Thread: A few questions from a newbie

1. #1 A few questions from a newbie 
    Junior Member PSP User
    I just got a couple simple questions about pandora so, I only have one battery right now and I was planning on modding it and just using the AC adapter until I get around to buying a new battery, are there any downsides from using a psp with no battery? and I've read the guides about modding the batteries where you have to cut out the pin, how easy is it to mess up and ruin the battery and what should I be careful not to do? and last, I've been looking online for new batteries and can't really find anything, does anyone know any retail stores that still carry them at a reasonable price? thanks for any and all help ^^

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Jccage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNNR View Post
    I just got a couple simple questions about pandora so, I only have one battery right now and I was planning on modding it and just using the AC adapter until I get around to buying a new battery, are there any downsides from using a psp with no battery? and I've read the guides about modding the batteries where you have to cut out the pin, how easy is it to mess up and ruin the battery and what should I be careful not to do? and last, I've been looking online for new batteries and can't really find anything, does anyone know any retail stores that still carry them at a reasonable price? thanks for any and all help ^^
    1. Downsides are obviously you have to Psp permanently plugged in.

2. Your A LOT better off buying one online, or using someone elses already hacked Psp and turning it in to a pandora using that.

Remember, if your under 5.03 you don't need a pandora to hack it.
    Hacking Basics, And how to do it. Click here.

Junior Member PSP User
    eh I don't really mind leaving it plugged in since I only use it at home anyways, I was just wondering if only one battery would mess up downgrading or something. I currently don't have a cc so I can't buy stuff online and no friends have psp and I'm at 6.20 so I'm kind of screwed :/. I plan on downgrading later tonight but there are so many guides and terms that I don't fully understand, what version should I go to?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Jccage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNNR View Post
    eh I don't really mind leaving it plugged in since I only use it at home anyways, I was just wondering if only one battery would mess up downgrading or something. I currently don't have a cc so I can't buy stuff online and no friends have psp and I'm at 6.20 so I'm kind of screwed :/. I plan on downgrading later tonight but there are so many guides and terms that I don't fully understand, what version should I go to?
    5.00 M33, Which is what you'll go to anyways.
    Hacking Basics, And how to do it. Click here.

Junior Member PSP User
    one more question I just thought of, I only have one memory card which is a 2 gb pro duo, is it still possible to downgrade with just having one card, or can I convert it back from being a mms?

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker seagrtj's Avatar
    Yes, once you get cfw on, you can reformat your MS from your PSP and it will be a normal MS again.

Junior Member PSP User
    so when I downgrade it will go to 5.00 m33? can I just upgrade that straight to 5.50 GEN-D or is there a certain way to do it, if anyone has any good guides I should use I that would probably help, I'm just not sure which one because there are way too many. sorry I have so many questions haha, I really do appreciate your help so far

Elite Bullshitter PSP Elite Hacker Jubbabubba's Avatar
    You can go directly from 5.00m33-6 -> 5.50 Gen-D3.

Installing CFW:
    Step 1:
    Installing 5.00m33-6 (Hellcat's Recovery Flasher V1.60):

1: Download: PSP Downloads | Recovery Flasher v1.60
    2: Download: PSP Downloads | 5.00 Firmware Update
    3: Extract "RECOVERY" to X:PSP/GAME/
    4: Extract the Eboot.PBP to X:PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/ *Rename the Eboot.PBP to 500.PBP*
    5: Run Hellcat's, make sure the Target firmware is set to 5.00, then go down one and select Install CFW. Followed by "reset (format) settings as well" *It is recommended that you have your AC adapter plugged in as well while flashing fw. If the psp were to turn off mid flash, it would result in a bricked psp. Restorable only by Pandora + MMS*

Step 2:
    Installing 5.50 Gen-D3 (Latest cfw):

1: Download: PSP Downloads | Custom Firmware 5.50 GEN-D3
    2: Remove any UPDATE folder from X:PSP/GAME/
    3: Extract 550.PBP & the PSP folder to the Root of your MS.
    4: Run the installer. *It is recommended that you have your AC adapter plugged in as well while flashing fw. If the psp were to turn off mid flash, it would result in a bricked psp. Restorable by Recovery modes Recovery Folder (Accessed by holding down the Right trigger when turning the psp on) or Pandora + MMS*

^^ Thefted from mah ChickHen Guide for hackables.

Pay no mind to Hellcat's if you're using Pandora + MMS though >_>

Junior Member PSP User
    well that seems simple enough haha, thank you. I think I've gotten all my questions so far answered, so thanks for your help guys ^^

you know, My MMS still works, and currently im using it to store homebrew and other stuff. It still surprisingly boots into recovery with pandora :P
    Make a 5.50 GEN-D3 Magic Memory Stick

My firmware journey

3.80 m33-5 > 4.01 m33-4 > 5.00 m33-4 > 5.00 m33-6 > 5.50 Gen A > 5.50 Gen B > 5.50 GEN B-2 > 5.00 GEN D > 5.50 GEN D-2 > 5.50 GEN D-3 > 5.00 m33-6

Sorry Gen lovers, going back to m33

such a long journey....