Thread: psp-2003 bricked any ideas black screen but i have sound ?

1. #1 psp-2003 bricked any ideas black screen but i have sound ? 
    i my names jamie i'm a newby i need some help please.
    i have a psp which i think is bricked. when i switch it on. all i get is a black screen and it lights up at the back of the screen and i get sound but no picture not even a word on it pure black. i'v tryed the brighness but no look there it olters the screen to veries diffent setting but no look . i can get it to charge a battery no problem there .carn't enable the wifi. so i'm thinging this must be bricked some how .i haddent installed any software to try and modifi it .i just carn't understand it
    i tred to download some tool to fix this gizmo but carn't seem to get it to work.
    it tell me to put my psp in the usb port of my comp. but my machine doesent find it.
    i used rains ultra lite where it makes the card up for you .but carn't use it
    i think i pritty confident in makeing a battery up for it lol .that if it needs it

ps it got some date on the back of it it says date code 7
    bar code 0327401019 0153120 psp2003

i have no idea what firmware is installed on it or what vershion it is
    any help would be greatfull i hope this helps
    regards jamie

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    so, what were you doing with this psp just before it went like this? or did you get it damaged?

what is the history of this psp, just before it got to this state? bricked or dropped and causing hardware damage

how come you don't know what firmware was installed onto it? not even if its was ofw or cfw?

ok. the pc doesn't recognise the psp when connected by usb cable. however, you can get the memory card reader on a pc to read the memstick. so, you can still transfer files (maybe homebrew, if it had cfw) onto the memstick for the psp. how do you know whether the card reader on the psp itself works? if the card reader on the psp is stuffed, then hardware repair...

edit - on second thoughts, if the memstick was formatted by the psp (xmb > system settings > format memstick) and you haven't reformatted that memstick since, then you can tell if its a custom firmware or not by the files/folders contained in the root of the memstick (ms0:/) - folders such as ms0:/PSP/GAMES 5xx and other folders there, etc...?
    Last edited by FNQer; 11-30-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    TA-081 (neur0n 6.60ME v1.8) + TA-085v2 (neur0n 6.60ME v1.6) + Brite (OFW5.03) + PSP-Go + Phat PS3 40GB/FW3.15 + PlayTV

NDS Lite + DSi

iPod Touch 1G/16GB 3.1.3JB + iPod Touch 4G/32GB 4.2.1JB

MSI Wind U100/2gb ram/500 gb hdd/WinXP Pro SP 3/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Q6600/Foxconn Mars P35/4 GB DDR2/8800GTS-512/Vista +

Acer A500 + HTC IC + Acer5750G/Win7

Quote Originally Posted by FNQer View Post
    so, what were you doing with this psp just before it went like this? or did you get it damaged?

what is the history of this psp, just before it got to this state? bricked or dropped and causing hardware damage

how come you don't know what firmware was installed onto it? not even if its was ofw or cfw?

ok. the pc doesn't recognise the psp when connected by usb cable. however, you can get the memory card reader on a pc to read the memstick. so, you can still transfer files (maybe homebrew, if it had cfw) onto the memstick for the psp. how do you know whether the card reader on the psp itself works? if the card reader on the psp is stuffed, then hardware repair...

edit - on second thoughts, if the memstick was formatted by the psp (xmb > system settings > format memstick) and you haven't reformatted that memstick since, then you can tell if its a custom firmware or not by the files/folders contained in the root of the memstick (ms0:/) - folders such as ms0:/PSP/GAMES 5xx and other folders there, etc...?
    i'v had it for a few months now i was playing on it then i turned it off as normal. when i come to it it just doesent do nothink the memory card light flickers orange on start up .and about the firmware i never took any notice to be honest with you

the memory card all i have on that is
    3 file when you acces the memory card which are
    MEMSTICK.IND

MSTK_PRO.IND

and a folder called psp
    inside this folder i have saved data folder
    and system
    with the browser history in side of it
    hope this help
    regard jamie
    ps thankyou for your reply

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    i am think9ing out loud...so bear with me...

then it sounds like you had official firmware... that mstk_pro.ind and memstick.ind is on memsticks that are formatted by cfw or ofw psp's. i haven't got ofw, so i can't confirm - but you should have had also MUSIC, PICTURE and VIDEO folders (named in upper case) in the ms0:/, regardless of whether its on cfw or ofw.

so you were strictly playing UMD or PSN downloads - or were you playing games off the memstick?

have you tried different memstick? have you swapped the usb cable? does it play UMD?

I have my suspects - faulty motherboard.

i can't see how you bricked the psp - if it was ofw then it doesn't run homebrew and if you attempted to run homebrew on ofw, it would have just stated that its corrupted data which it cannot read. if it was cfw, then still i doubt whether you could get into recovery mode (was it power button slide on and holding down R-trigger button simultaneously...

if your psp had cfw on it - you would have known all about the iso loader, popsloader, homebrew, etc - so i am thinking you probably only had ofw... was this psp bought second-hand or brand-new off the store shelves? obviously, you didn't hack the psp...

the date code and the letters at the beginning of the serial numbers are ways to determine whether the slim psp is fully hackable or tethered cfw or not hackable. using date codes and serial number you are trying to figure out whether its a slim with a TA-088v3 motherboard or not. for our immediate purposes, i think this topic is moot...

so, presently the leads are pointing towards a hardware failture....

edit - i did first state i am thinking out loud.

the psp can run without the memstick inserted. so, you can still get to the xmb (cross media bar, menu system) and play umd games. you can't have access to your favourites list (if created in first place) in your internet browser on your psp, without the stored data on the memstick (i think), but you type the web address and you have internet access.

so, your wifi and card reader is stuffed, because the motherboard is?
    Last edited by FNQer; 12-01-2010 at 10:50 AM.
    TA-081 (neur0n 6.60ME v1.8) + TA-085v2 (neur0n 6.60ME v1.6) + Brite (OFW5.03) + PSP-Go + Phat PS3 40GB/FW3.15 + PlayTV

NDS Lite + DSi

iPod Touch 1G/16GB 3.1.3JB + iPod Touch 4G/32GB 4.2.1JB

MSI Wind U100/2gb ram/500 gb hdd/WinXP Pro SP 3/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Q6600/Foxconn Mars P35/4 GB DDR2/8800GTS-512/Vista +

Acer A500 + HTC IC + Acer5750G/Win7