Thread: PS3 Ethernet Connection

1. #1 PS3 Ethernet Connection 
    Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    My apartment's ethernet port doesn't work, but the wireless does. My laptop (MacBook Pro) connects to the wireless fine, with four connection bars. My PS3 does not. I'm trying to connect my PS3 via ethernet cable. The cable is hooked into the PS3 and MacBook. On my Mac, I setup Internet Sharing, and I even went the extra mile and setup Web/File Sharing. My Mac recognizes the setup. I have chosen, "Using DHCP with manual IP Address." on my Mac, and the IP I chose was "10.0.0.1" (Mac). On my PS3, I made my IP "10.0.0.2", subnet mask "255.255.0.0", Default Router (my Mac's IP, which acts as a router) "10.0.0.1", and Primary/Secondary DNS "192.168.2.1". On my Mac, everything is shown as green and working. However, my PS3 will only get the IP address, and then it just hangs. Sometimes it doesn't even get the IP address.

If anyone can help me, post up. Only post if you have anything to input. Thanks.
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

Disclaimer:

Canadian Taco PSP Mad Hacker Jose Burrito Gu's Avatar
    Change your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
    Sig made by me

Yea, already did that. And fixed it. Mods delete.
    Disclaimer:

5. #5 I am trying the same thing. Can you tell me exactly what to type in on ps3 and mac 
    Quote Originally Posted by fuckingclassy View Post
    My apartment's ethernet port doesn't work, but the wireless does. My laptop (MacBook Pro) connects to the wireless fine, with four connection bars. My PS3 does not. I'm trying to connect my PS3 via ethernet cable. The cable is hooked into the PS3 and MacBook. On my Mac, I setup Internet Sharing, and I even went the extra mile and setup Web/File Sharing. My Mac recognizes the setup. I have chosen, "Using DHCP with manual IP Address." on my Mac, and the IP I chose was "10.0.0.1" (Mac). On my PS3, I made my IP "10.0.0.2", subnet mask "255.255.0.0", Default Router (my Mac's IP, which acts as a router) "10.0.0.1", and Primary/Secondary DNS "192.168.2.1". On my Mac, everything is shown as green and working. However, my PS3 will only get the IP address, and then it just hangs. Sometimes it doesn't even get the IP address.

If anyone can help me, post up. Only post if you have anything to input. Thanks.

PS3
    IP Address: 10.0.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Router/Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    Primary AND Secondary DNS: 192.168.1.1

Mac
    Connect your PS3 to Mac via Ethernet Cable.
    Enable "Internet Sharing", then check: To computers using: Ethernet.
    Select your "Ethernet Connection" in your Mac's connection list. Adjust the following:
    Configure IPv4: Using DHCP with manual address
    IP Address: 10.0.0.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.1

Restart your PS3. You should be signed-in shortly. Remember, your Mac must be on whenever your PS3 is on. You must turn on your Mac before your PS3.

EDIT: The PSN has been hacked, and is being worked on. You'll have to wait awhile before you'll be able to be signed in. You can still edit all the above, however.
    Last edited by fuckingclassy; 04-28-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Disclaimer:

Senior Member I Modded My PSP shiv's Avatar
    That all looks good.. maybe try turning on the Media Server option on the PS3? (Shot in the dark, but who knows..?)

There's a lot of different ways in which one can connect their PS3 to the internet. This Mac - PS3 method is actually pretty nice. My Mac is connected wirelessly, while my PS3 has a quick wired connection.
    Disclaimer:

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    i had no idea this could be done. instead of deleting the thread, turn it into a how-to and please include Windows 7 if you had the time/facilities if you can

10. #10 I followed your instructions but it didnt work. 
    On my macbookpro the ethernet displayed as inactive and on the ps3 it couldnt find an ethernet cable. Any other ideas?? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuckingclassy View Post

PS3
    IP Address: 10.0.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Router/Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    Primary AND Secondary DNS: 192.168.1.1

Mac
    Connect your PS3 to Mac via Ethernet Cable.
    Enable "Internet Sharing", then check: To computers using: Ethernet.
    Select your "Ethernet Connection" in your Mac's connection list. Adjust the following:
    Configure IPv4: Using DHCP with manual address
    IP Address: 10.0.0.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.1

Restart your PS3. You should be signed-in shortly. Remember, your Mac must be on whenever your PS3 is on. You must turn on your Mac before your PS3.

EDIT: The PSN has been hacked, and is being worked on. You'll have to wait awhile before you'll be able to be signed in. You can still edit all the above, however.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanh2o View Post
    On my macbookpro the ethernet displayed as inactive and on the ps3 it couldnt find an ethernet cable. Any other ideas?? thanks
    Let your PC automatically assign itself an IP address, then just give the PS3 a similar one in the same range; tweak the last set of numbers.