Thread: Skype and Browser update coming soon to the VITA!

1. #1 Skype and Browser update coming soon to the VITA! 
    Moderator I Modded My PSP Flash 0's Avatar

Currently the PS Vita browser is nothing to brag about, no support for flash or HTML 5 video, and plus though the PS Vita is quad core, the browser performs similarly to a iPhone 4. However Sony reveal that improvements to the browser are coming. Via their Twitter account they said:

“Skype will be there soon, accompanied by improvements in web browser”.

No specifics were revealed, but hopefully it will improve stability and add a HTML5 video feature.

Source: PS Vita Browser Update And Skype App Coming Soon ~ PS Vita Hub | Playstation Vita News, PS Vita Blog
    In an Ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand and my right hand would just be used for punching.

I'll be the number two guy here on PSP MOD in six weeks, How? Name repition, personality mirroring and never breaking off a handshake. I'm always thinking one step ahead like a...carpenter that makes stairs.

Junior Member PSP User
    Heck If they get Html5 support that would be awesome. Then I'll have all my movies and tv shows with me streamed online. For anyone that is wondering look into Subsonic it's a music streaming package you host yourself on your computer and there is apps for all platforms to interface as well as a web interface. If the Vita supports it, then that would be awesome. I was kind of hoping they would make the browser a nice one on here...hopefully they will keep the updates coming. Wonder if they will ever implement full support of a Java virtual Machine on there...

Skype is one thing I cannot wait for, since I do not have a cell phone I am going to try to use it as my basic cell service since you can get dirt cheap calling to any phone for 2.99 a month. It might not work out but I am going to try it, I could have 3gigs of data and calling on it for about $33 a month.
    In an Ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand and my right hand would just be used for punching.

I'll be the number two guy here on PSP MOD in six weeks, How? Name repition, personality mirroring and never breaking off a handshake. I'm always thinking one step ahead like a...carpenter that makes stairs.

L
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash 0 View Post
    Skype is one thing I cannot wait for, since I do not have a cell phone I am going to try to use it as my basic cell service since you can get dirt cheap calling to any phone for 2.99 a month. It might not work out but I am going to try it, I could have 3gigs of data and calling on it for about $33 a month.
    Dude, any news about "Skype" having video chat support on the Vita?

Super Moderator PSP Elite Hacker faustnero's Avatar
    i thought sony backed down on the flash support on Vita.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    i could care less about the Skype but am looking very forward to a better browser after watching reviews on it. also its 2012 why the hell aren't all devices supporting flash and html5!? this is a core necessity and i find browsing pretty useless without it. Give me Flash!

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Dude, any news about "Skype" having video chat support on the Vita?
    I havn't heard anything, but as soon as I do I will post it on here.