know how long it will be until it gets here.

Hope I helped you decide.
    In an Ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand and my right hand would just be used for punching.

I'll be the number two guy here on PSP MOD in six weeks, How? Name repition, personality mirroring and never breaking off a handshake. I'm always thinking one step ahead like a...carpenter that makes stairs.

Member PSP User
    I jumped on a old one OLED>LED. Found the original 8GB bundle at target for $170

Hacked PSP "part of the Vita"? O.o

lol he means LCD not LED for the new vita slim which is released now in the UK which will be release later on in the US. The vita has two parts beside the main OS that seems to be an android base the backwards compatible software in the vita lets you play downloadable PSP game. Check again on wololo.net for those information. The remote play over long distance is not all that great. Remember that the vita came out in two version. A 3g and a regular one with wifi... The 3g version (which required a SIM card) was suppose to let you connect over long distance with out the use of wifi to your PS console.. the out came was very less spectacular than what they promoted. With speeds less then 10Mbp/s it was subjugated to lose of connect (determining on what phone service you use for the 3gconnection). The wifi version has only a limit of 25 feet (50 feet max but with lose of actual speed in transfer and received information) and was promised to be used or worked with a PS 3 and upcoming available console (PS 4) but never really worked on the PS 3 but works as an additional controller on the PS 4.

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzle_Dazzle View Post
    lol he means LCD not LED for the new vita slim which is released now in the UK which will be release later on in the US. The vita has two parts beside the main OS that seems to be an android base the backwards compatible software in the vita lets you play downloadable PSP game. Check again on wololo.net for those information. The remote play over long distance is not all that great. Remember that the vita came out in two version. A 3g and a regular one with wifi... The 3g version (which required a SIM card) was suppose to let you connect over long distance with out the use of wifi to your PS console.. the out came was very less spectacular than what they promoted. With speeds less then 10Mbp/s it was subjugated to lose of connect (determining on what phone service you use for the 3gconnection). The wifi version has only a limit of 25 feet (50 feet max but with lose of actual speed in transfer and received information) and was promised to be used or worked with a PS 3 and upcoming available console (PS 4) but never really worked on the PS 3 but works as an additional controller on the PS 4.
    Yeah LCD but I bet its an LED/LCD lol

10/mbps should be enough but it isn't on the vita, and doesn't the wifi distance depend on the router?

all the wishes can not be fulfilled together

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
    Yeah LCD but I bet its an LED/LCD lol

10/mbps should be enough but it isn't on the vita, and doesn't the wifi distance depend on the router?
    lol katsu showcase the release in japan it looked to be a regular LCD used on the PSP.

The 3G connection only has up to 10 mbp/s, that is the peak connection you will only get 5 Mbp/s standard use determining on signal strength. The router has a 50feet max range unless you have a max range boost router which has up to 120 feet range. But the signal strength can weaken if traveling through walls and floor and through concrete which can bounce the signal back. So a lot of different factor can play around.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    The 3G Vita is garbage. It's expensive AND useless, the worst of both worlds. You can't play games on it, it's only for friends list and app functions. I think it's $15/month for the lowest plan. All plans are data-capped. About $14/month too much if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowman View Post
    The 3G Vita is garbage. It's expensive AND useless, the worst of both worlds. You can't play games on it, it's only for friends list and app functions. I think it's $15/month for the lowest plan. All plans are data-capped. About $14/month too much if you ask me.
    I second that as well, only few reason why I consider it crap is data cap (no unlimited), either it is AT&T or Verizon wireless server can be used on the 3G and i believe the 3G feature does not have wifi? Not sure if that is true I heard that is a rumor but yeah very useless and slow especially if anyone has DSL you can get 26mbp/s which will still be double the speed then the 3G crap connection, even cheap phone and service has 4Glte, BUT now if they made it with 4Glte and added wifi then yeah I can see where spending the money will do wonder since 4Glte has a spend network over 20Mbps which is up there with great internet service but no sony did an EA thing and released it early to get a heads up over microsoft..

Personally speaking stick with a regular vita. Get a PS 4 later on and game on in your confer of a bed, couch or man cave without having to be on your Plasma screen and ps3 roam the house because that is basically the freedom you get while using remote play.

Moderator I Modded My PSP Flash 0's Avatar
    ^The 3G version of the Vita has WIFI, the 3G Vita has access to everything a normal Vita has plus accessing Mobile 3G towers.
    In an Ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand and my right hand would just be used for punching.

I'll be the number two guy here on PSP MOD in six weeks, How? Name repition, personality mirroring and never breaking off a handshake. I'm always thinking one step ahead like a...carpenter that makes stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash 0 View Post
    ^The 3G version of the Vita has WIFI, the 3G Vita has access to everything a normal Vita has plus accessing Mobile 3G towers.
    thanks for clearing that up, didn't know it had wifi I assumed they prefered just for you to pay phone service for the 3G connection and yes that is true I did imply it does connect to mobile device but the signal strength varies due to broadcast and dead zones. 3G is also slow in compare to that of a standard house DSL network. But thank you didn't think it had wifi at all

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Major Zero's Avatar
    Well now, that's interesting ...
    Refresh for more Sigs

Modder Of The Dark Arts PSP Elite Hacker R()H@X's Avatar
    i was never too impressed with the vita.it has some ups and downs.maybe once its hacked more fully open itll be better.ive always found ive enjoyed unlocked devices over nonunlocked devices perhaps thats just me however if it was then why would we have a site focused on modding ;P