Thread: What exactly is wrong with my PS3?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What exactly is wrong with my PS3? 
    First of all, at the time of crash, I was trying to transfer some music from my i-Pod to my PS3's hard drive. It suddeny crashed and I got a blinking red light, followed by a steady red light.

I powered it down (back switch), and turned it back on and got a warning about turning off my PS3 abruptly, etc etc.

I try to access my iPod again, but it does the same thing. This time, though, I try to boot it and I get all this:

--Green Light (boots up)
    --Yellowish Orange Light for a second
    --Blinking Red Light
    --also the little light next to the cylinder symbol lights up for a brief moment

It's been like this ever since. I can't even boot my PS3 long enough to eject a disc, it just powers up and shuts down and beeps at me whenever I try to press Eject...blinking red light into steady red light.

My PS3 was supposed to be a refurbished PS3 I got from Gamestop, and I'm not sure if you can call this a YLOD or not, but if that is the case what can I do? I can't even get my disc out short of dismantling the thing.

My PS2 lasted longer than this thing. :/ I took my Hard Drive out to cool both it and the console down, thinkng overheating was the cause...but now it's been at least an hour and nothing...

So can someone give advice on what I should do...I don't have the right tools for fixing PS3, or a place to actually fix it so...I'm kinda boned at the moment, and lost as to what to do....

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cael's Avatar
    i left the PS3 Scene when the nazis of sony Sezied it but.. sounds like an overheat to me, you'd likely need to just do a reflow.if it was constantly flashing red then you'd be fucked as usally it means a FW error.
    PSP 1000 6.60 ME-1.3
    From SecondLife:

Even though the punishment against piracy here is now lackluster.. if your pirating Seek no help here.

Well, it goes from Green to Yellow to Blinking Red...and remains the Blinking Red...until I shut it down by pressing power button, then it goes to normal steady red.

Spambuster Bitch PSP Elite Hacker dankgame's Avatar
    you need to reflow the mobo and get a new fan this is the most common problem but pull your HDD out and and try if it comes on then its a firmwear problem you can use my ylod guide if you like

http://www.pspmod.com/forums/ps3-har...-fix-ylod.html
    new members and old read thisvvvvvvvv
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/introdu...uncements.html

Wait, it was like that when I took my HDD out...and still got Blinking Red...so if it is a Firmware problem, what do I do?

if you took out the hdd and its still doing it then you need to reflow the mobo and get a better or new fan

Alright, thanks, though I'm not sure how much a replacement fan is going to cost. I did a fan test (holding eject while flipping on the main switch) and it seemed to cool down the system okay, but...hmm...not sure...

I'll go googling to see if replacement PS3 fans are available.

they are you need the model number from the back it has to match or the fan wont line up right

I want it all, brand new socks and draws! PSP Mad Hacker thecoo1est's Avatar
    isnt there a recovery menu,? maybe you can try to reset it to default or something, worth a shot anyway.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cael's Avatar
    its likely as suggested overheat.. when a PS3 overheats traces become brittle and solder cracks. a Reflow fixes it but not for long.
    PSP 1000 6.60 ME-1.3
    From SecondLife:

Even though the punishment against piracy here is now lackluster.. if your pirating Seek no help here.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoo1est View Post
    isnt there a recovery menu,? maybe you can try to reset it to default or something, worth a shot anyway.
    It won't even boot, so not even that. It won't even power up long enough to get my disc out.

I might take it in to Gophermods LLC.

@Cael, what do you mean by "not for long"? You saying it's gonna break down again even after it gets fixed? If I took it into those guys, would it get fixed for sure so that it lasts longer? (At least last longer than my PS2, goshdarnit)...

Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    Reflow your system and this problem will go away.

I want it all, brand new socks and draws! PSP Mad Hacker thecoo1est's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimeblade View Post
    It won't even boot, so not even that. It won't even power up long enough to get my disc out.

I might take it in to Gophermods LLC.

@Cael, what do you mean by "not for long"? You saying it's gonna break down again even after it gets fixed? If I took it into those guys, would it get fixed for sure so that it lasts longer? (At least last longer than my PS2, goshdarnit)...
    it doesnt need to boot to get to recovery.

Hold The power button down until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
    When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
    You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
    The Recovery menu will pop up.

if you cant get into recovery, you definitely need a reflow

^^^^^^^^^you need to have power more it to get to recovery bro it has to fully turn on and turn bu its self then hold it again till you here two beeps its all covered in my guide

ok op if you take it to someone they should give you a year warrenty or 60 days but if your having them reflow it you wanna make sure to tell them to use no clean flux its more of a perm fix ive don this many time i got a 60 gig thats been working for 2 years fixed another in jan was gonna give it to el guapo but i broke a clip and fucked it the ps3 still runs just cant read disc lol

About that...would you guys say this is reliable?

PS3 Repair Service - Yellow Light of Death - Blinking Red Light

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast