Thread: Sony to soon implement a "PSN Pass" on Online games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Sony to soon implement a "PSN Pass" on Online games. 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cael's Avatar
    We all knew it was coming since January when it was rumored that Sony would start implementing activation codes on future PS3 games. Brand new games will come packaged with an online code that you are required to input before any of the game’s online features are available to you.

This is obviously Sony’s response to piracy as well as the used games industry.

Originally posted on IGN-

Yesterday, German website Konsolentreff published early photos of the Resistance 3 PS3 bundle box showing a new logo that says “PSN Pass.”

The message read: “Network features only available in countries that have PlayStation Store.” However, no other details were provided.

SCEA responded to requests for comment this morning to clarify, saying this program requires customers to input a one-time use code to access a game’s online capabilities, similar to EA’s Online Pass introduced last year.

“We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering, and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities,” the spokesperson said. “This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title.

“This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio.”

If you don’t have a code to input, say if you purchase the game used, you’ll have to buy one through the Store. It’s unclear how much one of these PSN Pass codes will cost, however.

Sony said it will announce additional details at a later date.
    PSP 1000 6.60 ME-1.3
    From SecondLife:

Even though the punishment against piracy here is now lackluster.. if your pirating Seek no help here.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    good!! still free to play, just buy the damn games like you're supposed to, no worries!!! shouldn't see any anti posts in here for this bit of news
    [CENTER]

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkFoxSniper's Avatar
    Good idea.Not that it changes anything if your a legit user.

Quote Originally Posted by iedwardsIII
    In the words of DFS, go die.

PSP Motherboard F.A.Q. Coldboot Tutorial

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    As usual, I'll be the anti-post.

This gives them some control over the used games market but more obviously just makes them even more money.

How would you like to buy a used car, but no matter which used car you bought you'd need to purchase a new hood, trunk, and doors from the manufacturer seperately and after the fact? And when it came time to sell it, you had to give the same hood, trunk, and doors you already paid for back to the manufacturer for free so they could resell them to someone else. Same thing.

MONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEY!!!

5. #5 Well this was inevitable I guess 
    And yeah, totally agree with Slowman, corporations will do anything to make that quick buck.
    But I'm assuming the PSN pass will not be implemented for Third-Party titles. This doesn't really change anything for me much, I'm just wondering how it will change the whole trade-in/exchange system retailers support, since there are a lot of people who use that system, myself included.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowman View Post
    As usual, I'll be the anti-post.

This gives them some control over the used games market but more obviously just makes them even more money.

How would you like to buy a used car, but no matter which used car you bought you'd need to purchase a new hood, trunk, and doors from the manufacturer seperately and after the fact? And when it came time to sell it, you had to give the same hood, trunk, and doors you already paid for back to the manufacturer for free so they could resell them to someone else. Same thing.

MONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEY!!!

well if they did something stupid like that, saying that i have to purchase an online pass for any of my already bought games that i play online, then yeah they can kiss my ass!! but that makes no sense, on the psp's for example, socom 3 had the pass and if you didn't have it, it cost to purchase the pass but no other online games like socom 2, RR required a task like that

but i see the argument for the 3rd party buying it used to play online...stay current lol
    [CENTER]

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    Why should I have to validate my copy? Isn't Sony's job to implement a simple checker to do so (Microsoft has, why won't they)? The answer is this isn't just aimed at piracy, its aimed at the actual biggest threat to devs and that's the used game market. To me this isn't right, however, I can only hope a boycott removes this feature or else I expect to see a disappointing future where I can't buy shit used. That's just my opinion however.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkFoxSniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goku2778 View Post
    well if they did something stupid like that, saying that i have to purchase an online pass for any of my already bought games that i play online, then yeah they can kiss my ass!! but that makes no sense, on the psp's for example, socom 3 had the pass and if you didn't have it, it cost to purchase the pass but no other online games like socom 2, RR required a task like that

but i see the argument for the 3rd party buying it used to play online...stay current lol
    Modnation Racers on the PSP also has an online purchase requirement if you wish to game online..if I remember right it was like $14.99 which honestly for a PSP game just to play online is outrageous.Thought I was gonna have to buy it for the Welcome Back version of MNR but it's included so not bad I suppose.

Most companies hate the whole trade-in scene anyway so if it screws them they really could care less.

Quote Originally Posted by iedwardsIII
    In the words of DFS, go die.

PSP Motherboard F.A.Q. Coldboot Tutorial

Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    It takes the anti-capitalism guy to make a better argument.

So, sony pass. I'm going ahead and assume this will have the same rules as other online passes, where online capabilities on used games are rendered useless until you pay the company for a separate online pass, as well as the used game's price. It would be argued that this pass would help keep users legit, no more hacking in games, and generally give a better play experience with rainbows and ponies.

Let's hypothetically say I downloaded an iso of Resistance Retribution. I have a hacked psp, and I can hack online.
    Now let's say I bought the used UMD and paid for a pass, I can still hack online. Nothing's changed.

Now, on PS3, let's say I have an IQ of 50 and I downloaded Resistance 3 off a torrent and immediately tried to play online. With no way to bypass the security pass YET, I cannot play online.
    So let's say I buy I it. Am I wrong if I assume that if I run a legit game, even online, with a hacked ps3, I still wouldn't be banned? So, the 2nd scenario with the psp would apply here, making us pay for a pass would make the game no more secure as it was, there are still going to be hackers. The only block this online pass gives to hackers is the block of economy, bypassable with a few bucks.

Also, Sony is implementing it, not the game devs, so the money goes directly to them, and there will be no extra features on PSN, at least that I'm aware of. Here is where the REAL evil lies. Now, people will have to pay for online passes on an used game, which on EA games is $10. Let's say it costs the same for a PSN pass. This means you'll now be officially paying for PSN use one way or the other, either with a new copy's ridiculously high price, or the $10. I know i've been criticizing Live and anything Xboxy like crazy, but this changes the field. Now that PSN has a price, there's no other way to look at it, PSN <<< Live now. With Live, you get stable servers, chat and whatever other doohickies for 50 a year. With PSN, you'll get the same shit, slightly less stable and now the worry of stolen account info for the price of approximately $10 per game. PER GAME.

Now tell me, what possible good comes out of this?
    Last edited by thesexyone; 07-07-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

...even a noob like you can click the link...

For the record, I'm very pro-capitalism. Capitalism thrives on mutually beneficial relationships. I don't see the benefit here for anyone but Sony. This isn't capitalism, it's a company taking advantage of their size in order to vaccum money out of your pocket and bully secondhand shops, and I'm calling them out on it.

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    another reason why i am happy not having a newer console besides a ps2. haveing to put up with this shit is bad, but the fact its there is bullshit.

should have seen this coming after they raided graf's house in Germany and no one said anything about it. if they can raid peoples houses, they can fuck everyone in the ass just as easily. ha, legit ps3 users are close to full on anal pounding here. id say throw the shit out before before it gets so bad that every time you start a game kaz's face comes on saying "i see you, i know where you live"

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cael's Avatar
    Xavis my PS3 was sezied by those fucking nazis Just for helping Mr Gatz on the Asbestos Loader before OtherOS++ was released. basically sony's going after any dev or anyone related to developing unlicensed code for the PS3 really >_<

i Just forsee this going to follow suit on the PS Vita if it gets just as blown open as the current PSP's have.
    PSP 1000 6.60 ME-1.3
    From SecondLife:

Even though the punishment against piracy here is now lackluster.. if your pirating Seek no help here.

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    Xavis my PS3 was sezied by those fucking nazis Just for helping Mr Gatz on the Asbestos Loader before OtherOS++ was released. basically sony's going after any dev or anyone related to developing unlicensed code for the PS3 really >_<

i Just forsee this going to follow suit on the PS Vita if it gets just as blown open as the current PSP's have.
    thats fucking bullshit. i heard that project was canceled or something.....dont remember where.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

I also remember hearing that Sony "supports independent devs and homebrew". Apparently that's not the case I take it?

Senior Asshole PSP Elite Hacker cowboycalstar's Avatar
    while this is kind of old news(not so much the PSN pass, but the purchase of a separate online pass to play online), I feel it's a smart move on Sony's part to gouge moar monies from it's monkeytarded fanbase who'll gladly pay the fee to freely call people niggers and faggots online. what i am a bit irate about, and has been mentioned earlier, is that it does make the 'smart' consumer (read: poor/cheap/frugal people) who like to wait for deals for those certain games to go to the used status to save a significant amount of moolah to pretty much pay back what they saved on the deal by coughing up what we like to call at the Palace of Wisdom a 'Pants Down' fee. what this means is that you are going to willingly pull your 'Pants Down' and bend over and like it for having brand loyalty. i'm not talking about raging douche nugget fanboy loyalty, i'm referring to being willing to put money, or invest, into a product you already spent mom's first 2 checks from working at wally world on. all this is just to prove that Amazing Penguin is the greatest game ever and that danny12507 is a raging homo. not to mention i whupped batman's ass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast