Thread: Sony Lawyers Expand Dragnet, Targeting Anybody Posting PlayStation 3 [3rd]

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Sony Lawyers Expand Dragnet, Targeting Anybody Posting PlayStation 3 [3rd] 
    Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    Sony is threatening to sue anybody posting or “distributing” the first full-fledged jailbreak code for the 4-year-old PlayStation 3 gaming console.

What’s more, the company is demanding that a federal judge order Google to surrender the IP addresses and other identifying information (.pdf) of those who have viewed or commented about the jailbreak video on a private YouTube page. The game maker is also demanding that Twitter provide the identities of a host of hackers who first unveiled a limited version of the hack in December.

Sony’s aggressive pre-trial discovery demands come in its lawsuit against George Hotz. The 21-year-old New Jersey hacker, who is well known in the jailbreaking community, published the finished PlayStation 3 code and a how-to YouTube video last month. The code allows the Playstation 3 to play pirated and homebrewed games.

Sony wants the information “to determine the identities of third parties hosting and distributing the circumvention devices” so Sony can send them a DMCA notice to remove the material “and, if necessary, seek appropriate relief from this court.” (.pdf)

“The discovery they call for in my opinion is overbroad,” Hotz’ attorney, Stewart Kellar, said in a telephone interview.

Sony declined comment.

A hearing is tentatively set for Wednesday. Sony filed its documents about 7:30 p.m. PST on Friday.

U.S. District Judge Susan Illston ordered Hotz to remove the YouTube video and the code from his personal website — orders to which Hotz complied with last week. Ahead of an unscheduled trial in which Sony is seeking unspecified damages from Hotz, Illston had concluded that Hotz likely breached the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. He did so by publishing or “distributing” a hack designed to circumvent software meant to protect copyrighted material, the judge said.

Hotz, by order of Illston, is also scheduled to surrender his computer gear to Sony by Thursday. Kellar is trying to convince Judge Illston to back away from allowing Sony to examine his drives and other devices.

Sony is also trying to haul into court the so-called “failOverflow hacking team.”

But first, Sony needs to learn the identities and whereabouts of the group’s members. They are accused of posting a rudimentary hack in December. It was refined by Hotz weeks later when he accessed the console’s so-called “metldr keys,” or root keys that trick the system into running unauthorized programs.

Toward getting the FailOverflow defendants to appear into court, Sony is demanding that Twitter divulge the personal account information (.pdf) behind the usernames of @KaKaRoToKS, @gnihsub, @pytey, @bl4sty, @marcan42 and @failOverflow.

The DMCA makes it either a civil or criminal offense to traffic in wares meant to circumvent devices protecting copyrighted works.Ironically, performing a similar hack on a mobile phone is lawful.

Here's the defendant George Hotz with a nice "Fuuuu-" expression.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/th...1.12.36-PM.png

Best if we remove our PS3 links for the jailbreak so pspmod isn't effected by this.

L
    Seems like George is hating it about now.

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Seems like George is hating it about now.
    Hotz is currently in house arrest and has no electronics.
    Sucks to be him. XD

L
    God damn!!!!, they putting the HAMMER down on him.

List of charges against poor old George.

18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(2)(C) – Confidential Information On Computer

18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(4) – Intent To Defraud And Obtain Value

18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(5)(A) – Knowing Transmission of Code

18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(5)(B) and (C) – Intentional and Reckless Damage And Loss

18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(6)(A) – Trafficking in Password

18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(7)(B) – Intent to Extort

L
    Holy shit!!!, I didnt realize that Sony was that serious about this. George better get Johnny Cochran and his dream team to try to defend him with the slogan "if it aint jailbreak, dont make him jailbait"

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Holy shit!!!, I didnt realize that Sony was that serious about this. George better get Johnny Cochran and his dream team to try to defend him with the slogan "if it aint jailbreak, dont make him jailbait"
    He wont last 1 month in jail without making a new buttbuddy. XD

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Why don't they just hire security auditors before releasing a platform? Do it like the Browser competition that exists, where you get paid for being able to find exploits in a browser. That's all they would have to do. Grab the well known hackers, tell them "We will pay you $10,000 if you can crack this system. You have X months". Maybe then they would have realized that it's that damn employee's fault for not bothering to implement real security. To backtrack, instead of creating a random key each boot, the employee who created the security code made it "4" each time.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Bye bye PS3 hacking.
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/733914-post1.html

EDIT:
    Sony got to link before it could be seen by you all.
    Sorry.
    Last edited by BrokenRoses22; 02-08-2011 at 05:17 PM.

If we get called into court over this, I'm going to go apeshit.

FOR SONY: I AM NOT A HACKER. IF YOU CALL ME INTO COURT, I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW NOT TO BUY A SONY PRODUCT AND I WILL MAKE THIS CASE GO MAINSTREAM.

Cue xavis saying nothing I do matters.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker TheMeek's Avatar
    i dont think Sony is going to go after everyone, more of a scare tactic to stop people from posting and viewing the information until they get rid of it all, but they are definately more aggressive about this than the PSP, maybe they did learn there lesson and are trying to not make the same mistakes they did with the PSP....and this site should be left alone since it is one of the few legit sites, by not promoting piracy or illegal activities, kind of feel for george but then again hes a hacker, so what did he expect to happen, he will make a pretty girlfriend for some lonely prisoner though....im betting he will go for a carton of cigarettes, they sure love them scrawny white boys
    ALSO for SONY, Im with Fred, I will also tell everyone to avoid Sony products including myself , if this site is targeted, This site does not support illegal activities so spend your time going after the real threats
    Last edited by TheMeek; 02-08-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeek View Post
    i dont think Sony is going to go after everyone, more of a scare tactic to stop people from posting and viewing the information until they get rid of it all, but they are definately more aggressive about this than the PSP, maybe they did learn there lesson and are trying to not make the same mistakes they did with the PSP....and this site should be left alone since it is one of the few legit sites, by not promoting piracy or illegal activities, kind of feel for george but then again hes a hacker, so what did he expect to happen, he will make a pretty girlfriend for some lonely prisoner though....im betting he will go for a carton of cigarettes, they sure love them scrawny white boys
    ALSO for SONY, Im with Fred, I will also tell everyone to avoid Sony products including myself , if this site is targeted, This site does not support illegal activities so spend your time going after the real threats
    I totally agree, but scare tactic or not, it's fucking stupid that they have the power to summon all of these people to court just because they read about the hack or commented on a YouTube video showing it. Seriously? They want our IP Addresses just for opening our mouths about it? FUCK YOU SONY. They're playing God and the courts are just letting them do that. This is a free country. I can say and think what I want without being chased by the thought police (Equilibrium is a great movie btw, and 1984 is a great book).

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about this site at all, we tell hackers and pirates off all day

geohot shouldn't be too surprised though, they fought to stop the sales of the dongles when they came out, why wouldn't they go full force on you for breaking their security keys and then broadcasting it on the net?? the hacking cheating pirates are the real ones to blame...be legit and they leave you alone, cheat and steal, pay the piper
    [CENTER]

I just posted a sticky in the chatbox. News related stuff is exempt from that rule, so feel free to post updates.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast