Thread: I'm a Noob with Questions (Probably Pretty Common)

1. #1 I'm a Noob with Questions (Probably Pretty Common) 
    Junior Member PSP User
    Hey all--Like the title says, I'm a noob to the PSP. On a forum this popular, I'm sure you all hate getting asked the same questions. Well that's where I come in. Tomorrow, I'm buying a fat PSP, six games, home and car charger, two cases, and a 32 mb memory stick in almost perfect condition for $125. Here's some questions for ya:

1) I assume I'm going to be running 1.5 firmware? It is unmodifided as of right now as far as I know.

2) I've looked up Pandora and what I'm getting from it is that it downgrades all PSP's to the very hackable 1.5 firmware?

3) To get, say, the original Super Mario Bros. on my PSP, will I have to open it up? I'm thinking not but wanted to make sure.

4) I looked up battery life and in tests at full volume with full screen brightness it last for about four hours during normal gameplay and 10+ hours with MP3 playback?

5) I've seen the list of mods but very few of the links were valid. Am I looking at an old website?

I've tried to research what I'm talking about because I know how frustrating it is to have noobs come in and ask stupid questions. I'm sure I still sound like a noob, but hopefully less of one. --Scott

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkFoxSniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldscsc View Post
    Hey all--Like the title says, I'm a noob to the PSP. On a forum this popular, I'm sure you all hate getting asked the same questions. Well that's where I come in. Tomorrow, I'm buying a fat PSP, six games, home and car charger, two cases, and a 32 mb memory stick in almost perfect condition for $125. Here's some questions for ya:

1) I assume I'm going to be running 1.5 firmware? It is unmodifided as of right now as far as I know.

2) I've looked up Pandora and what I'm getting from it is that it downgrades all PSP's to the very hackable 1.5 firmware?

3) To get, say, the original Super Mario Bros. on my PSP, will I have to open it up? I'm thinking not but wanted to make sure.

4) I looked up battery life and in tests at full volume with full screen brightness it last for about four hours during normal gameplay and 10+ hours with MP3 playback?

5) I've seen the list of mods but very few of the links were valid. Am I looking at an old website?

I've tried to research what I'm talking about because I know how frustrating it is to have noobs come in and ask stupid questions. I'm sure I still sound like a noob, but hopefully less of one. --Scott
    1)Really can't answer that as we do not know what the person who had it before you had on it.

2)Pandora can downgrade to 1.50 but most people just use it to upgrade directly to the Custom Firmware they want.

3)No you will not need to open the PSP up.All you'll have to do is find the emulator for the system you want to play it on.

4)Sounds a bit right but that all depends on a few things..like what your CPU speed(Max of 333) will be set at.

5)Idk if it's an old website or not...post the websites name.

Quote Originally Posted by iedwardsIII
    In the words of DFS, go die.

PSP Motherboard F.A.Q. Coldboot Tutorial

Can I restore all my psp slim (custom firware 3.71 M33) software back to sony Official Firmware? I need to send it back to sony for repairs as my UMD drive does not work? My warranty runs out in 7days - Please Help?

If you have Pandora's Battery then yes you can restore it to 3.71 OFW with DC3.

Junior Member PSP User
    I'll try to find the site again.

I hate being a noob...can I put an emulator on my PSP if it's running original 1.5 firmware or do I need to upgrade? --Please excuse my ignorance

As long as the Emulator that your using is coded for the 1.50 kernel then yes.

Junior Member PSP User
    I got it yesterday. I'll try to get some pics up for ya. I had fun playing it yesterday, and was surprised how well it browses the internet. I look at system settings, and it is running 5.1 (5.01?) firmware. It is a 1000 series.