Thread: flash drive with PSP?

1. #1 flash drive with PSP? 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    hey guys, i have a 2gb adn a 1gb usb flash drive - is there any way of using these with my PSP? i have a 2gb MS, and somewhere i have another one. but there jstu never seems to be enough space!

i woudl assume that it wont work via teh USB connector, is there an adapter or something i coudl use? or woudl a custom firmware be able to take advantage of that?

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Micr0chiP's Avatar
    From what i read, that could only be possible by re-writing the USB drivers on the PC and PSP.
    The problem (i think) is that the PSP doesn´t act like a host computer to talk to the USB pen(both are trying to be USB drives).
    I´ve read that someone is working on that to conect a solid state hard disk to the PSP, but last time i saw anything about that, the mod maker was not talking anymore and was working on making a better mod and only afterwards it would make a tutorial... i´m going to try and find that post for you.

Edit:Looks like Sony is looking in to that also:

GamesIndustry.biz recently had a discussion with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) CEO David Reeves and the above mentioned topic was brought up. According to Reeves, the idea is still being considered even though a new PSP model is being introduced. He explained:

There's a point in time when you have to put a stake in the ground and say we're going to go with flash memory or we're going to go with hard drive. I don't think they've put that stake in the ground just yet. So they're thinking about it. I think they'll get through Christmas and think about what the next step would be. You might hear more later.
    Source

And here it is the forums discussion that i was talking up there, makes for some interesting reading.
    Last edited by Micr0chiP; 02-11-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    PSP History: 3.40 -> 3.50 -> The Lumines Incident -> 1.50 -> 3.03 OEC -> 3.53 M33 -> 3.71 m33 -> 3.80 m33 -> 4.01 m33 - All systems are go for play