Thread: Unable to keep a stable connection to the PSN

1. #1 Unable to keep a stable connection to the PSN 
    I'm posting this on behalf of my brother who bought a new PS3 recently. So basically he cannot connect to the PSN - and if he does, the connection isnt stable, he'll get disconnected within 5 minutes of online play.

We've tried resetting the router, leaving the ps3 for an hour to see if it improves after time but nothing happens. The internet connection itself is fine on my laptop/his laptop/ect but the ps3 just doesn't want to establish a stable connection whatsoever. So he'd appriciate if anyone could provide some insight into this.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    What error number are you getting when this happens?

There is no error number, it just as i said, wont stay connected or wont connect at all.

When he tries to run the connection test it works fine up to the PSN server part and then it just says failed. When he tries to do updates it'll download till about 40-60% then it'll drop, when he tries to join an online match sometimes it wont connect to the other players atall, or it'll disconnect during the match.

I dunno we're kinda running out of options here haha, as i said the internet itself works fine on the computers and my psp ://

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    That happened with me and my PSP, I could never find a solution...

Member PSP User
    Sounds to me like you guys have too many things connecting to the router. I could never get onto PSN when the Xbox was on, and same goes for any laptops. Try blocking the MAC addresses to everything but the PS3 (this will stop them from being able to connect to the router/internet) and see if it can get a solid connection. If that doesn't work there may be a hardware problem. Don't forget to unblock the MAC addresses at some point, and make sure you don't block the PS3's MAC address, you can view it in the PS3's system info.

You probably won't even have to block the MAC addresses, just turn off the laptops and all the other wireless devices you guys have on.

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    Go to your network settings, and give the PS3 a static IP address. It'll make the PS3 priority #1 among everything else connected to your router. Either that, or just give your PS3 a wired connection. You'll have 100% connection all the time with this method.
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanz__ View Post
    Go to your network settings, and give the PS3 a static IP address. It'll make the PS3 priority #1 among everything else connected to your router.
    That's what I to do with my PSP otherwise it wouldn't connect to my router.

Alright, thanks for the info guys, will let my bro know in the morning about those methods considering its 5am here and im still at work lol. But yeah.

Will post back later with results :O

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    the wireless can be flaky on the ps3, thus many users rely on hard wire (RJ45) connection instead...

so, try it out by using a wired connection to see if the problem persists.

i have my ps3 in the lounge, while the wireless router and pc is in the spare room. my wireless connection sometimes works like a dream, other times it's a big arsehole. i can pick up other ppl's wireless networks stronger than my own... i don't know what sony did with its wireless controllers in their ps3, but that's my suspect for this inconsistent performance.

yet i have no issues using the wireless network when using my iPod and netbook...

EDIT - we guess that you have been mucking around on the ps3's xmb to get into its network settings. basically, its just an auto-scan and you are prompted to answer each step and then test the connection - the hardest bit there is to enter your network's password correctly with its UPPER and lower casings... so, we assume that the ps3 tests the connection and tells you that its functional/operation?
    Last edited by FNQer; 01-30-2011 at 06:46 AM.
    TA-081 (neur0n 6.60ME v1.8) + TA-085v2 (neur0n 6.60ME v1.6) + Brite (OFW5.03) + PSP-Go + Phat PS3 40GB/FW3.15 + PlayTV

NDS Lite + DSi

iPod Touch 1G/16GB 3.1.3JB + iPod Touch 4G/32GB 4.2.1JB

MSI Wind U100/2gb ram/500 gb hdd/WinXP Pro SP 3/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Q6600/Foxconn Mars P35/4 GB DDR2/8800GTS-512/Vista +

Acer A500 + HTC IC + Acer5750G/Win7