Thread: psp tech help

1. #1 psp tech help 
    hi , firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section or already been answered in some way , ive been searching now for weeks . ok so im trying to connect my external harddrive to my psp slim 2000 model , now i must say that i understand that the psp/psp slim comes with no usb host function and as such this is my problem . i know there are harddrives out there that are psp friendly/usb hosting but as i already have a very large ext hdd i dont want to folk out on another one in a sense . my hdd is fat32 and sony friendly as it works great on the ps3 already . i have done some extensive searching and found a few sites ( cant remember the ones ) but they show people using keyboards , controllers , usb memory sticks and say this is usb hosting but dont give any instructions on how they do it , and as such im thinking they have got themselves confused and said the wrong thing . also i have found in the same sites people saying that they have modded a pro duo adapter to use usb devices as the pro duo slot is a host . so i guess my question is , can i attach my external hdd to my psp to play music , games , movies etc and if so , how ? if this is something that cannot be done , what is stopping me from doing this ?

a very big thanks to anyone who can help me with this or shed some light on the subject

retro richie

hi cusinnd , cheers for your reply , yes im trying to use the mini usb port on top of the psp and no i dont have a hdd which says its compatable with the psp ( harddrive which is a usb host ), if i did there'd be no problem , lol , my problem is that the psp doesnt come as a usb host and as such will not read external harddrives , im pretty sure that there must be some way around this but i dont know that much about game consoles , ive read that the psp's hardware is not designed to be a usb host but then you go on u tube and there people using theres as one , but just not in the same way as im wanting to , i.e , there using keyboards etc . also if im not mistaken if a device has a usb port with the right software they too can be the host in an usb enviroment , but as i said i dont know that much if any on the usb hosting .

thanks again

retrorichie

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker tomaversa's Avatar
    http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=21818.0

This should answer your questions about hard drives and psps.

Heres a few words of wisdom:

When life gives you lemons, find someone whose life is giving them vodka.

Never fry bacon naked....

hi tomaversa , thanks for your reply mate , the website link you've provided is very imformative and has alot of info and video's that will be very usefull to me , so a big thank you for that . i dont suppose you know of any websites like that one that is a bit more upto date tho as the last post on there in this subject is 02 August 2008 and maybe there is more of a break through now . if not no worries , i will just have to get my mad scientist head on and play about with some ideas of there , lol

big thanks again

retrorichie

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker tomaversa's Avatar
    Yea, i don't think there has been much further development of the PSP Hard Drive situation for a while....I would suggest looking through that site http://www.acidmods.com/forum/ for anything else having to do with it....If theres has been anything else, i guarantee you it will be on there.

Heres a few words of wisdom:

When life gives you lemons, find someone whose life is giving them vodka.

Never fry bacon naked....

hi tomaversa , ok mate and a big thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction. ive got some free time coming up after next week so im going to have a look at all the project to as far as it got and hopefully i might be able to get something going ( mad scientist moment ) lol , if i do i will certainly post back with what works or doesnt ( as the case may be ) lol

again a big thanks to you mate

retrorichie