Thread: What are your thoughts on PS Vita and was it worth it?

1. #1 What are your thoughts on PS Vita and was it worth it? 
    Had a mishap with my PSP3000 and broke it I started to go out and buy a PS Vita but none of the games are all that appealing and most are just ports of games I already own, the graphics for a handheld are over the top which I was impressed with but what really turned me against it is the trouble you have to go through to do anything homebrew related. At first I was excited to see a new PSP coming out the first thing that came to mind was how much more it would be capable of as far as homebrew goes but Sony seems to have a pretty solid answer to keeping it to a minimum sure people will conitinue to come up with ways to work around it but they can now just as easily come up with ways to shut it down so I don't see anything worth while coming out of me purchasing one. If i'm not mistaken last I checked the damn thing isn't even backwards compatible don't know if this has changed or not but anyways as far as I can tell as of right now even though homebrew is possible to an extent it still seems to be on pause, for those of you who are into homebrew/classic gaming is a PS Vita worth getting i'm tempted to just go out and buy a new PSP3000.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    I can't see myself buying a Vita anytime soon, there's just no dev scene for it yet. I just bought another PSP after not having one for about five years, and my PSP does everything I need in a portable gaming device. If I want to do tablet-style stuff like read books or browse the web I have a Nook Color running Cyanogenmod for that.

Spambuster Bitch PSP Elite Hacker dankgame's Avatar
    well there is a good homebrew/hacking dev scene your just not looking in the right place try wololo.net but anyways your right cause sony needs more third party devs to make legit games for the console. it is a beautiful piece of hardware but it also is over priced at the moment but i do say playing all my nes, snes games on a bigger screen looks great. i suggest if your not a hardcore gamer i would just buy a 3x or a fully hackable 2k like the vader slim or red god of war 2k

ps the vita has not even been out a year and you really think its gonna be hacked that quick ?
    new members and old read thisvvvvvvvv
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/introdu...uncements.html

The Vita is a great system, the best games you can get on a handheld. It may not have a great hacking scene as of right now but that's not why I bought it so I am enjoying it. However there is a rumoured price drop so if I was going to buy one I would wait for some news on that and see if I could save some money.

Edit: Also there is no official way from sony for psp/ps1 play except for games that are available on the psn so no umd games can be played on it.
    Last edited by pyroboy; 01-18-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Look, it's a great device with some decent games and all, but this is Sony we're talking about. It's going to be a bit useless until it's unlocked and homebrew development can begin. My roommate has a PS3 he never uses except for watching movies off a USB hard drive and it's not because the PS3 is a bad system, it's because triple-A gaming in general sucks now. It's all about the money.

And who the hell thought Vita Memory Cards was a good idea? This isn't 2001 anymore, they should have used a currently-existing format like MicroSD or such because most of us already have those cards. It boils down to Sony just wanting to nickle and dime an extra $50 out of you on top of your $249.99 Vita purchase, and that is a big fuck-you to the customer.

The Vita has a slightly larger screen than the PSP. Big deal, the Galaxy S3's is bigger, higher resolution and the device is just as powerful as the Vita (more so when you consider that it's also a cellphone and can run office apps.)

And why do I need multi-touch? I have a smartphone for that. A lot of the games on the PSN can be played on a smartphone (hell, most of them were designed for a smartphone.) A bluetooth controller and a stand makes it just as fun. Sixaxis is nothing to get excited about (it wasn't even exciting when the PS3 launched.)

Quote Originally Posted by dankgame View Post
    ps the vita has not even been out a year and you really think its gonna be hacked that quick ?
    The Android dev scene routinely breaks encryption on new Android smartphone bootloaders less than a month after release (sometimes less than a week.) I realize the Vita is a totally different device but still... you'd think they would have done something by now. Custom firmware in the emulated PSP mode doesn't interest me. I already have a PSP.
    Last edited by DarkED; 03-27-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Spambuster Bitch PSP Elite Hacker dankgame's Avatar
    then why not search cause two people have run native code on the vita here are the links have a read people just need to be patient with the vita plus there are way more devs in the andriod and apple scene

SKFU teases us with what could be a native Playstation Vita hack Wololo.net
    thats from SKFU if you dont know who he is then your lost he has or had a vita dev kit

UVL’s current status and some speculation on the Vita by YifanLu. Wololo.net

so all in all i say stick with your fucking cell phone me i use mine like people should to make calls on i dont buy a fucking phone to play lame ass games like angrey birds or temple run what am i 5 years old the ios market is fucking up the console market
    Last edited by dankgame; 01-18-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    new members and old read thisvvvvvvvv
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/introdu...uncements.html

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    so all in all i say stick with your fucking cell phone me i use mine like people should to make calls on i dont buy a fucking phone to play lame ass games like angrey birds or temple run what am i 5 years old the ios market is fucking up the console market
    True dat, true dat.

Wow, umadbro? Calm down, I was only making conversation.

then why not search cause two people have run native code on the vita here are the links have a read people just need to be patient with the vita plus there are way more devs in the andriod and apple scene
    I am being patient. I didn't say I wasn't ever going to buy one. I simply said I can't see myself buying one anytime soon, which is a perfectly reasonable way of thinking when I am only interested in homebrew and not really interested in official games or software.

That's all great. It still doesn't invalidate anything I said.

so all in all i say stick with your fucking cell phone
    I don't have to; I have a PSP

I was only stating the fact that triple-A gaming on a smartphone can be done and it can be good.

me i use mine like people should to make calls on
    Keep living in 1998 if you want. Meanwhile, I'm over here in reality where smartphones are now capable of (and great at) a lot more than just placing calls. If you want to buy and use a so-called 'dumbphone' then go ahead, but don't knock on me because I bought a smartphone and I actually use all of it's features. All that does is make you look like a jackass.

i dont buy a fucking phone to play lame ass games like angrey birds or temple run what am i 5 years old the ios market is fucking up the console market
    Who said anything about Angry Birds or Temple Run, except you? I'm not talking about crap overpriced app-store games, I'm talking about triple-A console games. Emulators, ports, remakes, etc., etc. There's a ton of great games on the mobile platforms that are either remakes or straight ports of old console games. And generally-decent emulators for the ones that haven't been ported or remade yet.

If you really believe that iOS is fucking up the console market... I hate to tell you this, but it's not. This shit was happening way before smartphones capable of playing games ever came around, and it's because there is no risk or innovation in the gaming industry anymore. Developers are afraid to innovate and make interesting games based on new concepts because doing that has the potential to lose millions of dollars. Instead they play it safe and just keep re-shoveling the same shit we saw last year because they know that millions of idiots will buy the newest version of Call of Black Modern Battlefield Zombie Assault Warfare Duty Ops even if it's exactly the same shitty Hollywoodized linear shooter as the last one. People buy those shitty games because people are generally sheep who will choose ground beef every day over Filet Mignon once a week.

Don't blame Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, and thousands of mobile developers because they were smart enough to recognize and tap into the billion-dollar market that is mobile gaming. They and It are not the problem here. It's a question of quality, but it's an industry-wide question and you can't just point the finger at one small section of it.

Instead, you should blame the people that buy a $400 console so they can then buy and praise the same shitty overpriced games every year.
    Last edited by DarkED; 01-19-2013 at 04:45 AM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Psp vita requires registered mem. Cards, meaning no photo fast adapter or Lexar cheap's
    and no PC or cyber shot support :/

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!

beer makes me retardedly retarded PSP Mad Hacker diabolic-mind's Avatar
    i gotta agree with darkED on the point that they keep making these "sequel" games knowing damn well that people will run to buy them like lambs to the slaughter. i would much rather see new fresh games being put on the market than see call of duty black op 13.

Quote Originally Posted by diabolic-mind View Post
    i gotta agree with darkED on the point that they keep making these "sequel" games knowing damn well that people will run to buy them like lambs to the slaughter. i would much rather see new fresh games being put on the market than see call of duty black op 13.
    Exactly my point, and this shit has been going for at least a decade. I was sick of Modern Warfare before the first Modern Warfare game was even out. But lets not forget; before we were force-fed Modern Warfare and Black Ops, we were force-fed approximately one hundred million Call of Duty-ish games set in World War II And what about Madden and other EA garbage?

This issue isn't limited to just gaming; nearly every big release in entertainment is now either a re-hash or a remake or a remix of something that came out years ago. Occasionally we do get something unique (like Dishonored, or Inception, or Stadium Arcadium) but those special releases are fewer and farther between than they ever have been before.

The price of memory cards put me off buying one on launch. Still have no desire for any Vita games yet. I love my PSP 1003 (until it's unfortunate issue, please see my other posts!) but all I do with that is play PS1, SNES and Megadrive games these days

I'll buy a Vita when it comes down in price and can be hacked to play PS1/PSP games and more advanced emulators... nullDC I'm praying lol