Thread: I have an important choice to make......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I have an important choice to make...... 
    To hack the PS3 or not hack it? I've heard recently that OFW 5.33 was cracked wide open, complete with network access...among other things...I'd like to learn more, but I don't know what all else that entails.

I have a modded PS2 HDD with MY game collection on it, and ideally I'd like to get some way to transfer and play my PS2 stuff to my PS3, but I dunno if that's do-able or not, since I don't know what the Homebrew Scene on PS3 is like.

Can someone help me understand more of what is going on...I don't want to step on a landmine or get a "light of death" on my console...

I don't wanna make any mistakes. But just to be clear, I just want to backup games I own, nothing else, but I do still wanna have online access.

Mine's a Fat Refurb PS3 (neutered of Emotion Chip, so no backwards compatibility). So I'd like the mod it to get that compatibility back, if possible.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    sony will do all kinds of shit to block that hack. i'd wait unless you don't care about online play.
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

...even a noob like you can click the link...

This is the most recent article I read on the subject, but it doesn't say anything about homebrew emus.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418223

The other day I saw someone playing SNES9x on PS3, and he had no troubles with Network Access.

im just sayin bro, ps3 is sony's precious little goldnugget, they're not gonna let it go this easily. they'll do something, and it will be psn-based.

Well, at the very least I'd like to know what the Homebreweries are doing on their end of things (FOR NOW).

Oh and might as well ask, how are the legal proceedings of this TRO case going?

i havent heard from this. im reading this right now Sony Ps3 Tro

Banned PSP User
    just so you understand when you jailbreak all the GeoHot 3.55 adds to the PS3 is the option to Install Package Files under the game tab, but that is where you will install your emulators and any signed homebrew.
    its easy, i would say there is almost no risk in bricking at all when using the GeoHot 3.55 jailbreak.
    its as simple as downloading his PS3UPDATEJB.PUP, putting it on a flash drive like so
    :/root>PS3>UPDATE>PS3UPDATEJB.PUP and then going to the System Update via Mass Storage on the PS3.
    jailbreak works for fat and slim ps3, any hard drive size.
    and if you want to get rid of the jailbreak, just find the Sony OFW 3.55 and replace the PS3UPDATEJB.PUP on the flash drive with the OFW 3.55 update.

you will not be able to run ANY PS2 games off of the HDD, and if you want to run PS3 backups, you are on your own with that. its not that complicated but it'll take a lil bit of searching and setting programs up on the PC. all the tools to this kind of shit have been released by GeoHot and fail0verflow.

homebrew is pretty decent right now, im running SNES9X, FBANext PS3, Mednafen and blackb0x FTP v1.2 for transfering files from the PC straight to the HDD. good stuff for sure.

all my blu ray games and movies still work, i still can play on PSN, still purchase things from the PS Store. i have not heard of a single case of a person being banned with a jailbroken PS3, but Sony may start cracking down, who knows. nothing to be worried about.

<3 you
    Last edited by VegtableReality; 01-17-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    just a heads up to the OP...once they update their firmwares with whatever it is Sony has in store for all these hackers running this...you "could" get banned if they detect it...they banned my 2 psp's from psn activation for good, no matter what i do/did. basically their update to 6.30 detected homebrew running off my system, i updated to it while in Test m33 mode on my mms with pandora. so if you have this flashed, they release their new security fixes/tactics for all this, you "could" get screwed and screwed hard!! be warned, all these people saying they can't ban you, they've banned people on ps3's and psp's have been perma banned from activations...i'm 1 of them

i only lost out on psp game demos and psn purchases...so i look at it as their loss, not mine cause you lost revenue from someone who actually pays for your stuff...i won't dare mess with my ps3 in any way, plus this new geohot exploit only allows homebrews to run, no backup manager support at all.
    [CENTER]

Banned PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by goku2778 View Post
    i only lost out on psp game demos and psn purchases...so i look at it as their loss, not mine cause you lost revenue from someone who actually pays for your stuff...i won't dare mess with my ps3 in any way, plus this new geohot exploit only allows homebrews to run, no backup manager support at all.
    backup managers do not work, but playing full game rips off of the HDD is possible on this firmware. all it requires is a patched eboot.bin and replacing the USDIR files. pretty simple honestly, but if Sony is going to ban people for JB PS3's, thats the most obvious way to get caught.

I see, thanks for the headsup. Any news updates on court proceedings?

So a 3.56 Update...seems no sweat to hackers...

Spambuster Bitch PSP Elite Hacker dankgame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimeblade View Post
    So a 3.56 Update...seems no sweat to hackers...
    maybe but with the 3.56 update we saw the first wave of banning systems by sony
    and im sure when they put out 3.60 there will be more i say good job sony dont go down without a fight there are people out here that hate these fuckin hackers just as much as yall do
    new members and old read thisvvvvvvvv
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/introdu...uncements.html

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    ^^ding ding...100% agreed with!!
    [CENTER]

I'm not sure I get why the PSPMod community hates these hackers? I mean, we support PSP homebrew, yet we hate PS3 hacking? WTF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast