Thread: first psn lawsuit...must read

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 first psn lawsuit...must read 
    Modder Of The Dark Arts PSP Elite Hacker R()H@X's Avatar
    originally posted by Ryan F. of qj.net

Well surprise, surprise, surprise... The first lawsuit against Sony over the recent PlayStation Network security breach has been filed today in California.

The lawsuit comes a day after Sony acknowledged that the personal information of its PlayStation Network customers has been compromised, with their names, addresses, e-mail addresses, birthdays, passwords, and possibly credit card numbers, was obtained illegally by an "unauthorized person."

Cnet reports that the lawsuit was filed on behalf of Kristopher Johns, 36, of Birmingham, Ala., in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Johns accuses Sony of not taking "reasonable care to protect, encrypt, and secure the private and sensitive data of its users."

Johns also believes Sony did not take "reasonable care to protect, encrypt, and secure the private and sensitive data of its users" that prevented PSN users from being able "to make an informed decision as to whether to change credit card numbers, close the exposed accounts, check their credit reports, or take other mitigating actions."

The lawsuit is asking for monetary compensation and free credit card monitoring, similar to the sentiments of Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal, who wrote a concerned letter to Jack Tretton of SCEA yesterday. Blumenthal called for Sony to provide PSN users with financial data security services, including free access to credit reporting services for two years to protect against identity theft and sufficient insurance to protect them from the possible financial consequences of the breach.

ƒR()†H@X-Can't say this suprises me much.i hope this person wins,it serves sony right for not being able to encrypt and secure our stuff better!

nice, but the first lawsuit is actually with this guy name Kristopher

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    it won't go anywhere...people need to get over it, shit got hack, sites get hacked...if you're dumb enough to store all your personal info like that, especially credit cards like that, don't bitch about it...common sense
    [CENTER]

Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    Agreed ^
    Won't be shocked if this doesn't get anywhere.

L
    I got my credit card info taken because of this issue and my card was used to buy a Ferrari and an iPad and a 50" Plasma 1080i TV. Do I care..........NO!!!!

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    I think Sony was wrong for having such shit security (CC# stored in .txt), but at the same time this wouldn't be accessible without 3rd party apps. Sony was wrong to use weak security, but seeing as using a CC is optional I cannot blame them 100%, so fix it and move on.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    no but the CC# is used to BUY their shit, if you pay them they have to give some care atleast.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Modder Of The Dark Arts PSP Elite Hacker R()H@X's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrock1023 View Post
    nice, but the first lawsuit is actually with this guy name Kristopher
    i just go by what the informant sites tell me and this one tells me this is the first lawsuit. i never even seen nothing come up with a guy named kristopher or whatnot but ya qj tells me this is the 1st so i post it.point is they are being sued irrigardless whos first.that is irrelevant to the point

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    It's going to be interesting in how this plays out. I still believe Sony knows quite a bit more than they are letting on and this lawsuit will probably bring more of that to the light or they'll settle out.

10. #10 recommedn eetratio 
    i didnt put any credit info in, i always used psn codes. they take my email address i still have like 10 more. by the time they get to my home address i wont even live at that current address any more

Whether or not people think it is wise or not to use credit card information online is a besides the point. Sony violated the law by not having the information encrypted. This is not something that sony lawyers can just sweep under the rug. This lawsuit will proceed and the people will win. Now do not get me wrong if people are falsely stating their credit cards are being used to try and claim money from sony that is just wrong. I am not asking for freebies from sony nor do I expect any type of payment. Just my two cents.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP numba75's Avatar
    Did anyone's credit card information actually get stolen?

I mean Sony did say "certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network."
    At first I thought they were talking about credit card info, but they posted this two days later "there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility."

So what are they talking about when they say "account information" if it's not credit card info?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Numba, according to Sony and a couple of outside sources, it's just names and home addresses that was not encrypted, but CC info could have been compromised. The real issue is if the CVVs were stored on the network or not. Even if they weren't, Sony doesn't quite know if these CVVs had been compromised. Can't do much with just a credit card number.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP numba75's Avatar
    Ahh. Now that makes more since. I'm glad someone clarified that.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Skud_Bio's Avatar
    Has $ony gotten the hint to use us to maintain their security systems YET? They arent just a game sonsole company, why do they gotta run it like a bunch of children?

EDIT: FYI I wasnt really asking for answers.....the tootsie pop owl already gave me all teh info I needed
    .-=+SKUDBIO=+-.

SKUDALICIOUS BABY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast