Thread: PS3′s Security is an Epic Fail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 PS3′s Security is an Epic Fail 
    Spambuster Bitch PSP Elite Hacker dankgame's Avatar

Site ContentThe PS3′s Security is an Epic Fail. The fail0verflow Project
    Posted by Hendrickson December 29, 2010
    Categories: PS3 News2 Comments

Today was a big day when it comes to PS3 hacking and security of the system. At the Chaos Communication Congress in Berlin today, team fail0verflow pointed out the have pretty much found a way to have complete control over the PS3 console. This means dongle-less jailbreaking by breaking the PS3 loaders. The team also shows how calculating the public private keys (due to botched security), which gives users the ability to sign their own SELFs. So now PS3 homebrew devs would be able to sign their own homebrew! Because of these recent breakthroughs the current firmware is vulnerable and maybe even beyond v3.55. They even went as far as saying the The PS3′s Security is an Epic Fail.

The teams webioste is 404 Not Found Its currently down at the moment maybe due to high traffic its receiving?

Update via http://twitter.com/fail0verflow

# our goal is to have linux running on all existing PS3 consoles, whatever their firmware versions. less than 20 seconds ago via web in reply to KushanTheCat
    # Our current PS3 goal: AsbestOS.pup 2 minutes ago via web
    # For all those out there that think fail0verflow.com has been hacked -- it hasnt. Were just busy working on a demo for tomorrow. Patience! 3 minutes ago via web
    Note: we wont be working long-term on CFW or similar. Well release tools and a PoC, someone else can take over. The fun part is done less than 5 seconds ago via Choqok
    this was taken from ps3hacks not my words at all but all i can say is sony is gonna shit them selfs
    new members and old read thisvvvvvvvv
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/introdu...uncements.html

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    oh great...i don't get why they are so persistent on hacking into the ps3's systems like this...all it does really is ruin legit gaming for users who only want to play straight up!! if they're so awesome, go make your own system, start your own network for the hackers and leave the legit gamers' games the hell alone!
    [CENTER]

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    ^ I honestly don't get why your so pissed about this...It'll be no different than the PSP. I don't know about you, but I would love being able to play everything from Gameboy Color to Xbox games. And when it comes to online hacking, most people have enough integrity to not spam with that shit. I mean, sure, they'll be a lot of little 12-year-olds running around with one-shot-kill, walk through walls, and flash; but even they'll get bored. Just boot them out of the lobby using one of the many boot codes that are sure to be out, along with the rest of the codes...Actually, the stupid kids will more than likely be scared shitless of hacking; they wouldn't want to risk their only friend getting permabanned, and turned into an expensive paperweight.
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanz__ View Post
    ^ I honestly don't get why your so pissed about this...It'll be no different than the PSP. I don't know about you, but I would love being able to play everything from Gameboy Color to Xbox games. And when it comes to online hacking, most people have enough integrity to not spam with that shit. I mean, sure, they'll be a lot of little 12-year-olds running around with one-shot-kill, walk through walls, and flash; but even they'll get bored. Just boot them out of the lobby using one of the many boot codes that are sure to be out, along with the rest of the codes...Actually, the stupid kids will more than likely be scared shitless of hacking; they wouldn't want to risk their only friend getting permabanned, and turned into an expensive paperweight.

this. besides, online gaming ain't that great anyway. you ain't missing much by getting banned, you can still play games.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    If I read this right they have the ability to sign their own homebrew? So wouldn't that render almost all custom firmware irrelevant seeing as they can just sign their brew and then play it on the regular sony system?

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    If I read this right they have the ability to sign their own homebrew? So wouldn't that render almost all custom firmware irrelevant seeing as they can just sign their brew and then play it on the regular sony system?
    thats the point. they dont have to worry about CFW or the USB things. thats why its a breakthrough. and the ting is, if sony were to change it to were they cant sign it and have it work, it will fuck up everything they have done. sony's balls are on the wall now.

Quote Originally Posted by xavis View Post
    thats the point. they dont have to worry about CFW or the USB things. thats why its a breakthrough. and the ting is, if sony were to change it to were they cant sign it and have it work, it will fuck up everything they have done. sony's balls are on the wall now.
    meh tbh I'm not surprised, hopefully they'll do the same for a PSP considering every custom firmware creator has left the scene, I may consider buying a PS3 now.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    INB4 TSO saying he will NEVER buy a PS3 now

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    I might buy a PS3 now is correct.

L
    This may be a little off topic but look at the size of these guys craniums..............they are all BRAIN!!!!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    i only get angry cause they ruin online gaming...yeah some of you hate online gaming, i like it among countless thousands as well, do the math lol

wanna play xbox games, get an xbox, i have both systems...as far as emulators go i don't know why sony can't make their own and charge a few bucks for them and the roms to play them, that's their loss. but they hack games, it's happened to the psp's and why many of us stray from online gaming anymore even though we can hack back...it's not fun
    [CENTER]

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goku2778 View Post
    as far as emulators go i don't know why sony can't make their own and charge a few bucks for them and the roms to play them, that's their loss.
    Because SONY doesn't have the right to sell Nintendo/Microsoft emulators and ROMs. That's like saying SONY can start making profit off of the Xbox 360.
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

goku, quit making it sound like online gaming is the shit. its not. it doesn't make the system operational. its good sure, but it ain't the shit.

Because SONY doesn't have the right to sell Nintendo/Microsoft emulators and ROMs. That's like saying SONY can start making profit off of the Xbox 360.
    you are right, but seeing as Sega is a free agent now that opens up countless games and system classics that could really sell quite well, additionally Sony should take a note from nintendo's virtual market place, while they are rereleasing some classics, they really aren't doing quite enough with them. Anywho, I agree with Vanz, an open console is the best console, however, online cheating does annoy me, but so long as I can easily hack back I don't really care.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    The code is written in C. Basically, the PS3 is supposed to generate a random key as part of its security. This is Sony's code:

int getRandomNumber()
    return 4;
    Ok, so basically, int = integer, and the name of the function is "getRandomNumber" where () is where the outputted key would go. return 4 means that the key will be 4 every single time.
    Last edited by Product F(RED); 01-02-2011 at 02:29 AM.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast