Thread: Newb Question about CFW's (In Hacking Guide)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1 Newb Question about CFW's (In Hacking Guide) 
    Member PSP User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    Hey, newb here.

    I have a PSP 1000, and i have a pandora battery from here : Pandora Battery Shop
    On the way..

    Now, I was reading the PSP hacking guide for newbs (the giant one) and I had a question about something I didnt quite understand. When it says

    "Step 1: Install 5.00 m33" or whatever, then goes on to tell you to install Gen as well, is the guide saying that you should install ALL 3 CFW's? Is that even possible? I'm completely new to this, so I'm not sure whether or not its possible to install multiple CFW's and switch between them..

    Basically, I want to be able to buy new PSP games and be able to play them as well as playing PSX games

    Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Nargle; 04-11-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     



  2. #2  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,037
    well, you don't have to flash this to get to that and blah blah...

    newer games, i say you want 5.50genD3...psx games, you're gonna want 5.00m33-6 for its higher compatibility for those. but my few psx games run just fine on D3.

    i loaded my mms with a ton of things for any scenario or whatever else needed...it flashes 5.00m33-4 from Rains programmer, has D3 on it, D1/2, hellcats, psp tool, leda (for test m33 i run), game categories plugin.

    you can check my Gen guide, 2nd link in my sig and then the 1st link in my sig for the test m33 thing i mentioned.
    [CENTER]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Member PSP User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    So you're saying that you keep the MMS around, and when you want to play certain things you simply slap in a pandora battery and flash to a different CFW when you want?

    I hadn't even started looking at how to make my own MMS, because the Pandora I bought with comes with

    "Install any Firmware 1.50 - 5.00 M33-6+"

    So I'm assuming it comes with all sorts of firmware up to 5.00 M33-6.

    So then, you're saying I should add Gen onto the memory stick myself and install that, and it hsould work for PSX games...and if it doesnt, I just flash it to 5.00 M33?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,037
    not exactly...i really don't "flash" anything at all repeatedly or even occasionally.

    i emulate everything by that route, using the mms for certain things...it emulates 5.00m33-4, it's pretty much like saying it's dual booting...make sense???

    like windows and linux...BUT if you're really looking to play psx games, like you got a lot to burn on it. FLASH it with 5.00m33-6 cause you'll need to physically dump all the pops for maximum compatibilities on psx.

    most newer games you can decrypt for m33-6 though, D3 will auto do this which is why i prefer it...i don't have a lot of psx games on it, but the few i have do run on D3. i only keep all those Gen's on my mms for "just in case" purposes of any nature.
    [CENTER]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Member PSP User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    Hmmm...I'm confused to be honest. Do you mean you keep the MMS in at all times and that lets you "emulate"? I mean, I understand the idea of dual booting because of a hard-drive, but on a PSP i'm a little more confused.

    Basically, I'm getting a 1gig memory stick with the pandora battery from the website, and I was going to keep that CFW on that stick.

    Are you saying that I should put CFW's on my 8 gig sticks to emulate when I need it? In other words, should the MMS be in the PSP at all times?

    I actually am really interested in emulating PSX games on the PSP...moreso than playing actual PSP games. I'm not saying I wont want to play some MGS games and whatnot, but I like the idea of PSP emulation of older systems much more than I like the PSP games that have come out. Also, like you said, there does seem to be a way to patch games to be able to work on 5.00.

    Bottom line, I would preferably like to be at a point where I could play PSX games and then comfortably play the PSP games I want to
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,127
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    5.00-M33 is the most stable cfw there is out there and it will run all homebrew and most games.

    i underlined it and gave step 2's "optional" warning a bit more elaboration.


    i got 5.00 m33-6 myself, and that alone is enough to run your psx games, there is no difference between GEN and M33 when it comes to this. If this, and emulating (exactly what i do) is your main purpose for the psp, then by all means just install M33, and proceed to install popsloader for the psx games.

    as for goku's recommendation, yes it requires the MMS (they can be used normally too, as long as the mod files aren't altered) and pandora. What this does is keep your psp in Official firmware, but you can boot it in M33 at any time. This is most useful when you have umd's you like to play online with, keep in mind you can't use PSN when you have cfw.
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

    ...even a noob like you can click the link...

    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Member PSP User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    Ooooh. Well, then I might just go with Gen, to make it easy. As far as playing online, its a novelty but not necessarily something I definitely would use a lot.

    Let's assume I installed a CFW, Gen for instance. Then I got a game that I wanted to play online.

    Could I use hellcats or pandora to flash to like....official firmware again and go online at a future date? Or when do you go CFW can you not go back? Or, for that matter, if you go too far with firmware, can 1000's always go back regardless?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by thesexyone View Post
    i underlined it and gave step 2's "optional" warning a bit more elaboration.


    i got 5.00 m33-6 myself, and that alone is enough to run your psx games, there is no difference between GEN and M33 when it comes to this. If this, and emulating (exactly what i do) is your main purpose for the psp, then by all means just install M33, and proceed to install popsloader for the psx games.

    as for goku's recommendation, yes it requires the MMS (they can be used normally too, as long as the mod files aren't altered) and pandora. What this does is keep your psp in Official firmware, but you can boot it in M33 at any time. This is most useful when you have umd's you like to play online with, keep in mind you can't use PSN when you have cfw.
    You can also be on D3 and emulate M33 for those apps that require it. I do this occasionally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nargle View Post
    Ooooh. Well, then I might just go with Gen, to make it easy. As far as playing online, its a novelty but not necessarily something I definitely would use a lot.

    Let's assume I installed a CFW, Gen for instance. Then I got a game that I wanted to play online.

    Could I use hellcats or pandora to flash to like....official firmware again and go online at a future date? Or when do you go CFW can you not go back? Or, for that matter, if you go too far with firmware, can 1000's always go back regardless?
    1k's can go to any firmware.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,127
    your psp can be downgraded, yes. there's a guide to that in my thread too
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

    ...even a noob like you can click the link...

    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Member PSP User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    Hrm ok. So I guess it makes sense to go with Gen, emulate M33 when I have to, and if I get a PSP game I want to take online, I could flash it to an official firmware. Seems to meet the most of my requirements, especially if it plays PSX games fine.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Nargle View Post
    Hrm ok. So I guess it makes sense to go with Gen, emulate M33 when I have to, and if I get a PSP game I want to take online, I could flash it to an official firmware. Seems to meet the most of my requirements, especially if it plays PSX games fine.
    My current plan of action

    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    Member PSP User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    Hahah yeah. Your guide is just fantastic. I'm trying to learn some of the THEORY behind the magic, in order to more truly understand precisely what I'm doing, so I feel less clueless ;p All of your advice and information has been greatly appreciated. To be honest, I'm literally dying inside waiting for this pandora battery to come in the mail x_x.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    Financially Raped PSP Elite Hacker thesexyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,127
    bb, what exactly can you run on m33 that doesn't run on gen? i never came upon something like that
    TRY PSP HACKING FOR DUMMIES!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-ps...tml#post514825

    ...even a noob like you can click the link...

    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    Member PSP User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    Does he mean, perhaps PSX games? On other websites I had heard of some PSX games not running on Gen, but they could be morons for all I know.. haha
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by thesexyone View Post
    bb, what exactly can you run on m33 that doesn't run on gen? i never came upon something like that
    IR Shell.

    /filler

    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. need idiots guide to psp hacking
    By headrox in forum PSP Software, Firmware & Plugins
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 10:59 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 04:35 AM
  3. Legion 101 PSP Hacking Guide from A to Z
    By Redameon in forum PSP Software, Firmware & Plugins
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 02:01 AM
  4. Dummies Guide to Hacking *ANY* PSP
    By byris in forum PSP Hardware & Repair
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •