Thread: PS Vita Hopes To Prevent Piracy With Closed Memory Format

1. #1 PS Vita Hopes To Prevent Piracy With Closed Memory Format 
    I want it all, brand new socks and draws! PSP Mad Hacker thecoo1est's Avatar

The proprietary (and costly) memory card format for Sony's upcoming PS Vita has many up in arms, but the company says the new format will prevent another PSP piracy disaster.

Sony Computer Entertainment's Muneki Shimada claims the PS Vita-exclusive memory cards -- which are used as a substitute for internal storage to hold game saves, downloadable content, and other files -- will "ensure the security" of the handheld, according to a Japanese Impress Watch interview.

The company plans to not allow users to hook up the memory cards to their PCs as "mass storage" formats, meaning that they will not be able to transfer and organize their files without using a special content management program, unlike how one manages files on a standard SD card or other devices.

While the PSP requires Windows-only utility Media Go to transfer games to Sony's proprietary Memory Sticks, users could still use them as mass storage devices for other files. This led to hackers eventually devising a way to load custom firmware, circumvent security protections, and play pirated games on PSPs.

Shimada argued that this approach for PS Vita will be more convenient for users, as they will not have to deal with folder structures on the cards -- similar to a program like iTunes, the content management software would take care of that. Some, however, might argue that this takes control away from users.

Mac owners will also take issue with Sony's utility, as the content management program will only be available for Windows when it launches in Japan (December 17, February 22 elsewhere). Andriasang's translated report of the interview says the company intends to release a Mac-compatible version soon.

Source: Gamasutra

Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    it'll get hacked.

probably take longer though. but not as long as hacking the thing itself
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

...even a noob like you can click the link...

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    Of course it'll get hacked, it's not even a question. People defending against hacks have to succeed every time, a hacker only needs to succeed once.

Moderator I Modded My PSP Flash 0's Avatar
    Yeah they will find a way around this, Will be used a mass storage fairly quickly I think. Of course the Vita might need to be hacked first.
    In an Ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand and my right hand would just be used for punching.

I'll be the number two guy here on PSP MOD in six weeks, How? Name repition, personality mirroring and never breaking off a handshake. I'm always thinking one step ahead like a...carpenter that makes stairs.

TASK FORCE 141 PSP Elite Hacker Pirate's Avatar
    Well there's got to be someway of circumventing that problem with not being able to use the vita as a mass storage device.Think the hackers might target that problem first

Jen
    Not like we can't just open it up and find a way inside....

I want it all, brand new socks and draws! PSP Mad Hacker thecoo1est's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Not like we can't just open it up and find a way inside....
    thats what she said, uh huh huh huh

Jen
    Nasteh lolz