Thread: Sony restraining order against Geohot and others

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Sony restraining order against Geohot and others 
    Spambuster Bitch PSP Elite Hacker dankgame's Avatar
    A couple of weeks ago, PS3 hacker George Hotz said he was comfortable facing Sony's charges against him, adding that the media giant's legal actions have no basis. It appears things didn't go his way this time now that he has been put under a temporary restraining order.

As of January 14th, Geohot was free of any restraining orders, as he posted on his blog, meaning he could still continue his work at the time. He won't be able to say that now.

In a recent development in the on-going case, Sony has succeeded in placing Geohot, team fail0verflow, and a hundred other individuals involved in the PS3 hack under a TRO. The court order is not unexpected at this point, since the court has to keep things from escalating while trying to resolve the matter.

As part of the legal proceedings, the court will have to seize everything that Geohot may have used in cracking the PS3. Everything. The hacker has to take down links of his PS3 work from his sites and surrender all the related equipment - from CPUs, PS3s, storage devices, etc. Geohot is also to cease all actions pertaining to hacking the PS3.

Furthermore, the court has also found sufficient evidence to keep the case in San Francisco.

Sony, in the meantime, has released a new firmware update, v3.56, that effectively wipes hacks and homebrew out of updated PS3 units. It's a little late to stop the previously released hacks from spreading like the plague, but don't be expecting a new race against the latest security update anytime soon. At least, not from the ones getting sued.

LMAO thats what you hackers get for fuckin up gaming for the legit players

story from QJ
    new members and old read thisvvvvvvvv
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/introdu...uncements.html

L
    DAMN!!!!!!!!, Sony is putting the HAMMER down.

god dam right they are good for them

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    $ony have all the time and resources to fight this , can't say the same about Geohot and crew.

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    Damn, that guy just lost probably several 10's of thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment. Fuck Sony, they're making an example of him just like the RIAA does to mothers who download 19 songs and sues her for a couple of million.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    glad to hear it!!! those hackers need to get what they deserve...they're stealing tons Sony's pockets, helping other gameless skilled hackers get online just to ruin other peoples games, fake their awards, good for Sony!!
    [CENTER]

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    last time i checked hacking was not illegal. if it is legal and people are getting jailed for it, what other legal shit will we lose?

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    The initial restraining order was to prevent Geohot from distributing a guide to hacking PS3 (essentially a handbook), but I did not know that it required him to surrender all his equipment, but I don't the ruling will last. Those devices are indeed Geohots and the judge who issued this ruling violated some pretty important private property rights that many Americans hold dear. I expect him to appeal and then possibly get an over ruling depending on how he appeals.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Well if Sony would just fucking allow homebrew, maybe this wouldn't need to happen. Pardon my language, Sony just pisses me off. All they'd need to do is provide an open API anyone can use to develop homebrew. Cunts.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
    Well if Sony would just fucking allow homebrew, maybe this wouldn't need to happen. Pardon my language, Sony just pisses me off. All they'd need to do is provide an open API anyone can use to develop homebrew. Cunts.
    Agreed I've always been amazed at Sony's Business strategy, basically it involves them repeatedly inserting their hand into your wallet and their dick into your ear. They make a nice new format, but then lock it down so only they can provide the format and thus make shitloads of cash (Betamax, MS Produo, Micro MSProduo, and now Bluray, note not all of these are Sony made only). Additionally they remove features out of fear, they cut benefits to consumers and just generally piss off devs. If Sony wants to succeed they need to embrace open development. I won't say Apple did this, but they took a close step when they made the app store (of course they fucked it up with random bannings/rules). Anyway long story short, Sony get a clue, make your stuff open and cheaper and stop trying to give us a fuck off with no reach around.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    ^ Amen.

/filler
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

Amen brother indeed

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Agreed I've always been amazed at Sony's Business strategy, basically it involves them repeatedly inserting their hand into your wallet and their dick into your ear. They make a nice new format, but then lock it down so only they can provide the format and thus make shitloads of cash (Betamax, MS Produo, Micro MSProduo, and now Bluray, note not all of these are Sony made only). Additionally they remove features out of fear, they cut benefits to consumers and just generally piss off devs. If Sony wants to succeed they need to embrace open development. I won't say Apple did this, but they took a close step when they made the app store (of course they fucked it up with random bannings/rules). Anyway long story short, Sony get a clue, make your stuff open and cheaper and stop trying to give us a fuck off with no reach around.
    the only reason they do succeed is cause there are more fanboys with no clue on whats really going on thinking sony is the shit even though they repeatedly get shit on. as long as there are braindead fanboys, they will live on with the same tactics.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

dose anyone in this thread other then goku have a ps3?

Quote Originally Posted by dankgame View Post
    dose anyone in this thread other then goku have a ps3?
    The answer to this question is irrelevant to this argument.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast